Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Size advice

• 22-09-2012 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was looking at a Lapierre yesterday - I tried out an Audacio size medium (top tube length 547mm) and thought that it felt a bit small - the sales guy reckoned that I shouldn't be able to see the front axle (handlebars should block view) but the axle was well in front of the bars when I was in the hoods. He suggested a longer stem but it already had what looked like a longish stem fitted (at least 100mm)I then tried a Large which has a top tube length of 565mm. This felt much better but I felt that I was reaching a bit for the hoods. It had a 110 stem and I felt that I'd be more comfortable with a 90 or maybe 80 stem.

My inseam measurements suggest that my ideal top tube length should be 540mm so on paper the smaller bike is the correct fit but the shorter stem on the larger bike would get me into the same ballpark and I thought that it felt better. I had a Giant previously with a top tube length of 555 mm and that was always too big for me even with a short stem. The geometry if the Lapierre is different but would the general wisdom be that I'm much better off with a longer stem on the smaller Lapierre frame? I'm concerned that I just don't know what a correctly sized bike should feel like..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Personally I would prefer buy the smaller frame and have a longer stem. A 100mm or 110mm stem wouldn't be considered long. If you buy a frame that is too big, it is harder to get it to fit right.

Your inseam generally wouldn't influence the length of the top tube, rather your saddle height. Your torso and arm length would determine the top tube that length.

If it was me, id consider it worthwhile to get a big fit done. Alternatively I'd buy the bike that fits closest to your old one, if you were happy with that.

Advertisement