Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC subject advice?

Options
  • 07-08-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Starting fifth year this year and I’m doing:

English
    Maths
    OL Irish
    German
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Art

I’m aiming for at least 550 points for my preferred course !! I’m mostly happy with my subject choices but I’m a bit concerned about Art..

I’m being encouraged to do it because it’s an “easy subject” and I’m very talented at it. I didn’t do JC art.. no clue whether that puts me at a disadvantage but I am very skilled in drawing/painting because I took classes when I was younger, and I’m good at learning off so Art History is fine- I’m just worried about the projects. Is it a huge workload or is it as piss easy as everyone is telling me? I’m a bit concerned myself because I’m not a fan of doing projects, I much prefer learning/studying than practical work.

Another thing, I’m considering doing another subject outside of school. I can try to self learn this year and next year I’ll be able to get grinds. Since I’m definitely doing ordinary Irish, it really only leaves me six subjects to count which is risky considering I’m aiming for so much points.

I’m considering Economics as an eighth? Apparently it’s a short course many people manage to do in a year, and JC Business was my best subject along with Science. I don’t enjoy it as much as Accounting or Business but it’s also much, much shorter than both..

I’m also slightly considering Physics as an 8th subject instead because my favourite chapter in JC Science (Energy) so happened to be it, and it’s shorter than Biology/Chemistry but it could be difficult because of lab experiments which I wouldn’t be able to do myself. I’m grand with Maths but I don’t enjoy it, so I didn’t really like most of JC Physics excluding Energy either. Does anyone have any experience doing Physics outside of school?

Finally, should I even do an eighth subject or should I just focus on doing the best I can in my six HL subjects?? Any other study tips beyond drinking lots of water and getting lots of sleep are welcome too ☺️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Business would be a good 8th subject to do. Its a lot more straightforward than Economics or Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Tropical.ing

Hello!

I personally didn’t do art for the LC but from what I’ve heard from friends who did do it, it’s definitely not an easy subject. It’s very difficult to get high grades in and I’m pretty sure it’s the subject with the lowest amount of H1s given every year. However, you said you were good at art and learning stuff off so I’m sure you could do well, but a LOT of work and time does go towards the project (which is something to keep in mind since you said you didn’t really like projects).

In terms of economics as an extra subject, just keep in mind that there is now a project for economics so you would probably need to talk to a teacher in your school about that (as I think a teacher needs to sign off on the project).

As mentioned above, business might be a better subject to do outside of school than physics as it’s much more straight forward. Business was my favourite subject for the LC but you definitely have to be interested in it as there is a lot to learn off as the course is so big!

Hopefully this sort of helps. If you have any more questions just ask and good luck in 5th year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tiktoktoegirl

Hello!

I personally didn’t do art for the LC but from what I’ve heard from friends who did do it, it’s definitely not an easy subject. It’s very difficult to get high grades in and I’m pretty sure it’s the subject with the lowest amount of H1s given every year. However, you said you were good at art and learning stuff off so I’m sure you could do well, but a LOT of work and time does go towards the project (which is something to keep in mind since you said you didn’t really like projects).

In terms of economics as an extra subject, just keep in mind that there is now a project for economics so you would probably need to talk to a teacher in your school about that (as I think a teacher needs to sign off on the project).

As mentioned above, business might be a better subject to do outside of school than physics as it’s much more straight forward. Business was my favourite subject for the LC but you definitely have to be interested in it as there is a lot to learn off as the course is so big!

Hopefully this sort of helps. If you have any more questions just ask and good luck in 5th year! :)

Thanks!! :)

Interesting, I didn’t have a clue about there being a project in Economics! I’ve thought it out these past few days and I’ve decided to go with Physics anyways. It’s a lot more technical than Economics, and the exam papers are more repetitive so as long as I put in the work I’m more guaranteed a high score. My mom also agreed to taking me to Physics classes outside of school for this year and the next if it goes well too so.. :)

I’ve heard the same about Business being more straightforward, but I know people who’ve chosen it and have regretted it because the volume of the course was massive.

I’ve also been more open to the idea of doing Art, mainly because it is a skill I am strong at and I’m having trouble thinking of alternatives subjects. Doing 8 purely theoretical subjects instead might tire me too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you have ability in Art and any love at all for the subject, it would seem the obvious choice. Disregard anyone saying it is an 'easy' subject as that is nonsense. Talk to your Art teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

Just chiming in here. I would definitely go for Physics. It's very straightforward compared to other subjects, has a huge amount of choice on the paper and has a very short course. I'd highly advise not picking Economics as it's very difficult to understand and has a horrendous marking scheme. Now that there's a project, it no longer has many of the perks that it used to have. Business I'd imagine would be even worse as it has a large course, though it's supposed to be much easier to understand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement