Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanderly wagon

Options
  • 04-10-2007 3:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody remember this?Probably the best show ever connected with RTE.There was O'Brien the bumbling halfwit,Crow,Rory(i cat remember his function but he's a caretaker in Barrow St now),Grandmother,Fortycoats,Judge the dog and load others i cant remember.As a school day out we were brought to Lambert's puppet theatre to watch the various wanderly wagon puppets doing thier thang..great days!

http://www.irish-tv.com/wander.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

c - 13 wrote:

That forum has gone down like a turd in a punchbowl hasnt it?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Here comes the wagon! The wanderly, wanderly wagon! Ah yes I remember it well, went to Lamberts puppet theatre in Monkstown for a school tour about 25 yeards ago. I wonder is the rip-off sweet shop still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Degsy wrote:
    That forum has gone down like a turd in a punchbowl hasnt it?:D

Yep, its quiet there alright. Wanderly wagon was a bit before my time. I'm a man of the Bosco generation.

c - 13 wrote:
    Yep, its quiet there alright. Wanderly wagon was a bit before my time. I'm a man of the Bosco generation.

Did you know that Bosco was voiced by Paula Lambert who was Eugene Lambert(O'Brien's) daughter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wanderly Wagon was discontinued in 1982 when I was only four, but I still remember it clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Degsy wrote:
    Anybody remember this?Probably the best show ever connected with RTE.There was O'Brien the bumbling halfwit,Crow,Rory(i cat remember his function but he's a caretaker in Barrow St now),Grandmother,Fortycoats,Judge the dog and load others i cant remember.As a school day out we were brought to Lambert's puppet theatre to watch the various wanderly wagon puppets doing thier thang..great days!

http://www.irish-tv.com/wander.asp

i thought fortycoats had his own show was it dr astro you were thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

We had a Wanderly Wagon annual at home sometime in the early 80s. Then, a few years later in school, the lucky kids in infants got little Judge button badges because he was fronting the Safe Cross Code. We were deemed too old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

hiscan wrote:
    i thought fortycoats had his own show was it dr astro you were thinking of?
    Fortycoats was a spinoff from WW, he used to turn up in his flying trickshop (but only when Rory wasn't about) from time to time.

sceptre wrote:
    Fortycoats was a spinoff from WW, he used to turn up in his flying trickshop (but only when Rory wasn't about) from time to time.

Correct,he had two annoying sidekicks:
    Sofar Sogood,who used to wear gloves and a multicoloured school cap and Slightly Bonkers,a red-haired schoolgirl with aDublin accent.They spent thier time doing battle with the Whirlygig witch and a charcater called Pickarooney who lived in a dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I picked up the volume 2 dvd pre covid in a charity shop and have just gotten round to watching it. The first episode on it; the Hijacked Sweetshop from 1978 has a guy playing Fortycoats who isn't Fran Dempsey and I don't think he's Bill Goulding either. He's simply credited as "Fortycoats". There's a picture of him on the cover. Anyone know who he is?

This is a clip from the episode in question. He could possibly be Bill Golding but I thought he'd left by this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

O'Brien was a bumbler

1977 episode intro, Rory and Foxy were still in it . I very vaguely remember this version of the theme song before it was replaced by the more disco influenced instrumental.

OK I've since come to the conclusion that it was Bill Golding playing him here.

Is Bill retired from acting or what's he doing these days. Must be pushing on in years.

Advertisement