Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instructor required for pre-test Dublin (Urgent?)

Options
  • 31-07-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi!

So long story short, I had registered for my full license test pre covid which obviously never happened. Anyway, I completely forgot about it then I woke up to an email from RSA confirming my date (25 Aug)

Because of covid and working from home I havent really been on the bike much lately and because it is my first bike, I'd be more comfortable if I take the pre-test lessons. Another reason is that I will be applying for a A license whereas I own a A2 bike so it will be better if I practice on a bigger bike

Do you guys recommend any instructor which should be able to help me with this on short notice? I have started looking up on google and calling places. I'm also trying to get hold of the guys from where I did my IBT but havent been able to contact them yet.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

whatever about IBT instructor availability. Get out on the bike for no less than 45 minutes everyday or every second day from now till the test. go to a carpark (empty) and practice all your slow control maneuvers over and over and over. Do circles , do figure 8s, just keep doing them daily. Go up the car park at pace then circle several times in slow control then do figure 8s then back down the carpark at pace and again.

You need to improve your comfort levels at turning maneuvers as it will flow into your confidence on the test day. The test frankly is 80% confidence in riding,10% skill, 10% rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Where about are you doing your test?

I just completed mine there, go over your road signs and hand signals, they will ask about those.

Practise your U turns and slow maneuvers.
    Also get a decent 3.5mm headphones, i used a set from Dealz and was crap, could barely understand the instructor. they use Motorola radios in the center i did my test in.

on my test i was asked to do emergency stop, 50 meter slow riding, U turn,

Cancel your indicators as well as soon as you complete a turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

listermint wrote: »
    whatever about IBT instructor availability. Get out on the bike for no less than 45 minutes everyday or every second day from now till the test. go to a carpark (empty) and practice all your slow control maneuvers over and over and over. Do circles , do figure 8s, just keep doing them daily. Go up the car park at pace then circle several times in slow control then do figure 8s then back down the carpark at pace and again.

You need to improve your comfort levels at turning maneuvers as it will flow into your confidence on the test day. The test frankly is 80% confidence in riding,10% skill, 10% rules.

Yeah I will start practicing that. Thank you.

Would it be a big difference on doing 8s, u-turns etc on a 250cc vs 1000cc?

goblin59 wrote: »
    Where about are you doing your test?

I just completed mine there, go over your road signs and hand signals, they will ask about those.

Practise your U turns and slow maneuvers.
    Also get a decent 3.5mm headphones, i used a set from Dealz and was crap, could barely understand the instructor. they use Motorola radios in the center i did my test in.

on my test i was asked to do emergency stop, 50 meter slow riding, U turn,

Cancel your indicators as well as soon as you complete a turn.

I am doing mine in Mulhuddart.

Good reminder on the headphones. I use bluetooth ones for my daily use. Will buy some.

Yes indicators lol. I forget them every so often haha

Thank you :)

alanman wrote: »
    Yeah I will start practicing that. Thank you.

I am doing mine in Mulhuddart.

Good reminder on the headphones. I use bluetooth ones for my daily use. Will buy some.

Yes indicators lol. I forget them every so often haha

Thank you :)

I did mine out there too, take your time on things if you keep around the speed limit, not over it and not too slow the instructor will be happy.

He followed me around in his car, but don't get too far ahead of him as the signal drops on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

alanman wrote: »

Depends on your ability to control the throttle. A 1000cc, esp. of a newer generation (Euro4+ lean idle fuelling) will feel more jumpy and it will require a more delicate right hand to do slow things well. You can compensate with good gear and clutch technique, but yes, it will be a bit more difficult to do the 8s and u-turns than a 250cc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Once upon a time, I did mine in naas. While I am sure it has changed since, a few things come to mind.

Practice LOW speed driving, my guy walked next to me and watched me control the bike.

Slightly misadjust your mirrors so you have to turn your head to see them. This shows the examiner you are using them.

Dont forget the life saver look over the shoulder, mirrors have blind spots.

Finally, and this never occured to me, but my MAG Ireland helper who watched me drive told me this. Learn how to put your bike on its stand. Don't laugh! I was reefing the bike backwards onto it's centre stand. With the bike I had - a diversion 600, you put your foot on the stand stub, press down and use the law of the lever. The bike puts itself on the stand.

I thought it was stupid, but parking outside the office, he asked me to do this very thing. I laughed as I did it.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

What's this about ear phones? Do we havta supply our own?

PCeeeee wrote: »
    What's this about ear phones? Do we havta supply our own?

yeah, just standard headphones.

3.5mm jack, and no iphone ones with the built in mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HD_Cooney mush

yeah, just standard headphones.

3.5mm jack, and no iphone ones with the built in mic.

This is the first I've heard of this? Is this due to Covid restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

This is the first I've heard of this? Is this due to Covid restrictions?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea as to what the current wait times are for bike test?

Anyone any idea as to what the current wait times are for bike test?

another page on here was saying 5 months at the moment

another page on here was saying 5 months at the moment

You’re joking? Jesus that’s grim

You’re joking? Jesus that’s grim

unfortunatly yeah! but your looking at 4 months of bookings piling up

Advertisement