Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a UK motorcycle with engine number not known on the logbook

Options
  • 31-07-2020 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,
    I'm thinking of importing a UK Fireblade but am concerned about registering it as the log book states that the engine number is " not known"
    The vin number is listed correctly on the log book, but no engine number on the log book.
    It is a good clean low mileage 1999 cbr.
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    Is it something that I should walk away from, purely on a "getting it registered" basis.
    Thanks, any help will be appreciated.
    Matty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I would call the NCT / VRT centre and ask them directly,
    If they say its ok, ask for the confirmation to be sent to you via email on headed letter as proof incase they contest it on the day in the VRT.

Make sure when you buy the Bike they send the log book with it or else they won't even bother looking at the bike in the VRT.

The DVLA no longer sends log books outside of the UK, and their new owner registration is online based, so once a new owner is registered as outside of the UK the bike is marked as exported and you can no longer get a new log book issued for it.

I just imported a UK bike in Febuary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You could ask the current owner to notify the DVLA of the engine number and get an updated reg. doc. before you complete the deal.
    I'd wonder why they haven't done it already. It's just a matter of sending off the V5 to have it updated.

Good advice about getting the V5 with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why would anyone search for such trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

listermint wrote: »
    Why would anyone search for such trouble.

Cleared a bike on Friday. Only interested in frame number and mileage. Engine no irrelevant.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

galwaytt wrote: »
    Cleared a bike on Friday. Only interested in frame number and mileage. Engine no irrelevant.

Same as when I cleared the Dr earlier. Question is if the v5 had "unknown" down as engine number might it be a sticking point? I'd be a touch nervous but hopeful it shouldn't
    Ultimately the engine nos do end up on the vlc as we fill them in so if you get that far your sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Same as back in March, however NCT aren't exactly known for their consistency

no interest myself in what NCT says tbh. thats handy. Its selling it on when im done is what would concern me. That and any insurance implications should it need to be inspected for a payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

no interest myself in what NCT says tbh. thats handy. Its selling it on when im done is what would concern me. That and any insurance implications should it need to be inspected for a payout.

Are u high?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Are u high?

missing or different numbers on the logbook to the frame... id assume your insurance assessor would be delighted?

and what about selling it , a keen eye on a buyer and deals off.

missing or different numbers on the logbook to the frame... id assume your insurance assessor would be delighted?

and what about selling it , a keen eye on a buyer and deals off.

Insurance won't give a single feck. Buyer could ask alright though

• Advertisement

Insurance won't give a single feck. Buyer could ask alright though

i meant if you crashed it, would an assessor not care. ? saying they wont give a feck is hardly accurate.

i meant if you crashed it, would an assessor not care. ? saying they wont give a feck is hardly accurate.

They really won't care, there might be an issue if it was modified but if its a stock engine they won't give a feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Is it only the document that is not correct. Is there an actual number on the engine?

If you get it imported and registered here then you can simply update the engine number with Shannon , form RF111, and you will get a new registration document.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matty.n.

Thanks to all those who replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matty.n.

The bike is a clean, unmolested example, registered new in the UK. The vin numbers are clear and visible as is the engine number.
    It is suspected that the original dealer was being lazy and did not enter the engine number when first registering it with DVLA, as a result the logbook reads engine number- "not known"
    The full logbook is present with correct vin number.
    My concern is that there will be an issue registering it here due to the engine number not being present on the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I know if the NCT can't read a chassis number on a vehicle, they'll get you to present the vehicle to a Garda Public Service Vehicle Inspector, who will then certify the chassis number for them. I'd assume it's a similar process for no engine number on the V5, if it's even an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

On the few occcasions I imported a bike the NCT have never looked at the engine number - frame number and odometer was all they were concerned about.

But why not ask them, or perhaps better still DOE Shannon, if the lack of engine number will impede/stop you registering the bike here.?
    Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, Shannon Town Centre, Shannon, Co. Clare. V14P298
    Email:motortax@dttas.gov.ie
    Phone number:0818 411 412

Advertisement