Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-10-2016, 16:21   #91
pinkypinky

I think the mistake people are making here is thinking that the genealogy section had the coins and "tat" included in it, when in fact, they were just adjacent. The genealogy section was really just 25 stands at the front of the Industries Hall.
Advertisement
24-10-2016, 16:25   #92
Jellybaby1

It was a bit of a squash though. Both subjects need more space to themselves.
24-10-2016, 23:33   #93
tabbey

The coin collectors probably felt that we were a nuisance taking up space in their section - it works both ways.

The major problem from my point of view, was the noise, there was no excuse for music in a zone occupied by genealogists & coin collectors, it is difficult enough to hear at the best of times, when crowded, without amplified music.
Thanks from:
05-11-2016, 22:56   #94
mod9maple

I read this today and wanted to share, thought everyone here would smile wryly and nod in agreement. It's taken from an online Vanity Fair article about the search for Patsey from 12 Years a Slave:

"There is no way to estimate how long it could take to find (someone)," said Mills. It could take months. It could take years. Records were not created for genealogical purposes; they were not created for historical purposes. Public records are created for legal purposes. Censuses were created for analytical purposes. And so they created what was needed. We, as researchers, have to learn all of the different resources that exist for an area, and then we have to learn all of the different techniques to link little different pieces of data into a whole person. In the end, a person is more than a name - a person is a concrete set of characteristics. We assemble as many pieces of those characteristics as possible, and we use that to help us narrow down. It is an incredible amount of work."

Quote: Elizabeth Shown Mills

Last edited by mod9maple; 05-11-2016 at 23:01.
13-11-2016, 22:35   #95
L1011

Booterstown RC Parish really did have exceptional record keeping in the 1850s/1860s - lovely preprinted baptism registers with the DOB recorded; and someone after the fact went and did a first-letter-of-surname summary index also (from 1817 on)

Also a first of surname (husband only) index for marriages but marginally too new (1850s) to be of use to me.

Last edited by L1011; 13-11-2016 at 22:50.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-11-2016, 22:40   #96
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Booterstown RC Parish really did have exceptional record keeping in the 1850s/1860s - lovely preprinted baptism registers with the DOB recorded; and someone after the fact went and did a first-letter-of-surname summary index also (from 1817 on)

Also a first of surname (husband only) index for marriages but marginally too new (1850s) to be of use to me.
Yes, Dublin parishes generally had superior records to their country cousins.

One reason for this is that they had ready access to stationers with quality ink, while the bumpkins had to water down the ink, or God help us, make their own substitute.

Booterstown had another advantage, it was on the "Gold Coast",(Sandymount to Greystones) where some, at least, parishioners had money, rather than just people scraping to survive.
23-12-2016, 23:33   #97
pinkypinky

Happy Christmas, genies. I love our little community here on boards. Here's to 2017.

Remember that family get togethers are a great time to find out old gossip and flesh out stories, as well as creating new ones.
(4) thanks from:
24-12-2016, 00:38   #98
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Happy Christmas, genies. I love our little community here on boards. Here's to 2017.

Remember that family get togethers are a great time to find out old gossip and flesh out stories, as well as creating new ones.
Happy Christmas Pinky and to all. My advice to my fellow genealogists.....don't get granddad too drunk or he'll spin you a string of lies!!
Thanks from:
24-12-2016, 10:22   #99
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Happy Christmas Pinky and to all. My advice to my fellow genealogists.....don't get granddad too drunk or he'll spin you a string of lies!!
Festive greetings and sentiments repeated to all, an a special thanks to Pinky for her even-handed modding. Not sure about about the granddad comment though, "Where is granddad?" ....."He's in on his computer looking at dead people again!"
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-12-2016, 11:10   #100
Hermy

Yes, as above seasonal felicitations to one and all and a special thanks to Pinky for continuing to do an excellent job of steering the ship.

Thanks to those who gave me the help I was looking for with my queries during the year and also those who gave me help I didn't know I was looking for by posting their own genealogical puzzles and musings.
(2) thanks from:
24-12-2016, 17:19   #101
KildareFan

Happy christmas fellow boardies.

I spent the morning doing up the family tree - got a photo of a nice tree as background, used powerpoint to place text boxes with names and dates, photos, managed to fit five generations in. Got it copied and framed for the unsuspecting and probably ungrateful brothers and sisters.

Can't wait to see what wonderful new online databases will be released in 2017 - this year has been great.
(3) thanks from:
29-12-2016, 11:27   #102
Hermy

Independent Newspapers appear to have changed things at announcement.ie which means you can't search for older death notices.
Another useful source gone behind a pay-wall presumably.
30-12-2016, 16:47   #103
Corkgirl18

Just came across a new site today. Its probably well known but just said I'd mention it anyway.
Its http://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes. It contains essays written by people (mostly school kids) in the 30's and 40's. You can search by surname or by school.
I found essays written by 2 Grandparents of mine.
31-12-2016, 00:28   #104
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkgirl18 View Post
Just came across a new site today. Its probably well known but just said I'd mention it anyway.
It's been around for quite a while. Those records are known about by many, particularly those who have an interest in local history. While it is nice to discover the childhood jottings of an ancestor, and to see them digitised and transcribed (often by local volunteers), history ain’t.

It is folklore, stories recounted to children as part of a homework project and not to be taken without a very large dose of salt. Researching them before ‘on-line’, one would wonder if it was worth the trip to UCD to look at them in its Folklore Collection. The bools I have looked at are riddled with inaccuracies – historical and genealogical - and regularly ‘stained’ by the biased politics of post War of Independence Ireland. A light read, often entertaining, if Enid Blyton bores you.
31-12-2016, 11:12   #105
spurious
Category Moderator

I was amused to read one child's version of where the placename Killester came from. Wildly inaccurate of course, but like something a child would come up with.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion