Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If your cycling wardrobe went up in smoke

Options
  • 26-08-2018 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Been watching documentaries about minimalism and consumerism with Mrs RS and my mind wandered to my cycling kit which has already had a couple of major clear outs based on time and experience.

I think if every bit of kit was gone I'd probably start with:

1. Quality Jersey + good quality shorts + snazzy socks + cotton cap
    2. Arm + Leg warmers + packable insulated gilet + buff
    3. LS baselayer + leggings to combine with all of the above to make winter kit
    4. Rain jacket + overshoes

And proceed carefully from there.

In fairness it's common enough for me to use all of my summer or winter gear in a good week but there's a lot of overlap and some kit that I don't love but is enough that I can wait for a full load cycling wash once a week.

That's not including the jerseys I sold off, gave away and the cheap bibs I wore out.

What about everyone else?
    Is there kit you'd rather you didn't have and what's the least amount of kit you could get by with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Patiently awaits WA answer to this!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Im curious why the OP would buy snazzy socks before arm warmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I think if every bit of kit was gone....
    I'm traumatised just thinking about that! :eek:

I'd get a quick €1,000 from the Credit Union and would be onto Prendas straight away to replace Molteni, La Vie Claire, Pellegrino, Faema etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Im curious why the OP would buy snazzy socks before arm warmers?
    Because when you close in on the victim cyclist ahead of you, you'll always zone in on his/her socks, checking for height and design.

I've never found myself saying 'nice arm warmers'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Club gear for the win, two short sleeves, two shorts, jacket, gilet and arm warmers and knee warmers to complete the ensemble along with socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What about everyone else?
    Is there kit you'd rather you didn't have and what's the least amount of kit you could get by with?
    I wouldn't get away with one pair of shorts, given turbo and commutes - well not unless I was skipping washing which isn't wise. And you'd just end up replacing them more frequently rather than have a few on rotation? I do use some of the better ali shorts for my commute though.

I've definitely gone a bit less is more in terms of numbers of items, but spending more. Except for my retro jersey addiction. There's always another one!

Earlier in the year, on one of the US podcasts they were discussing this and for them, the big thing for versatility was thermal bib shorts, which they could ride on their own or pair with knee or leg warmers depending on conditions. They were discussing based on Colorado where there is big swings between the mountains and valleys, and long descents. I'm not sure for here - if it's cold enough for thermal tights starting off, it doesn't normally change that much on my normal weekend spins. And the only ones I could find were pretty expensive, for something I wasn't quite convinced of the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Here I was thinking the OP's list was fairly comprehensive, not just a start!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Chances of it happening to me are quite low as I always have spares in the office, the holiday home and the safe deposit box

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I wouldn't get away with one pair of shorts, given turbo and commutes - well not unless I was skipping washing which isn't wise. And you'd just end up replacing them more frequently rather than have a few on rotation? I do use some of the better ali shorts for my commute though.

I've definitely gone a bit less is more in terms of numbers of items, but spending more. Except for my retro jersey addiction. There's always another one!

Earlier in the year, on one of the US podcasts they were discussing this and for them, the big thing for versatility was thermal bib shorts, which they could ride on their own or pair with knee or leg warmers depending on conditions. They were discussing based on Colorado where there is big swings between the mountains and valleys, and long descents. I'm not sure for here - if it's cold enough for thermal tights starting off, it doesn't normally change that much on my normal weekend spins. And the only ones I could find were pretty expensive, for something I wasn't quite convinced of the need.

I've recently come to the same conclusion and added a set of Sportful NoRain Shorts to the collection.

Point taken on multiple bibs but I don't currently commute in Lycra as it's only a 5k bip. I do get out about 3-5 times a week for leisure spins so realistically I could get by on two pairs with judicious washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

I've never found myself saying 'nice arm warmers'.

75434-207-036f-681x1024.jpg

brought this to mind

• Advertisement
Advertisement