Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of professional wrestling and your predictions ....

Options
  • 04-08-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭

I tell you, wrestling (just like life) is full of uncertainty. Who would have believed that the rock would buy the xfl? Who would have believed 5 years ago Vince would have even brought back the xfl?

Who would have believed 20 years ago in 2000 that not only would ECW and WCW be gone within a year, they would be bought by WWE.

Sky and WWE parting ways.
    Sting finally having a match with WWE.

The list of moments can go on. But what about the future? What do you think the future will hold on regards to professional wrestling?

For me, I honestly think WWE will get purchased at some point and my money is on by Disney. Disney owns fox (60% majority stake) - fox has a deal with WWE so their fingers are already in the pie. While Disney does have a diverse portfolio it does like family friendly entertainment which WWE has loved to provide over the years.

Another prediction I say would be from the Saudi deal. If that ends a wrestling promotion could be born, backed by that Saudi money, to continue on bringing live wrestling events and they'd be shown around the world like the current Saudi events. You'd just know they'd be throwing big money at any big names within wrestling too.

Care to add?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i completely agree i think disney will eventually buy wwe as i think vince will throw a curveball and leave the company in someone not from his family

AEW will go to mondays and in the end it will end up hurting both companies

HHH will leave wwe

attendance for shows will never recover for week to week shows but stay strong for your wrestlemanias, all out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Should we set a time limit to revisit our predictions? Like 5 years down the road or something, to see how we fared?

I think in the next 5 years, we will see Vince step back. He's looking really shook these days, and he's 74. Sure, he's lifting weights etc, but all it takes is one bad injury, his recovery will be prolonged due to his age. He's already been seen sporting hearing aids (in The Last Ride doc).

I do think HHH & Steph will be handed the reigns. I'm hoping they bring in sweeping changes, sack Kevin Dunne etc, but I feel change will be a slow turnabout.

AEW will continue to grow, and will start to see partnerships and deals that would have gone to WWE in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Interesting thread idea worth a sticky? As for Gerry's first idea, I'd like to expand on it, how many of us can honestly say we'll still be on Boards in a half decade's time? Will Boards itself even be a thing in 2025? I mean just for PW even, all you've to do is look at Omackeral's PW Awards from last year for example, most were decided on a vote or 2, when it used to be neck and neck for.

Vince will not step back from the job, he'll die in Gorilla Position while RAW or Smackdown/a PPV is airing. His stubbornness is the tip of his own sword.

I think the TV networks will completely lose patience with the company as a whole at some stage in 2021.

Company could even meet it's own fate similar to ECW & WCW respectively.

NJPW will be an even bigger force Stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

WWE may be sold but as long as vince is still breathing it won't happen. For all the of his weird ways, when it comes to his dad he's very protective of that legacy and won't sell. It's why he was as loyal as he was to his dads old timers and kept them around and I know he was asked to but. It's also why he never ran Florida on his own until Eddie graham had died as his dad and Eddie graham were close friends.

I think hhh and Stephanie will take over but I don't know if it's a given

I hope Kevin Dunn goes away from WWE for ever in hhh and Stephanie do take over because he's as much a part of the problem as vince is.

The tv deals in four years time may be a harder sell than last time. I don't know if there is any get out clauses for fox but I doubt they'll persist with **** ratings for long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WWE will not still be here in 10 years. They’re in too bad shape to survive.

AEW will be the number 1 brand in America and Europe. However without competition and drive they too will crumble 5-10 years after WWE crumbles.

Wrestling will go back to smaller promotions and territory style. A new promotion will gain traction and start taking over some smaller promotions and the circle of life starts all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,538 ✭✭✭✭briany

American wrestling is about to reap what it has sown. A genuine wrestling star has not been created in about 15 years. Orange Cassidy and Kenny Omega are not household names in the way Hulk Hogan is and they never will be, either. The two main products are either bland and homogenised on the WWE side or a smarky in-joke on the AEW side. For all the complaining that lapsed fans do about WWE, it's not as if the alternative AEW has provided has created a sensation that has burst out of the wrestling bubble to conquer mainstream culture. Far from it. They're *still* behind WWE, despite having plenty of money behind them. They may win the 'war' in the end, as WWE hits nadir after nadir, but the whole affair is really sad. Not the scintillating highs of the Monday Night Wars, but just who can be a bit less s**t for a bit longer.

And WWE might not even lose the war so much as Steph might decide to turn the company into a full-time reality TV and movie studio and forget about sinking money into the losing proposition of live wrestling shows. And that'll be the end of American wrestling as we know it. Yes, AEW would congratulate themselves over this, but their days would be numbered as well. Kids are not going to be excited in their droves by the new crops of wrestlers, and the chants of 'This is Awesome' will reverberate around AEW and the indie world, but the men shouting this will grow older and fatter, and ultimately more scarce, until wrestling in America is a dying ember of small indie feds, where men pretend to fight and some fans still try to care. Everyone else will look on it as a most curious subculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loughc wrote: »
    WWE will not still be here in 10 years. They’re in too bad shape to survive.

AEW will be the number 1 brand in America and Europe. However without competition and drive they too will crumble 5-10 years after WWE crumbles.

Wrestling will go back to smaller promotions and territory style. A new promotion will gain traction and start taking over some smaller promotions and the circle of life starts all over again.

10 years is so hard to predict. I would still say WWE will be on top, but what the landscape is is anyones guess.

Wrestling is a niche industry, and its in decline. WWE is in serious trouble creatively but from a money making POV, they are doing very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

Love him or hate him but think WWE is gone to absolute gone to crap since Cena left, and also Jericho.

Not one wrestler now you'd want to tune into and watch as it's completely scripted.

No one has a personality

Rimmy wrote: »
    Love him or hate him but think WWE is gone to absolute gone to crap since Cena left, and also Jericho.

Not one wrestler now you'd want to tune into and watch as it's completely scripted.

No one has a personality

Its not the talents fault, plenty of great personalities in WWE that could be larger than life. Big E, KO,

WWE's problem is keeping everyone at the same level, no one gets over. No one looks dominant, everyone can beat everyone. Years of bad booking has damaged talent to the point they never look like stars.

They have done a good job with Drew, but the lack of fans has hurt him IMO. He needs to win at SS to really put him over.

WWE might have him lose to Orton, who doesn't need the win. They might drag it out to the point people lose interest by having Drew and Orton trade wins. Drew needs to win, look strong and win definitively. I have very little faith WWE will do the best thing to make Drew a star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Its not the talents fault, plenty of great personalities in WWE that could be larger than life. Big E, KO,

WWE's problem is keeping everyone at the same level, no one gets over. No one looks dominant, everyone can beat everyone. Years of bad booking has damaged talent to the point they never look like stars.

They have done a good job with Drew, but the lack of fans has hurt him IMO. He needs to win at SS to really put him over.

WWE might have him lose to Orton, who doesn't need the win. They might drag it out to the point people lose interest by having Drew and Orton trade wins. Drew needs to win, look strong and win definitively. I have very little faith WWE will do the best thing to make Drew a star.

Trying to turn Kevin Owens into Stone Cold was a compete disaster

• Advertisement

Rimmy wrote: »
    Trying to turn Kevin Owens into Stone Cold was a compete disaster

To be fair, all he did was take his move.....

But they did drop the ball with KO. Like many others, they should have put him over Cena but they didnt.

Probably not Cenas fault, but he should have put over at least one of KO, Bray or Rusev when he feuded with them. While each got one over on Cena, he ultimately over came them all in the end.

Cena could affird to put them over and then they could be pushed into the Main Event.

But no, they lose.... then are mid card after thoughts booking wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At times you can't really blame WWE for not pushing someone. How many times have they started a push only for an injury to happen and plans changing on the fly.
    I do find it annoying as well but it's happened so often that they should either build multiple people at the same time, as backups, which they won't do, or treat multiple people the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I tell you, wrestling (just like life) is full of uncertainty. Who would have believed that the rock would buy the xfl? Who would have believed 5 years ago Vince would have even brought back the xfl?

Who would have believed 20 years ago in 2000 that not only would ECW and WCW be gone within a year, they would be bought by WWE.

Sky and WWE parting ways.
    Sting finally having a match with WWE.

The list of moments can go on. But what about the future? What do you think the future will hold on regards to professional wrestling?

For me, I honestly think WWE will get purchased at some point and my money is on by Disney. Disney owns fox (60% majority stake) - fox has a deal with WWE so their fingers are already in the pie. While Disney does have a diverse portfolio it does like family friendly entertainment which WWE has loved to provide over the years.

Another prediction I say would be from the Saudi deal. If that ends a wrestling promotion could be born, backed by that Saudi money, to continue on bringing live wrestling events and they'd be shown around the world like the current Saudi events. You'd just know they'd be throwing big money at any big names within wrestling too.

Care to add?

Disney don't own the Fox TV network afaik. Deal was for the film stuff. Broadcasting network is separate

CastorTroy wrote: »
    At times you can't really blame WWE for not pushing someone. How many times have they started a push only for an injury to happen and plans changing on the fly.
    I do find it annoying as well but it's happened so often that they should either build multiple people at the same time, as backups, which they won't do, or treat multiple people the same

They cant play it safe forever, theres no reward.

Drew has been great since Royal Rumble. Beats everyone and looks like a champ. Its working out as best it can during the no fans situation.

Now if they put Orton over, it depends on the goal and how its done.

Are we building to Orton v McIntyre at Mania? If so then I dont mind if Orton wins dirty. Then have Drew be unstoppable until the meet again.

But Im betting thats not the goal or if they have one long term. For that reason they need to out Drew over at SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

titan18 wrote: »
    Disney don't own the Fox TV network afaik. Deal was for the film stuff. Broadcasting network is separate

Had to read up again on the deal.
    Appears that anything 20th century fox ever created (TV or movies) is now owned by Disney.

They own certain networks like FX and national geographic apart of the deal. FoxCorp still owns the news and sports channels (to which smackdown is on) but it's absolutely messy.

I also read that Disney owns the international rights to fox sports.
    Just also read that It originally owned fox sports apart of the deal but then Sinclair (more on them below) and some company called Entertainment Studios bought fox sports from Disney. Urgh. Rather confusing. So I don't know anymore lol.

Also see that Sinclair? They own ring of honour too :pac: that I do know.

Advertisement