Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone built/building a garden room using SIPs panels?

Options
  • 06-08-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of self building a garden room using SIPS panels and would welcome any recommendations for SIPS panels suppliers.
    Has anyone done anything similar or built using SIPS panels?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Very much overkill for a garden room in my option, but hey, it's your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

I was thinking about getting something with say 80mm EPS insulation to reduce the cost and speed up build times.
    I'm trying to get prices to see the difference in overall cost and if there's a 10-15% extra cost of thinner SIPS panels then I'd be tempted to do that even if the thermal performance is slightly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mp31 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of self building a garden room using SIPS panels and would welcome any recommendations for SIPS panels suppliers.
    Has anyone done anything similar or built using SIPS panels?

Assuming you are building in the back/side garden, can the delivery truck/crane access your desired location?

I'm assuming the panels are light i.e. I can take delivery to the front driveway and then carry the individual panels (with my son) to the garden.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm assuming the panels are light i.e. I can take delivery to the front driveway and then carry the individual panels (with my son) to the garden.

Never assume.

Why this method?
    It won’t be cheaper?
    It won’t make any difference to the performance over traditional block build.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm not sure you're fully understanding of what a SIP panel is.....

What's your idea of it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm not sure you're fully understanding of what a SIP panel is.....

What's your idea of it?

Maybe “son” is local slang for crane where the OP lives :D

I was thinking about these https://www.siabpanels.ie/standard-sip-panel.html
    Small individual panels that slot together for walls and maybe the roof - similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz-UMR7cSTU

I'd be willing to pay a small(ish) price premium for speed of build up compared to a timber frame with insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Those panels look handy.

You'd want to think carefully about the roof.

I'd say they would be OK for a roof depending on their thickness. I'm finding it hard to get any feedback from SIP suppliers that I've discovered via Google hence the request from other people about recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

as was pointed out to me here when I was building a garden room. Building walls is cheap and fast - you'll spend a lot of time and effort elsewhere. What you'd save in time here ( if any ) you'll spend in money

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd say they would be OK for a roof depending on their thickness. I'm finding it hard to get any feedback from SIP suppliers that I've discovered via Google hence the request from other people about recommendations.

I don't mean the strength, I mean the junctions. How would you get the roof load on to the walls? Pitched obvs easier to finish but more complex to frame.

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't mean the strength, I mean the junctions. How would you get the roof load on to the walls? Pitched obvs easier to finish but more complex to frame.

I plan on a flat roof with a 1:40 pitch (as per Google) and hoping to get advice from SIPS suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭vintcerf

how did you get on? this guy is documenting all the steps on his instagram - snip/

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

The guy in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld8pzIu45F8 has had some interesting experiences using SIP panels for roofing ( if not this video then try one of his others :p )

He can be a little hard to take and for certain the climate he deals with is more extreme than here, nonetheless I found him interesting

Advertisement