Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amstel Gold Race 2019 - Sunday April 21st **unmasked spoilers**

Options
  • 21-04-2019 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't see a thread.
    The race has just finished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That is one of the most extraordinary finishes I've ever watched. What an amazing win by MVdP. Wow, just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The best one day performance I've seen live on TV. Van der Poel dragged that group for 5 km or so and then rode them off the wheel at the finish... incredible!

He says that he'll honour his contract until 2023... I can't see that happening now. I wonder how big the buy-out clause in his contract is?

Salary wise, I'd say he could ask for 5 million and a team like Ineos would take him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I'm still shaking from having watched that live. Simply the most astonishing finish I've ever seen to a bike race. He is an extraordinary talent.
    They'll be talking about this race for years to come
    Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some ride. One rider carrying a team

There are highlights on Eurosport2 at 7pm for anyone that missed it (or wants to watch it again!). They are showing the highlights of the women's race at 8.30pm on the same channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Canyon are going to need to shower him in money if they aren't already.

On the womens race, how cool was the pink kit and matching S-Works bikes the Boels Dolmans ladies had. I know it was for a cause but they should think about keeping those colours.

Raam wrote: »
    Canyon are going to need to shower him in money if they aren't already.
    He's getting €1-1.5M per year, most of which is covered by Canyon, with an expectation that he competes in MTB at the next Olympics on their equipment.
    He's already too expensive for Lefevre at Quickstep and Jumbo wont have him alongside Van Aert. He'll certainly have a release/buy-out clause in his contract, but there are limited places as to where he fits/can be afforded. Maybe Movistar as a good fit for Canyon and as Valverde's power ebbs. Hopefully not ****in Sky/Ineos......anyone but them.

Are katusha using Canyons this year? They could do with a decent name in their squad

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    He's getting €1-1.5M per year, most of which is covered by Canyon, with an expectation that he competes in MTB at the next Olympics on their equipment.
    He's already too expensive for Lefevre at Quickstep and Jumbo wont have him alongside Van Aert. He'll certainly have a release/buy-out clause in his contract, but there are limited places as to where he fits/can be afforded. Maybe Movistar as a good fit for Canyon and as Valverde's power ebbs. Hopefully not ****in Sky/Ineos......anyone but them.

He deserves every penny.

• Advertisement

Maybe he will end up staying with Corendon - Circus. They will get an invite to any race that they want because MVdP is so good

Maybe he will end up staying with Corendon - Circus. They will get an invite to any race that they want because MVdP is so good

Hopefully PR next year :)

Raam wrote: »
    Hopefully PR next year :)

His team were apparently considered for a spot in PR this year as far back as October Corendon-Circus did not pursue it as they had said that Van der Poel would not ride it anyway. He was targeting the Amstel Gold Race, where he could race in the Dutch champions jersey on home roads. There's confidence for you....

Apparently his grandad was a bit handy with a bike to

https://twitter.com/procycletrumps/status/1120023062722818049?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Eamonnator wrote: »

Thanks - I remember his father Adrie well racing in the 80s. Didn’t realise his grandfather was Raymond Poulidor!

Incredible race today. Think we need a Mathieu van der Poel thread.

His aul fella was giving out spare wheels at the side of the road for the circus today.

neris wrote: »
    His aul fella was giving out spare wheels at the side of the road for the circus today.

He missed MVDP or other Circus rider and a rider had to duck under his arm while he was holding up the bottle. He shrugged , turned and handed to bottle to a kid that was next to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Just saw the highlights there, bloody hell!

• Advertisement

Cool ad by Canyon about MVdP

Cool ad by Canyon about MVdP

Hopefully Declan Quigley got a payout for that ad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

letape wrote: »
    Think we need a Mathieu van der Poel thread.
    Those threads temd to act as spoilers, as they tend too rise to the top of the thread list whenever the named rider wins.

Neal Rogers wrote this about MvdP 18months ago at the height of the 2017 Cyclocross season

"The most talented bike racer on the planet"

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/mathieu-van-der-poel-is-most-talented-bike-racer-on-planet/

Also, this....

Check out @reynjt’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/reynjt/status/1120055670529757184?s=09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I didn't realise that some pros are now uploading to strava and including power data!
    Here's a look at Van der poel's numbers.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2307958367/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

tuxy wrote: »
    I didn't realise that some pros are now uploading to strava and including power data!
    Here's a look at Van der poel's numbers.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2307958367/overview

1ef979762d2ec17f1e05f69df022d21a.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Probably a brief gps error, when I look at the analysis his real max speed was about 90 km/h

Advertisement