Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect/Engineer’s Certificate of Exemption from Planning Permission and Building R

Options
  • 08-08-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a house and my solicitor has requested the above in respect of a small extension to the rear. The vendor's solicitor is painfully slow in acting on this so, in the interest of speeding things up, can I get my surveyor to provide the certificate? Is this even a thing?

I'm aware that there's a cost involved but it's costing me far more in wasted time and hassle than a surveyor's fee.

TIA

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You can.

Make sure your own solicitor is happy with this route, and that the vendors are aware of what's happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You can.

Make sure your own solicitor is happy with this route, and that the vendors are aware of what's happening

Thanks. I'm meeting my solicitor on Monday so thought I'd get a bit of background here first. There's no bank/mortgage involved so no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IMO, it will be an opinion on, as opposed to being a certificate of

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

IMO, it will be an opinion on, as opposed to being a certificate of

Thanks.

My own surveyor has expressed an opinion that there's no issue. My solicitor seems intent on receiving a certificate to protect me in the event of a sale in the future.

The vendor's estate agents are total bullsh1tters and their solicitor has been dragging their feet on this. They claim to have engaged an engineer to provide the cert but I know the engineer is retired.

If it's only going to be an opinion at the end of the day what's the point of waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Thanks.

My own surveyor has expressed an opinion that there's no issue. My solicitor seems intent on receiving a certificate to protect me in the event of a sale in the future.

The vendor's estate agents are total bullsh1tters and their solicitor has been dragging their feet on this. They claim to have engaged an engineer to provide the cert but I know the engineer is retired.

If it's only going to be an opinion at the end of the day what's the point of waiting?

The day you buy it is the day you sell it .
    Get all the certs like that now and have them .
    Its easier to do that now and if you ever go to sell its quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

I sold a house recently which had an extension, but no certificate of compliance.

I had to employ an architect to take a look at the extension and complete a form to say that they were satisfied that it complied with various building regulations.

They had to have professional indemnity insurance and provide evidence of same.

Guess it doesn't really matter who pays for the architect, or equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Thanks.

The day you buy it is the day you sell it .
    Get all the certs like that now and have them .
    Its easier to do that now and if you ever go to sell its quicker.

Peckham wrote: »
    I sold a house recently which had an extension, but no certificate of compliance.

I had to employ an architect to take a look at the extension and complete a form to say that they were satisfied that it complied with various building regulations.

They had to have professional indemnity insurance and provide evidence of same.

Guess it doesn't really matter who pays for the architect, or equivalent.

I'm happy enough to do that myself if it takes a month off the whole process. In fact, the vendor is also frustrated by the delays so would probably be amenable to knocking the cost of the architect off the price if it got the sale done now. Everything else is complete.

Advertisement