Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Battery Drain - PlayStore Update (Aug 2020) [Merged]

Options
  • 08-08-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

For no reason that I can ascertain, my Samsung Galaxy S7 has suddenly started to get extremely hot and the battery is rapidly draining. It's not been a slow process, but just started suddenly 2 days ago. The device will just shut down due to lack of power.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

For no reason that I can ascertain, my Samsung Galaxy S7 has suddenly started to get extremely hot and the battery is rapidly draining. It's not been a slow process, but just started suddenly 2 days ago. The device will just shut down due to lack of power.

Same for me since the latest update

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

if you have the covid app on your phone there is an issue, Devs are aware and trying to get sorted. it's a playstore thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

yes same happened to me today after aug update . (one + 7 )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Same happened with my note 10 plus when I attempted to install the aug android update(it failed, throwing an error message at 26%). Later after 3 hours shopping with the misses and very little phone use it had gone from 87% to 15% battery , checking battery usage google play services was using 30% of battery, up from 3% the day before , and the covid app was the next highest using 11%. I tried all the suggestions , restart , clear Google play services cache , check for syncing issues , even deleted the covid app, to no avail , google services is still at 30% . That being said after charging the phone it doesn't seem to be burning through the battery as quick as before . We'll see what tomorrow brings I guess .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

think its something to do with the latest software update for Samsung android phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

i had this - nightmare - save or
    move everything from your phone. Now. Mine went from this to dead as a doornail & refusing to recharge & no further signs of life. Shop shrugged it off and said they’d had a lot of complaints with that model. F* all use to me. They didnt say that when the sold it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Same thing happened my wife's phone directly after a Samsung update. She has a galaxy s8. I came to this forum to look up a replacement android and happened across this.
    My s9 is also draining faster but not at the same rate as hers. In fact the wireless charging isn't even charging it fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

i had this - nightmare - save or
    move everything from your phone. Now. Mine went from this to dead as a doornail & refusing to recharge & no further signs of life. Shop shrugged it off and said they’d had a lot of complaints with that model. F* all use to me. They didnt say that when the sold it to me.

Lol calm down!

This isn't phone specific its clearly a issue to do with the covid app and play services.

Uninstall the covid app for now. Clear the cache. Turn off the phone. Charge fully turned off. Should be ok on a restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Google Play Services & the Covid App are both causing massive battery drain over the past two days... Phone depleting in the space of an hour...

Have deleted Covid app and uninstalled updates for Google Play Services...

Anyone else experiencing similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Yes practically everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Google Play Services & the Covid App are both causing massive battery drain over the past two days... Phone depleting in the space of an hour...

Have deleted Covid app and uninstalled updates for Google Play Services...

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Exact same thing happening to me. I thought it was the phone. Reticent to delete COVID App. Looks like it's Google Play Services causing most of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MrFireCoalMan

Found a solution to this on Twitter. Clearing the cache on Google play services and Covid tracker sorted it out.
    Settings/Apps/Google Play Services/Storage/Clear cache, do the same with Covid tracker and restart phone. All good for me since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Same here since yesterday. Found the fix above about clearing the data and cache of play services and it seems to have worked. (I didn't clear the covid app data because I was worried that would delete the tracking data.) The phone is now at a normal temperature and battery seems to be slower draining although I'll need a few hours to check that right.

The phone was like a hot water bottle all day yesterday. Had to charge it 3 times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

My phone developed the exact same issue. I've followed the advice mentioned so I'll see how it goes. I'll post later about howit went.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Found a solution to this on Twitter. Clearing the cache on Google play services and Covid tracker sorted it out.
    Settings/Apps/Google Play Services/Storage/Clear cache, do the same with Covid tracker and restart phone. All good for me since.

Does clearing the cache on the covid app get rid of all the contacts for tracing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ongarite

No need to delete COVID app or clear its data.
    If you clear the data on Play Services it has fixed issue for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

ongarite wrote: »
    No need to delete COVID app or clear its data.
    If you clear the data on Play Services it has fixed issue for many.

Do you mean clear storage, clear cache or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ongarite

54and56 wrote: »
    Do you mean clear storage, clear cache or both?

Clear storage will clear everything including cache.

ongarite wrote: »
    Clear storage will clear everything including cache.

Did that and rebooted the phone.

Was just about to use the phone (Google Pay) to pay for some coffees and it seems clearing Google Play Services Storage requires your to set up Google Pay again :-(

This always happens my 3a when there's a new update available. Update the phone to the latest FW and it should be back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Did that and rebooted the phone.

Was just about to use the phone (Google Pay) to pay for some coffees and it seems clearing Google Play Services Storage requires your to set up Google Pay again :-(

Well caught, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭pinkfloydian

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Lol calm down!

This isn't phone specific its clearly a issue to do with the covid app and play services.

Uninstall the covid app for now. Clear the cache. Turn off the phone. Charge fully turned off. Should be ok on a restart.

Nope! Did all that and from fully charged it is now at 57% after 90 minutes while sitting idle on my table. Also getting very hot.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Well caught, thanks.

Had to re setup Google Pay and Google Backup.

30 seconds sorted both. No need to rescan your debit card etc, all that info is backed up so you just need to confirm everything, insert your CVV number, receive a text with a 6 digit PIN and you're back up and running.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was wondering what was going on, thanks for the thread. Down the 30% yesterday out of nowhere, I wasn't out an about or on data. 94% this morning even though I had it on charge over night, down to 82% in the length of time it took me to have porridge. It was very warm yesterday too.

This always happens my 3a when there's a new update available. Update the phone to the latest FW and it should be back to normal.

That's not the issue, it's a well known global issue with the Covid app.

Source: have a fully up-to-date 3a.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Yes, same! Didn't realize it has something to do with covid app though.

Followed solution for Google Play services causes battery drain and seems no issues since then.

XVII wrote: »
    Yes, same! Didn't realize it has something to do with covid app though.

Followed solution for Google Play services causes battery drain and seems no issues since then.

So after clearing Storage in Google Play Services can we relaunch the Covid app or keep it forced closed until there's an update/fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

So after clearing Storage in Google Play Services can we relaunch the Covid app or keep it forced closed until there's an update/fix?

to be honest I haven't relaunched it since then, and probably not going to try for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I thought it was just my phone. I was actually going to buy a new one. I'm glad I read this thread first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Sorry just to ask is it both storage and cache or just cache? Don't want to end up deleting apps or something

Advertisement