Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cabin in neighbours garden

• 09-08-2020 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    My husband and I are hoping someone may be able to offer advice.
    Our new neighbours have erected a wooden cabin in their back garden which we estimate to be circa 29 sq m. To put things into context; we live in the adjoining semi detached property, with small gardens and there is a 6 foot fence between us. They did not inform us that they planned on installing the structure, which has a pitched roof and x2 windows and a door which are above the height of the boundary fence.
    A few years ago, we invested in a single storey extension (when the previous owners lived next door) and spoke to all our neighbours at the time to ensure they were happy. The back of our extension consists of a large sliding door. As the cabin is facing the direction of our house; they can see directly into our kitchen / living space and our little boys' bedroom upstairs.
    As it has gone up only in the last few days, we do not yet know what it will be used for; but it is wired and there is at least two rooms in it- so we suspect it will be used as extra bedroom space (they have a few kids and previously said they wanted to extend). As well as our privacy concerns, we feel it will be a deterrant for potential buyers should we chose to sell and we are worried as to what it may potentially be used for(i.e.rented as there is access via side entrance). It blocks our light and noise may become an issue.
    We have not approached our neighbours as we feel there is nothing they will do- the thing is built and there is no space for them to move it!
    We are very reasonable people, have lived in the estate for over 15 years and have never had problems with neighbours in the past. The situation is causing us a lot of stress, especially as we were not told. My understanding is that planning is required for these types of buildings if they are used as living quarters (but not as a garden room / gym etc).
    Can anyone offer us advice as to how best to deal with this? Anyone been in a similar situation?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They need planning. If they don't have it then you can report to the local council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭enricoh

Keep smiling and waving and ring the council!
    If the back of the cabin was facing my place I wouldn't care less but facing in - no thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They don't necessarily need planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hurrache wrote: »
    They don't necessarily need planning.

Council will decide that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Exempt: You can build 25m2 shed/Use ancillary to Dwelling house

Boundary is 6ft? How are these windows looking into yours? What are the level differences between the properties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

They don’t need to talk to you or tell you what they’re doing on their private property, a lot of those buildings do not require planning permission either, it would be different if they were building a two storey house, then yeah i’d have complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

billie1b wrote: »
    They don’t need to talk to you or tell you what they’re doing on their private property, a lot of those buildings do not require planning permission either, it would be different if they were building a two storey house.

I was wondering how long it would take before one of these comments. Surprised it took this long really. :rolleyes:

You sound like a disaster of a neighbour, they don’t need to talk to you or tell you what they’re doing on their private property, a lot of those buildings do not require planning permission either, it would be different if they were building a two storey house, then yeah i’d have complaints but a single storey building, suck it up and put the green eyes away.

Might as well get it checked and if that’s the case then grand. If it is too large then get it taken down. None of us can decide if it meets regulations or not.

The bolded part shows you’re living in some territorial fantasy world anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

A couple I know got one (well sounds similar to your description) installed in their back garden years ago, they had 3 kids and used it for play/leisure. It held a snooker table, kids toys, dart board on the wall, couple of cushions on the floor, bean bag that type of thing. It too had windows in it. But they would warn the kids near evening time especially in the summer months to keep the noise down. I know they didn't have any issues but to be fair they are really responsible parents and the cabin was only ever used as a play den for the kids really.

* But in your case obviously I don't know if it'll be for the same purpose as described above.z Though I understand fully your concern.

Maybe knock in and just ask them, especially seen as the windows are facing into your home I think you have every right to enquire. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

It's a log cabin not Trump Tower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

They don’t need to talk to you or tell you what they’re doing on their private property, a lot of those buildings do not require planning permission either, it would be different if they were building a two storey house.

Ah come on it's a matter of civil courtesy especially since the windows are facing into the posters property. What if it's used to house people, imagine the noise. Like I say it about manners and basic regard for your neighbour that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Might as well get it checked and if that’s the case then grand. If it is too large then get it taken down. None of us can decide if it meets regulations or not.

The bolded part shows you’re living in some territorial fantasy world anyway.

I reckon it’s within the regulations.

My next door neighbour is just finishing a big extension out their back garden, single storey house, apex roof, L-shaped, gorgeous thing, they’re renting their original house and moving into the new build. It doesn’t bother me or my family in the slightest, or any of the neighbours for that matter.

I reckon it’s within the regulations.

My next door neighbour is just finishing a big extension out their back garden, single storey house, apex roof, L-shaped, gorgeous thing, they’re renting their original house and moving into the new build. It doesn’t bother me or my family in the slightest, or any of the neighbours for that matter.

Ah so you know all the specifics then. Should have said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Billie1b - do not post in this thread again until mods have reviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I was wondering how long it would take before one of these comments. Surprised it took this long really. :rolleyes:

I'm also surprised it received so few thanks.. usually the unsympathetic holier-than-thou posts get loads of thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭mulbot

How can a cabin at ground level look into an upstairs bedroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They need planning. If they don't have it then you can report to the local council

Based on what?

A "guess" that it is 29sqm

And a "guess" that possibly at some point in the future but not currently, it will be lived in.

Thankfully a council does not work on "guessing" or some future hyperbole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't know why people are getting at the OP, she is only looking for advice on what to do.

In my case there is an upstairs window facing out on to the neighbours kitchen, before I did anything I asked him if he was ok with it and if he wasn't I wouldn't put it in, he was and there was no problem.

The neighbours should have let the OP know what they were planning to do and a compromise would have been worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Meredith2016

Thanks to everyone for your advice/ input. I will contact the council and outline our concerns ,let them decide. If it is legal we will either learn to live with it or sell up.
    I didn't post this query to be judged - I would have expected as a neighbourly courtesy that they would have popped in and mentioned it to us. That is they way we would have approached it is all. To clarify, the workmen advised us that the cabin IS 29 sq m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

None of these cabins meet building regs.

All of these cabins need planning.

Those saying to mind your own business.... The OP is, this unlawful construction will devalue their house should they wish to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Don't know why people are getting at the OP, she is only looking for advice on what to do.

In my case there is an upstairs window facing out on to the neighbours kitchen, before I did anything I asked him if he was ok with it and if he wasn't I wouldn't put it in, he was and there was no problem.

The neighbours should have let the OP know what they were planning to do and a compromise would have been worked out.

Because it's all negative negative negative, the world is falling in and full of catastrophe syndrome conjecture.

Just surprised that it did not add that refugees would be moving in.

And the throwing in of the "my little boys bedroom" really took the biscuit.

Sorry op, but life is not about what rules YOU want to live by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭gifted

Thanks to everyone for your advice/ input. I will contact the council and outline our concerns ,let them decide. If it is legal we will either learn to live with it or sell up.
    I didn't post this query to be judged - I would have expected as a neighbourly courtesy that they would have popped in and mentioned it to us. That is they way we would have approached it is all. To clarify, the workmen advised us that the cabin IS 29 sq m.

That seems to be the right way to approach it. Appreciate it if you could keep us updated with whatever the outcome will be. Good luck.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Because it's all negative negative negative, the world is falling in and full of catastrophe syndrome conjecture.

No, they'll be about the councils rules. That's why they should check and see.

My main concern is that it may devalue our house as another poster has mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hi
    Before you initiate a inquiry or outline any concerns that might create more uncertainty.

Couple of things to consider

These are new neighbours they bought the house they must have had this idea when buying.
    It might have been the only reason for buying as the place they were living before wasn't big enough.

Was a foundation dug and poured
    Was any concrete laid that is over 150mm above ground level.
    Is the cabin considered as temporary I.e. easily taken down and wouldn't leave an imprint as in the foundations.
    Is the cabin over 4mtrs high.
    It is the internal foot print that matters in the area. So if they have a covered little porch on the front it won't count.

All these have to be exceeded before the council will act. Also it is a great time of uncertainty and with the current restrictions not sure the council will have any appetite for such involvement right now.

Might be better to talk to them over the garden wall. Maybe a bar of Cadburys

IMV life is too short to worry about what others are doing.

Take care D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Those saying to mind your own business.... The OP is, this unlawful construction will devalue their house should they wish to sell.

If being used as a shed they don't need to meet building regulations and if being used as a shed and meet the exemptions don't need Planning permission.

No one has any idea if the OPs neighbours need PP or not, so it could be lawful and then it won't devalue their property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Wrong and wrong.
    1. Depending on the use Building Regulations may not even be applicable.

2. Many are exempt from planning.

3. It has yet to be detrimined if it unauthorised development to say it is un lawful is incorrect without knowing all the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Darc19 wrote: »

Thanks for imparting your knowledge on building regulations and legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am kinda in agreement with dzer but you need to get sorted.
    You said the windows in roof so no problem there as looking at sky.
    I suspect it is built up off what was likely grass.
    The first question i would ask you is.
    How much higher is the top of cabin door above the top of boundery wall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Op if you decide to report (I wouldn't but it's your decision and right) please familiarise yourself with what will happen.
    Council will call round and either rule out any issue or proceed to investigate, if they rule it out you have gain d nothing but the home owners will be suspicious of who complained.
    Council will tell the cabin owners they are in breach of something and they will have to apply for retention. At this point if you want then to have Issue you will have to object and this will be a matter of record. Your neighbors will now know it was you.

They will probably come to a compromise and retain the cabin, however you will now have people living next door to you that hate you.

If it was me I'd plant a hedge or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

It seems like most the issues that are discussed in this forum would be resolved if the relevant parties simply discussed prior to any building taking place so a compromise could be made.

I am kinda in agreement with dzer but you need to get sorted.
    You said the windows in roof so no problem there as looking at sky.
    I suspect it is built up off what was likely grass.
    The first question i would ask you is.
    How much higher is the top of cabin door above the top of boundery wall?

Hi, around 4 foot above the boundary fence. The windows arent on the roof however- they are facing our house. You are right, it was built on grass . Thanks

mulbot wrote: »
    How can a cabin at ground level look into an upstairs bedroom?

Periscope

It’s all well and good for everyone to say lie down and get walked on for fear of not being beast pals with the neighbour when it’s someone else. It’s also very easy to be jokey and flippant when there’s nobody peering in your windows. For all the OP knows they could be going to rent this out to God knows who.

Hi, around 4 foot above the boundary fence. The windows arent on the roof however- they are facing our house. You are right, it was built on grass . Thanks

That means they can clearly see over the wall into your back garden.
    Have a chat with them and ask if it can be lowered that you want your privacy in your garden.
    It is built up on something blocks or timbers so be easy to lower, get on it straight abay as i suspect
    the supplier who installed should know better and may have duty to put right.

• Advertisement

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Op if you decide to report (I wouldn't but it's your decision and right) please familiarise yourself with what will happen.
    Council will call round and either rule out any issue or proceed to investigate, if they rule it out you have gain d nothing but the home owners will be suspicious of who complained.
    Council will tell the cabin owners they are in breach of something and they will have to apply for retention. At this point if you want then to have Issue you will have to object and this will be a matter of record. Your neighbors will now know it was you.

They will probably come to a compromise and retain the cabin, however you will now have people living next door to you that hate you.

If it was me I'd plant a hedge or something.

Thank you, this is good advice and a fallout is something I really dont want. It puts us in a difficult situation. Putting in a hedge is something we are considering. Or we just move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

People can't even build a shed now without pissing off the neighbors.

nthclare wrote: »
    People can't even build a shed now without pissing off the neighbors.

They can, once they’re not taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Thank you, this is good advice and a fallout is something I really dont want. It puts us in a difficult situation. Putting in a hedge is something we are considering. Or we just move.

Hugh difference between planting a hedge or moving ,maybe ask them to take out the window overlooking your place or even switch to obscured glass so they will still have a bit of light but you can't be seen

Yo need immediate effect so hedge be too slow.
    If you decide this route put up a picket fence immediately in front of the offending window door, that will have immediate effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Yo need immediate effect so hedge be too slow.
    If you decide this route put up a picket fence immediately in front of the offending window door, that will have immediate effect.

If the window is 10ft high both a hedge and fence is a bit impractical

The reason you see so many of these kind of posts on here is simply because people are used to their surroundings, and it's very annoying (beyond annoying in some cases) when a next door neighbour makes a big change without even having the courtesy to inform you.

Especially in the case of Log Cabin structures. They can quite easily be made very homely, and with everyone and their mother taking advantage of the rent crisis, it's not crazy to think that you could well have a family living in the 'shed' in their garden. Or it could just be for storing a few bikes. Or a home gym. Or an extra bedroom for a shift worker that needs quiet during the day.

It could be loads of things, so it never hurts to pop into the neighbours and just say "howdy neighbour - I'm planning to put a shed in the back garden, gonna use it as a place to work on making bombs for a terrorist attack I'm planning, this is a quick sketch of what I'm doing, are you okay with it? You can keep the sketch there, and I'll call in tomorrow so you've a chance to see how you feel, and here's a bottle of wine and some chocolates as way of apology for the noise that'll be caused when it's going up".

Just one 5 minute conversation, and everyone is happy. Neighbours feel consulted, and not hard done by, €20 on some wine and chocolate and all of a sudden you're in the good books should you ever need the neighbour for anything in future, you know you won't be hearing from the Council and if there is a major objection by the neighbour about your design or such, you can work on a compromise before it's built so it's not an issue after the fact.

But nope. Instead it's "fcuk them, this is my property, and I'll do what i want!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Out of curiosity I know this is to do with a shed and all but just got me thinking, any house I've ever lived or been in that's in an estate or development, most houses are in rows.

I'm looking out my windows now for research purposes only haha

When I look out a window downstairs I can see into the house adjacent upstairs and some downstairs, when I'm upstairs I can see into their kitchens fully, and into numerous back gardens. Out the back most boundary walls/fences are low enough to stick your head over. Even with the walls I can still see into bedrooms and kitchens.

I'm not being smart or anything but surely this is the norm anywhere?? Unless you live in a detached house with surroundings?

Like do people actually just stand there all day and look into peoples windows?? Surely not and they have better things to be doing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

The reason you see so many of these kind of posts on here is simply because people are used to their surroundings, and it's very annoying (beyond annoying in some cases) when a next door neighbour makes a big change without even having the courtesy to inform you.

Especially in the case of Log Cabin structures. They can quite easily be made very homely, and with everyone and their mother taking advantage of the rent crisis, it's not crazy to think that you could well have a family living in the 'shed' in their garden. Or it could just be for storing a few bikes. Or a home gym. Or an extra bedroom for a shift worker that needs quiet during the day.

It could be loads of things, so it never hurts to pop into the neighbours and just say "howdy neighbour - I'm planning to put a shed in the back garden, gonna use it as a place to work on making bombs for a terrorist attack I'm planning, this is a quick sketch of what I'm doing, are you okay with it? You can keep the sketch there, and I'll call in tomorrow so you've a chance to see how you feel, and here's a bottle of wine and some chocolates as way of apology for the noise that'll be caused when it's going up".

Just one 5 minute conversation, and everyone is happy. Neighbours feel consulted, and not hard done by, €20 on some wine and chocolate and all of a sudden you're in the good books should you ever need the neighbour for anything in future, you know you won't be hearing from the Council and if there is a major objection by the neighbour about your design or such, you can work on a compromise before it's built so it's not an issue after the fact.

But nope. Instead it's "fcuk them, this is my property, and I'll do what i want!".

While I don't disagree with the wine and chat method I do believe that people feel they are allowed build a garden room and that the OP's neighbours probably just didn't think they were doing anything wrong.

You can buy mature hedging and a ten foot hedge is not overly large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭corkcitychess

it's very annoying (beyond annoying in some cases) when a next door neighbour makes a big change without even having the courtesy to inform you.
    I moved to London several years ago...the house next door to me was sold and my new neighbour built an illegal outbuilding in his garden...he applied to the council for planning permission to build a computer room / storage facility which was granted but of course he put in pipework and drainage and rented it out at £850 a month....he never even consulted me...I reported him recently to the council....

took about 6 weeks for the investigation to gain traction but the upshot is he has to remove all the fittings and pipework...his tenants are currently in the process of moving out...I was hoping for a demolition order but am satisfied for now that he is on the council watchlist and he has been ordered to make remedial works on his illegal outbuilding. Beds in Sheds is a huge problem in London at the moment.

Report your neighbour.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    While I don't disagree with the wine and chat method I do believe that people feel they are allowed build a garden room and that the OP's neighbours probably just didn't think they were doing anything wrong.

You can buy mature hedging and a ten foot hedge is not overly large.

The hedge would be an option if all is above board with the new structure. But I wouldn’t be jumping the gun on one before checking first.

Bullocks wrote: »
    If the window is 10ft high both a hedge and fence is a bit impractical

The reason i would put up a cheap fence immediately is to block their view into my garden, it may make them realize their error as if fence couple feet from their window not work for them either.
    This is crazy stuff, they are surely not nice people.

I think your best option is lodge a complaint but be open about it, if you know them tell them you unhappy.
    How react will decide how you go about complaint.
    They clearly made it high to let the light in and so they can see out.
    Blinds can be set so they can have the light coming in,can see your garden and you cannot see in.
    I would not be too worried if people like that were not talking to me though it is bad not to be on terms with people next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am struggling to see how a single storey log cabin built on grass (ie not on raised foundations) can have the top 4 ft of its door and windows above a 6ft fence, unless there is a serious slope in the land. If that is the case then I think the OP is right to be concerned.

Putting in a 10ft hedge might be a solution if next door is north of the OP, otherwise they are casting their own garden into shadow.

endacl wrote: »
    Council will decide that.

Most, if not all, already have as the regulations are quite clear on it.

They don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement