Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another UK VAT Question!

Options
  • 28-01-2021 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Should an Irish company, providing services to a UK company charge VAT?
    The service is fully carried out within Ireland.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I placed an enquiry with Irish Revenue with much the same question. As an Irish VAT-registered service provider selling services to the UK (web design) what are my tax obligations?

I got a non-committal answer that I should check the HMRC website. And while it's a lot better than the Irish Revenue site in terms of finding information I'm still confused as to whether my supply of services to businesses in the UK classifies a "digital services" - which I can see attract VAT and require me to be registered in the UK for VAT.

Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

II'm still confused as to whether my supply of services to businesses in the UK classifies a "digital services"
    They do, "website supply or web hosting services" are listed as Digital Services here > https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-vat-rules-if-you-supply-digital-services-to-private-consumers#define-digital

You'll need to register for VAT in the UK.

Scotty # wrote: »
    They do, "website supply or web hosting services" are listed as Digital Services here > https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-vat-rules-if-you-supply-digital-services-to-private-consumers#define-digital

You'll need to register for VAT in the UK.

Thanks. Yes I saw that on the HMRC website but the heading on that page is:

VAT rules for supplies of digital services to consumers

I'm unsure if the same applies to B2B.

The broad guidance on the Irish Revenue site, here under the heading....

Supplies to business customers outside the EU (B2B)

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-on-services/when-is-vat-charged-on-services/vat-obligations-of-Irish-traders-supplying-services-to-business-customers-abroad.aspx

.....suggests that in general Irish VAT is not charged. Obviously UK VAT is different.

Hence my confusion.

• Advertisement

I think you can do it either way...

A. Register for VAT in the UK and charge VAT as if you were established in the UK. This is the easiest option for your customers (both B2C and B2B) but you'll have to submit quarterly returns to UK Revenue.

B. 'Reverse charge' the VAT where by you don't charge any VAT and your customer (who must be VAT registered) accounts for it on their VAT returns. You will need to collect their VAT No. for this and make sure it's on your invoice.

I think you can do it either way...

A. Register for VAT in the UK and charge VAT as if you were established in the UK. This is the easiest option for your customers (both B2C and B2B) but you'll have to submit quarterly returns to UK Revenue.

B. 'Reverse charge' the VAT where by you don't charge any VAT and your customer (who must be VAT registered) accounts for it on their VAT returns. You will need to collect their VAT No. for this and make sure it's on your invoice.

Thanks Scotty. I got in touch with a tax consultant in the UK and he was advising "B" - reverse charging - as the way to go. Which is pretty much as I have always done.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Appreciate this one looks like it's been answered but is registering and charging UK VAT on services from your Irish company not subject to the £85,000 UK VAT threshold? (Which is some way higher than the Irish services threshold of €37,500).

My understanding is you don't need to do anything unless your turnover in the UK is over £85k. Or at a min do you still need to do the reverse charge thing irrespective of turnover?

I believe you could opt to register for VAT in the UK irrespective of your turnover there but I'm not sure what benefit that would give you, unless you had a large amount of costs there, and then wanted to claim the UK VAT back. Confusing, but I think with Brexit you would have to claim it back as they UK are (obviously) not in the EU Vat Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) any more, which made business life a bit easier.

Wondering as I'll be facing a similar set of questions on selling services into the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Just to check. It's my understanding that the vat reverse charge mechanism is not valid between Ireland and the UK. It's only vat within the EU.
    Perhaps I am wrong though.

caesar wrote: »
    ...is registering and charging UK VAT on services from your Irish company not subject to the £85,000 UK VAT threshold?
    No, if you're not based in the UK the threshold does not apply and you must register before issuing any invoices.

From: https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/when-to-register

Businesses outside the UK
    There’s no threshold if neither you nor your business is based in the UK.
    You must register as soon as you supply any goods and services to the UK (or if you expect to in the next 30 days).

By the way, this was always the case. It's not only since Brexit.

• Advertisement

Just to check. It's my understanding that the vat reverse charge mechanism is not valid between Ireland and the UK. It's only vat within the EU.
    The UK are no longer part of the VIES system but they still support reverse charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I believe it still exists but now you use a EORI number.... which is usually your VAT number.

However - you will have to get into Revenue and register for this number as it gets loaded into site that your UK suppliers can check.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

No, if you're not based in the UK the threshold does not apply and you must register before issuing any invoices.

From: https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/when-to-register

Businesses outside the UK
    There’s no threshold if neither you nor your business is based in the UK.
    You must register as soon as you supply any goods and services to the UK (or if you expect to in the next 30 days).

By the way, this was always the case. It's not only since Brexit.

Ace thanks for that. Ah I was in the UK before and figured it carried over. Now that I've just completed the incorporation process here, I need to get this stuff in order so I can trade freely and without causing myself problems down the line.

Masala wrote: »
    I believe it still exists but now you use a EORI number.... which is usually your VAT number.
    EORI numbers only apply to the physical movement of goods. Does not apply to services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

EORI numbers only apply to the physical movement of goods. Does not apply to services.

...didn't know that!! Useful to know..

Advertisement