Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Payment Providers

Options
  • 06-01-2021 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hello, I am looking for a web payment provider for use on our existing web site. I have just been thru the ringer with Stripe, SumUp and PayPal. I am at my wits end trying to deal with these crooks. My experiences with all three of the above have been un imaginable. Does anybody know of a payment provider that isn't run by robots or people behaving like robots.

One example below, I actually received his email from Stripe last year. We have over 100 brands listed on our web site.

Hi Customer,

Thanks for using Stripe!

We noticed that your website seems to sell some fairly popular brands, and are writing to request documentation that confirms your store is authorized to sell these brands. Payouts to your bank account will be paused until we can verify this information.

Another example from PayPal. (new PayPal account)

I received a web order today. Customer pays in advance for our goods or service. As it happens our products are usually installed at the customers home. Pre pay policy has not been a problem for our customers in the past, no more that it is for any other online ordering.

PayPal are holding the funds from this order for 21 days OR until the customer logs into their PayPal account (assuming the have one) and confirms they have received the goods. So in actual fact our pre pay policy is no longer pre pay, but instead payment is now in the hands of the customer, or of course we wait 21 days and then install the service. According to PayPal, this is only happening because our PayPal account is new.

A second example form PayPal.

We received another order thru PayPal. This item in not up for installation, but instead will be shipped directly to our customer. Guess what? we got paid for it before it has even been shipped. What a load of nonsense PayPal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

joeaverage wrote: »
    Hello, I am looking for a web payment provider for use on our existing web site. I have just been thru the ringer with Stripe, SumUp and PayPal. I am at my wits end trying to deal with these crooks. My experiences with all three of the above have been un imaginable. Does anybody know of a payment provider that isn't run by robots or people behaving like robots.

One example below, I actually received his email from Stripe last year. We have over 100 brands listed on our web site.

Hi Customer,

Thanks for using Stripe!

We noticed that your website seems to sell some fairly popular brands, and are writing to request documentation that confirms your store is authorized to sell these brands. Payouts to your bank account will be paused until we can verify this information.

I find both Stripe and PayPal very good, can't see how you can describe either as 'crooks'.

Regarding the message you received, their hands are probably tied by copyright infringement regulations and you may have just been unlucky to be selected by a random audit, either way, I'd just satisfy their requirement rather than switching provider.
    Is the above the only issue you've had?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭joeaverage

JMR wrote: »
    I find both Stripe and PayPal very good, can't see how you can describe either as 'crooks'.

Regarding the message you received, their hands are probably tied by copyright infringement regulations and you may have just been unlucky to be selected by a random audit, either way, I'd just satisfy their requirement rather than switching provider.
    Is the above the only issue you've had?

I do get the copyright issue. But that's not how you go about it.

Freezing funds?

Freezing funds from previous sales that had been processed BEFORE the alleged copyright infringement had been pointed out?

This is my point. Stand on your head and we'll pay you. No I didn't have any other issues with Stripe because I closed my account soon after this behaviour from them. I probably should have taken legal action. I'm certain they have no right to hold funds under these circumstances.

I understand your frustration but companies such as Stripe etc want your transactions to move through as seamlessly as possible, they are not interested in holding your funds just to screw you around.

It costs them money to answer calls / emails from irate customers, such as the situations you describe above.
    They would rather pay out and take their cut.

They are being pushed by ever more stringent regulations that they must comply with and unfortunately that means their customers must comply with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Possibly there are trust issues with your site? Such as a short time in operation, not a limited company, type of products etc.

If PayPal and Stripe have an issue, merchant processors will have the same issues.

For a payment gateway you will have to have a merchant account - Aib merchant services, Elavon, An post, payment sense, payment plus and many others.

Once you have a merchant ID, you can then use a payment gateway such as global payments (formerly realex) or world pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dpforce

I got burned selling branded stuff more than 10 years ago with 2checkout. My account was suspended I was asked to provide documentation that I'm authorized to sell that brand. These days it should be even more complicated I assume.
    Paypal freezing funds - nothing new. Depends on your activity and product/service. Especially for new accounts. Too many scammers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I do get the copyright issue. But that's not how you go about it.

Freezing funds?

Freezing funds from previous sales that had been processed BEFORE the alleged copyright infringement had been pointed out?

It's exactly how you go about it. If they believe there is some sort of criminal activity going on of course they are going to freeze the account immediately. They're not going to wilfully become complicit in the crime. They have a licence from the financial regulator to worry about.

If you're bona fide you have nothing to worry about. Provide the requested info and carry on.

They have every right to do what they have done and are most likely legally obliged to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Freezing funds?

I dont think that they have any choice but to hold the funds as they need to get through the chargeback period so they dont get done by the issuing bank.

Credit cards are very easy to initiate a chargeback and if they have paid out to you then they get done.

I use stripe pay-pal and more recently revolut merchant they all have similar approach.

I really cant see what is crooked or nonsence, they are at risk and are transferring some of the risk to you. The newer you are and the more thansactions the higher the risk that customers will chargeback and there will be fraudalent activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We have over 100 brands listed on our web site.

So - your store is authorized to sell these brands?

If so, there must have been a bit of work to set that up, surely you have the documentation.

onedmc wrote: »
    I dont think that they have any choice but to hold the funds as they need to get through the chargeback period so they dont get done by the issuing bank.

Credit cards are very easy to initiate a chargeback and if they have paid out to you then they get done.
    This is not the case. Stripe transfer to your bank next day. If they need to issue a chargeback or refund they just take it back from your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Limerick_dude

Scotty # wrote: »
    This is not the case. Stripe transfer to your bank next day. If they need to issue a chargeback or refund they just take it back from your bank account.

Haven't used stripe in a good while but it was 7 days.

https://stripe.com/docs/payouts#:~:text=When%20you%20start%20processing%20live,to%20establish%20the%20Stripe%20account.

• Advertisement

Yea it used to be 7 days, then 3, now next day. Either way, it's a lot less then the 75 days Visa and Mastercard allow for chargebacks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Scotty # wrote: »
    Yea it used to be 7 days, then 3, now next day. Either way, it's a lot less then the 75 days Visa and Mastercard allow for chargebacks.

For Ireland, Stripe payments to your bank is 7 days, it runs on a 7 day calendar payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Axwell wrote: »
    For Ireland, Stripe payments to your bank is 7 days, it runs on a 7 day calendar payout.

I’m based in Ireland and getting Stripe pay outs every working day. Maybe it’s a change they’re still rolling out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

zac8 wrote: »
    I’m based in Ireland and getting Stripe pay outs every working day. Maybe it’s a change they’re still rolling out.

For standard payouts I have never seen anything other than 7 days in Ireland, split payments or express could be different. Are you selling items directly via your website or through a platform?

Edit: Accelerated payments mentioned here as something they are rolling out to a subset of user, no criteria or timelines though - https://support.stripe.com/questions/accelerated-payout-rollout-timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

For standard payouts I have never seen anything other than 7 days in Ireland, split payments or express could be different. Are you selling items directly via your website or through a platform?

Our own website.

I use Stripe and payouts are monthly.
    Suits me fine and I've never investigated whether I can change it

Apologies, I'm wrong. I said they pay out next day and while they do pay out every day, the payments are actually 3 days old.

Go to Settings > Business Settings > Bank Account & Scheduling...

You can change Payout Schedule to DAY, WEEK, MONTH

And in Payout Timing you can change from Standard(7 days) to Accelerated(3 days).

I've several unrelated Stripe accounts and they all offer accelerated so I'd imagine it's available to any Irish account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

To the OP - Unfortunately, I think you're shooting the messenger (Stripe) here. Do you think, that they really give a toodle what you're selling in your shop...Of course they don't..... But they're being put under pressure by the law makers (who in turn are being put under pressure by the big American brands), and they have to comply or they won't be able to continue to operate.

If you think dealing with Stripe or Paypal is bad, you should have been around in the dark ages when you had to deal with one of our local banks here in Ireland to try and get on-line Credit Card payments up and running...!!!!!

Advertisement