Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing my first self bike-build this weekend.

Options
  • 21-09-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Bought a Canyon CF frame during the TdF special offer.

Collected up crankset, brakes, derailleurs(got wrong type front, got a clamp & need a braze-on.. wtb) shifters, cables, saddle, pedals, wheels, bartape and bars over the last few months so I am ready to try and build it this weekend.

Can anybody recommend a good resource to step me through the whole cabling of the bike, running the cables, hooking them up to the brake and gear leavers(SRAM Rival)? I'm pretty comfortable with the rest of it.

Always where can I pick up Loctite in Dublin? Bike stores carry that kind of thing?
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

-B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Assume you're looking for blue Loctite? Hardware store probably. I think there's a decent one on George's St.

I think I got mine off ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Remember, if all goes well you will not need a hammer.

I 've posted this thread a while ago, might find it useful: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79226182

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

good luck, take pictures, and enjoy!!

its so rewarding starting with a pile of bits and ending up with something functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Briando wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a good resource to step me through the whole cabling of the bike, running the cables, hooking them up to the brake and gear leavers(SRAM Rival)? I'm pretty comfortable with the rest of it.

If the parts are new, the leaflets incuded with the parts should explain how the cabling needs to work and how they are fitted to the levers.

Alternatively, it might be worthwhile to do a search on youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I bought a Jagwire racer set of cables. Check their site as it has a step by step guide to cabling. To be honest is fairly easy with a few pitfalls. Threading the gear cable into the lever is the hardest most frustrating part. If you bought SRAM levers new then the cables are already threaded in. Don't cut your cables' excess until everything is set up though and remember to turn all the barrel adjusters fully clockwise and then 1 turn back first before tightening cables to derailleurs etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement