Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replace wall switch with smart switch

Options
  • 28-12-2020 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭

hi
    i have quite a few xiaomi smart bulbs in the house which work well with my xiaomi gateway and Homeassistant.
    i also have few ceiling lights that cannot be replaced via smart bulbs.
    i was thinking of replacing wall light switch with a smart wall switch
    something like this which are TUYA
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001193120949.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6f136d22tf1dAV
    i have read its not easy our out of the box to connect TUYA parts with HA.
    any advice where to start for replacing wall switch and make my existing ceiling lights smart?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

hi
    i have quite a few xiaomi smart bulbs in the house which work well with my xiaomi gateway and Homeassistant.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001193120949.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6f136d22tf1dAV
    any advice where to start for replacing wall switch and make my existing ceiling lights smart?

Hi,

I recently replaced all my one gang light switches with the Sonoff one. And I've replaced a two gang and will replace a three gang with a Tuya one.

I'm not sure if the one you have linked will work. You need to know if you need a neutral wire or not - do you have a neutral wire in your light switch box?

I don't have a neutral wire in my switch box so I needed to put a capacitor in the light fitting in the ceiling - its easy (I am not a sparky). The capacitor comes with the switch. This is the Sonoff one I used:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000096289910.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.64bd8260kadXVA&algo_pvid=18ce694b-d3aa-4f56-89e2-d60eb9d0e719&algo_expid=18ce694b-d3aa-4f56-89e2-d60eb9d0e719-0&btsid=0b0a555616096770175706093e8960&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

And these are the two and three gang ones I bought:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000191335997.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dua5HQE

They are all working fine with Alexa.

I have not done the three gang one yet which controls my porch, landing and hall as I'm not sure at which light fitting I should put the capacitor.

I bought the wrong ones first. Ones that required a neutral wire. I have them on sale on adverts at cost.

Shout back if you need help/help each other.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭emaherx

hi

Its easy to connect Tuya switches out of the box and they should be fine for lights. Home assistant has an inbuilt Tuya integration but it relies on the Tuya cloud service.

I find this is not an issue for lights but I wouldn't like to be left that way for heating controls. She'd kill me if the heating wouldn't come on as scheduled because the internet is down.

Tuya Local is a third party integration that works well but requires quite a bit to setup.

Although for wall light switches Shelly are my favorite and work well with HA out of the box.

https://shop.shelly.cloud/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks for your inputs.
    i am bit nervous to open and check the neutral. i assumed in general that there is no neutral in ireland.
    mine is a new build in dublin

thanks for your inputs.
    i am bit nervous to open and check the neutral. i assumed in general that there is no neutral in ireland.

Turn off the mains, open it up, take a picture, close it up, turn on mains, post pic here. If in doubt though, get a sparky.

I understand in some new builds, neutral wires are becoming more common in switches but in the majority of houses in Ireland there is no neutral wire in the switch.

In a basic set-up, a light switch will have the mains power feeding into and power going from it to the light bulb - brown wires. You will also find switches with three wires which means again the power coming in and power going to light switch and the additional wire is sending power to the next light switch on the circuit.

Hope that helps.

thanks for your inputs.

There is neutrals in mine, built in 2008.
    Not all of the Shelly switches need neutral wire anymore anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

I've just received some Tuya switches that I ordered from Ali and seem to be having trouble getting them to work. They are one gang touch switches. I wired them up and used the smart life app to setup. So far so good.

The thing is they turn on fine but once on they can't be turned off manually or through the app :confused:. They then turn off automatically after a few mins. When the light is turned on and the blue light goes to red it only stays lit for about a second. (the lights can be turned on and off manually as long as it's clicked continuously) Once the red light goes out I have to wait till the switch turns off the lights before it turns blue again.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

Celticfire wrote: »
    I've just received some Tuya switches that I ordered from Ali and seem to be having trouble getting them to work. They are one gang touch switches. I wired them up and used the smart life app to setup. So far so good.

The thing is they turn on fine but once on they can't be turned off manually or through the app :confused:. They then turn off automatically after a few mins. When the light is turned on and the blue light goes to red it only stays lit for about a second. (the lights can be turned on and off manually as long as it's clicked continuously) Once the red light goes out I have to wait till the switch turns off the lights before it turns blue again.

The same thing happened me earlier with a two gang one. Told Alexa to turn it on and it came on and then just went off again. Told Alexa to turn it back on and it worked.

I only have Tuya for the two and three gang and I havent set up the three gang yet as I'm sure connecting the wires will give me a headache - not sure which light fitting to put the capacitor in either.

I used Sonoff for the one gang.

Have you tried updating the firmware? (From the Smartlife app)

No updates = on Main Module V1.1.1 and MCU Module V1.1.1

Are you on the same Celtic?

I just noticed there is a timer function in the app. Perhaps that had been set accidentally.

Just throwing ideas out.

emaherx wrote: »
    Have you tried updating the firmware? (From the Smartlife app)

I'll be honest I've no idea how to do that.
    Also reading above my switches came with a capacitor but I've no idea how to use it. No info in the leaflet. (My wiring doesn't have a neutral)

• Advertisement

Also reading above my switches came with a capacitor but I've no idea how to use it. No info in the leaflet. (My wiring doesn't have a neutral)

Id say that could be the problem.

You need to put the capacitor into the light fitting.

In the fitting you will have this plastic thing with wires going into it - I dont know whats its called. At either end of this plastic thing you will have a blue wire and a brown wire going into it (live and neutral). So you have to connect the ends of the capacitor to each. Obviously turn off the electricity first.

Ah well that could be the issue, I believe the capacitor is needed in some installations.

I've no experience of them myself as I have neutrals at the switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

hi

If you already have the gateway, get Xiaomi aqara switches. There are with and without neutral versions, with the latter missing power meter features, but otherwise they work very well in my setup.

grogi wrote: »
    If you already have the gateway, get Xiaomi aqara switches. There are with and without neutral versions, with the latter missing power meter features, but otherwise they work very well in my setup.

My bro has the Aqara ones and its not a bad call to say get those if you have the hub as the OP does.

I guess the advantage of the Sonoff and Tuya ones are that no hub is required. Works with the app and Alexa straight away.

iba wrote: »
    Id say that could be the problem.

You need to put the capacitor into the light fitting.

In the fitting you will have this plastic thing with wires going into it - I dont know whats its called. At either end of this plastic thing you will have a blue wire and a brown wire going into it (live and neutral). So you have to connect the ends of the capacitor to each. Obviously turn off the electricity first.

I did that today and problem solved. Thanks

I did that today and problem solved. Thanks

Cool, glad you could understand my terrible non-technical instructions. Any idea what you call the plastic thing that the wires go into?

thanks will check them out. i may buy a zigbee hub, in that case i have tuya and xiaomi as options.
    just searching for a tasmota flashed zigbee gateway hub.
    found none so far. i dont have a spare pi for conbee 2..have to make up my mind on one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

thanks will check them out. i may buy a zigbee hub, in that case i have tuya and xiaomi as options.
    just searching for a tasmota flashed zigbee gateway hub.
    found none so far. i dont have a spare pi for conbee 2..have to make up my mind on one of these

Isn't Tasmota FW for WiFi based Sonoff devices?!

When it comes to brand agnostic Zigbee hubs, you have:
    * Hubitat elevation
    * ConBee
    * Electrolama Zig-a-Zig-Ah + Zigbee2MQTT software

Isn't Tasmota FW for WiFi based Sonoff devices?!

When it comes to brand agnostic Zigbee hubs, you have:
    * Hubitat elevation
    * ConBee
    * Electrolama Zig-a-Zig-Ah + Zigbee2MQTT software

Tasmota is firmware for ESP based devices, which can include Sonoff devices and some Zigbee gateway devices.

for some of my sensors, i need a zigbee hub. i prefer a hub/gateway connected to wall socket rather than conbee2 or others plugged into usb (just due to location where my pi is placed)
    hence looking at tuya or sonoff gateway or xiaomi gateway.
    im not good in flashing tasmota on tuya or sonoff, so looking for preflashed ones.

• Advertisement

for some of my sensors, i need a zigbee hub. i prefer a hub/gateway connected to wall socket rather than conbee2 or others plugged into usb (just due to location where my pi is placed)
    hence looking at tuya or sonoff gateway or xiaomi gateway.
    im not good in flashing tasmota on tuya or sonoff, so looking for preflashed ones.

I probably don't understand you correctly but you don't need a hub for the Sonoff or Tuya switches. But they do need to be flashed to work with HA. For them to work with HA, is that when they need a hub?

I picked up the wireless Tuya hub for about 15 Euro because I recently bought Tuya/Moeshouse Radiator TVRs, haven't fitted them yet, need a plumber, but they do need a hub.

I think the hub that was on sale in Lidl a couple of weeks ago, is the same as the Tuya hub, just with Lidl branding.

I also have the Xiaomi hub, window and door sensors and PIRs. And I tried to link my Sonoff/eWelink account with my Xiaomi account so that the Xiaomi PIRs would turn on the Sonoff switches but every time it does not accept my u/n and p/w even though they are correct.

sorry, may be my lack of knowledge. i know some of the tuya dont work out of the box with HA - this is where they have to be flashed with tasmota. not my cup of tea :-(
    i also read that a tuya zigbee hub required for few tuya systems (wifi blind) and i need a zigbee hub for my other xiaomi zigbee devices.
    my xiaomi hub is v2 - non zigbee one

sorry, may be my lack of knowledge. i know some of the tuya dont work out of the box with HA - this is where they have to be flashed with tasmota. not my cup of tea :-(
    i also read that a tuya zigbee hub required for few tuya systems (wifi blind) and i need a zigbee hub for my other xiaomi zigbee devices.
    my xiaomi hub is v2 - non zigbee one

Most common Tuya devices work with HA out of the box but still depend on Tuya's cloud service. HA has built in Tuya support and you only need to add your Tuya App login details to your HA config and all of your devices will automatically be added to HA.

Tasmota is a custom firmware for ESP based devices but will not work with many Tuya devices especially most new ones as most Tuya manufacturers have stopped using ESP based chips. Tasmota is often used to eliminate the need for the cloud based service.

Another option for using Tuya with HA but without cloud dependence is a third part integration called TuyaLocal. This works without changing the firmware, but can be a bit of a messy setup initially.

Tasmota is usually a better option for Sonoff devices as they are all ESP based but if it's not your cup of tea it is no longer a requirement for HA either as there are a number of third party integrations that will work with Sonoff with or without the need for their cloud service.

thanks emaherx.
    are you saying sonoff without cloud can be used without flashing in HA?

i saw this link - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/tuya/
    it details only few tuya device support
    hence i was not sure and wanted to flash with tasmota.
    for now i can use their cloud service if it works with HA

thanks emaherx.
    are you saying sonoff without cloud can be used without flashing in HA?

i saw this link - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/tuya/
    it details only few tuya device support
    hence i was not sure and wanted to flash with tasmota.
    for now i can use their cloud service if it works with HA

Sonoff can work without cloud yes, you still need to have an account but newer official Sonoff firmwares include a LAN mode for when the cloud is unreachable, and this feature is usable by HA to control Sonoff devices locally.

Those few Tuya devices cover a lot of devices, most devices are just some implementation of a switch, is there particular devices you are considering that wouldn't be covered?

I've Tuya switches and climate devices here working with Tuya Local. I couldn't leave my heating dependent on a cloud service, so far it's working well, but it was far from a simple setup.

i did not see the smart blind controller in their list. i will check out tuya local

i did not see the smart blind controller in their list. i will check out tuya local

Under cover it says smart curtains, which may be the same thing.
    but it also covers scenes and automations from the tuya app, so if a particular device is not strictly supported just create an automation for it in the Tuya app and then call that from HA.

Not sure about the smart blinds in TuyaLocal though, it currently has support for a smaller range of devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Am i correct in thinking a wired smart switch means you can turn non smart lights on and off from an app and from the physical switch if required?
    Is there any on sale from Irish retailers? i have been searching on google and found it a bit confusing as some of the switches are non wired which i assume means you end up with two light switches in each room.

I haven't bought an alexa or google assistant yet so will buy whichever one suits my needs best.

I'm hoping to start with indoor light switches, then smart plugs and then maybe move onto security and cameras eventually.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Am i correct in thinking a wired smart switch means you can turn non smart lights on and off from an app and from the physical switch if required?
    Is there any on sale from Irish retailers? i have been searching on google and found it a bit confusing as some of the switches are non wired which i assume means you end up with two light switches in each room.

I haven't bought an alexa or google assistant yet so will buy whichever one suits my needs best.

I'm hoping to start with indoor light switches, then smart plugs and then maybe move onto security and cameras eventually.

Yes, the non-smart bulb can be turned on by app or switch (and Alexa).

I don't know of Irish retailers, I buy everything from Ali.

Not sure exactly what you mean about two light switches in one room. A one gang switch normally controls one bulb. A two gang one controls two bulbs etc. This sort of depends on your current set-up.

What you first need to determine is if you have a neutral wire or not inside your current light switch.

Post links to the switches you looked at and maybe I can help with any confusion you have.. Perhaps give a concrete example of one room in your house and what you want to do exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Thanks for the help. I wonder why Irish retailers don’t sell them? It seems like a better solution than paying Philips (for example) 25 a bulb.

I don’t have a google assistant or an Alexa yet so I’ll need a switch that’s compatible with both.

The first switch I’ll replace is the one in the hall. That has no neural wire and controls 3 lights. The porch, the hall and the landing.

I would like the option of controlling the lights while away from the house too.

Advertisement