Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert - higher/ordinary or common

Options
  • 05-08-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me which subjects have higher and ordinary levels these days? My son in starting third year and last year we were told they were splitting them for maths but I haven't heard about any other subject and he has said that maths is the only subject that they have split for.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This year was the last of HL and OL History, so, common from now in.

Daft decision in my opinion, but there you go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Maths , English and Irish will be the only ones from here on out that will have higher and ordinary as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

dory wrote: »
    Maths , English and Irish will be the only ones from here on out that will have higher and ordinary as far as I know.

Thanks, was the same back when I did the "inter". So maybe they're just getting them all doing the HL English and Irish since there's no split and he's not aware of higher vs ordinary within the class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, but in the days of the Inter. there was also the Day Vocational (or 'Group') which offered another level. Group and Inter papers would frighten today's students.

https://www.dublin1850.com/oldexams/oldpapers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

spurious wrote: »
    Yes, but in the days of the Inter. there was also the Day Vocational (or 'Group') which offered another level. Group and Inter papers would frighten today's students.

https://www.dublin1850.com/oldexams/oldpapers.html

I got a B back in the day but would struggle to pass that now. The kids wouldn't have a clue about the maths papers from back then either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement