Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Compliant Septic Tank or 'Shed' Building?

Options
  • 08-08-2020 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

We're cashing in a couple of UK pensions to buy a house with straight cash.
    This will give us 5 yrs to get it right before retirement, spending money on it, instead of spending that money on rent.

So, house #1 is a receiver sale, the property was repossessed 2 years ago. It also has a non-compliant septic tank - it's too close to the neighbour's field, we've been told. As this is a cash purchase and we have no intention to sell the house, we'd still be able to live in the property, right? I expect that we need some straight answers and more info from the estate agent, so fingers crossed, I'm talking to them on Monday.

House #2 is just perfect in every way - it's just small. We would need to install at least one large shed as we move in to use as a cat-house, workshop, tools, storage etc.
    In time we also need somewhere to house visiting relatives - we could maybe add like a summer house & use it 'glamping-style' for when they visit.
    Would we need planning permission for these types of additions?

I've fallen down the google rabbit hole for hours and to be honest, I'm not getting far! I thought maybe we could house a mobile home on the property, but as a permanent fixture, it doesn't seem to be do-able from a planning perspective.
    The house is on .8 of an acre, a large field between us and the nearest immediate neighbours.

Oh and there's no pressure - we have around 12 days to make a decision! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I can’t see a question here, that can be answered, without specific site investigation. Would you consider hiring a local arch/eng/planning consultant for an opinion.

What size is plot #1 in what county, assume good soil, flat land, limited neighbours, no streams.

#2 where is property? Is this .8 acre? you could build/extend? Why is planning a big deal? Mobile home, see exempted regs. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

I was looking at a house with similar situation as house #1 (they had no percolation unit for the tank). From what I understand the sellers could not sell the house without getting planning permission for percolation unit which includes a new tank.

I would enquire with the estate agent about that or contact the planning department in the local council to see what they say.

Advertisement