Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mountain bike like tyres on a racer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

hardCopy wrote: »
    I have a 2008 SCR 1.5 and find the 25's just barely squeeze between the callipers when I take the front wheel off, not sure I'd manage with 28's. But I do take the wheel off a lot, as in several times a week.

If you were to get them in an LBS they may fit them on the spot and you'd know for sure before buying.
    Inflate the tyres after you push them between the brakes. There is loads of room for 28's. You'd get mudguards in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cormie wrote: »
    Cool, I'll go with 28's of the gatorskins, what's the difference between folding and wire bead? wire bead sounds stronger?
    AIUI, folding is handy if you want to carry a spare tyre (touring / long distance). It may also be lighter. I don't think there's a strength issue (the bead locates the tyre on the wheel but it's the air pressure that keeps it in place.
    That's great to heard hardCopy, so 28 should be even better.

These are the only ones available in 28 actually: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ultra-gatorskin-road-tyre/
    "Sorry - this product is no longer available"

Unless you feel the need to be able to run a lower pressure tyre, I'd suggest that the 25 would be fine.
    hardCopy wrote: »
    I have a 2008 SCR 1.5 and find the 25's just barely squeeze between the callipers when I take the front wheel off, not sure I'd manage with 28's. But I do take the wheel off a lot, as in several times a week.
    Are you opening the caliper release lever before taking the wheel off/on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Inflate the tyres after you push them between the brakes. There is loads of room for 28's. You'd get mudguards in there as well.

Ah yeah, but that takes the 'quick' out of 'quick release'. It wouldn't be a problem for everyone but I need to take the wheel off fairly frequently and would wreck my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks again everyone. Might just go with the 28's anyway and if I'm not happy or have any fitting issues, will drop to 25.

The link is working for me: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ultra-gatorskin-road-tyre/

they are the only ones in 28 from Gatorskin on wiggle as far as I can see.

Still not quite sure which to order :o

There's a "set" with tubes for £48 here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ultra-gatorskin-road-tyre-and-tube-set/

compared to £21 for what appears to be just one tyre here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ultra-gatorskin-road-tyre/

both available in 28. I assume with the set you get 2 tyres, 2 tubes and with the other, you just get 1 tyre.

Both would be suitable for the use described I guess? Would the tubes be any more resistant than regular ones I wonder?

• Advertisement

little bump for the above query :o

Popped a mail off to Wiggle RE the above Q, but another important question I forgot...

The actual wheels that came with my Giant SCR3.0 are worth about €400 for the pair, would I be crazy to use these on the trail routes even with the Gatorskins and would it be better to get a cheaper paiir, or would it be fine and the tyres will absorb the rougher impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Popped a mail off to Wiggle RE the above Q, but another important question I forgot...

The actual wheels that came with my Giant SCR3.0 are worth about €400 for the pair, would I be crazy to use these on the trail routes even with the Gatorskins and would it be better to get a cheaper paiir, or would it be fine and the tyres will absorb the rougher impact?

Your current wheels should be fine, the main thing is wider tyres. If they are the stock wheels on a SCR3 no way are they worth €400 either; in fact it would be quite difficult to find cheaper wheels than the stock wheels on a SCR3. If they are aftermarket, I'd use them unless they were crazy light or otherwise showed evidence of not being the strongest.

Thanks blorg, they aren't stock, they are Ksyrium Mavic Elites I think, there is a sticker that says "Serie 6000 622x13" too.

Both would be suitable for the use described I guess?
    I'm probably in the minority but I'm not entirely sold on the lasting powers of Gatorskins.

If puncture resistance is your ultimate aim I would go for something a little tougher. But with toughness you lose speed and comfort(if there is sidewall protection). At the minute I have continental sports contacts on my bike for commuting and training. I can't notice any loss in speed and they are more puncture resistant than the Gatorskins.

I have had continental touring plus tyres on there, they are noticeably slower but they are very puncture resistant. I use them soley for touring now.

You will have to weigh up what you intend do with the bike or buy a few different types of tyre and change them as per your intended use. I may be wrong but I don't think rough trails would be fun on an SCR.
    Would the tubes be any more resistant than regular ones I wonder?
    No, the tubes will be standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've cycled off-road on slick-tyres road bikes a decent amount, mostly on rooty forest trails. It's great fun even on 23mm tyres.

The main problem is my Planet-X ultralight brakes clogging up with mud, but this doesn't happen on my wife's bike (Campag Veloce brakes).

Really rough roads are a different story. Judging by reports written by people doing that strada bianche sportive thing, those roads are not fun at all.

Thanks for the input guys. Given the amount of positive words for the Gatorskins, I'll probably just go with them, in 28's, for the first try. If I have problems with punctures and stuff, I'll try the Conti's. About to spend over €700 on Conti's for one of my vans, spend another €700 or so on the other van just a few weeks ago and I did my research with Conti's coming up trumps. A lot more expensive for van tyres though :D

Aghh, turns out the ones I wanted to order are no longer in stock or shipping to IRE.

Have been suggested these instead so: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorhardshell-road-tyre/

I get confused when there's so much selection, these are more expensive per tyre, so maybe are better, or maybe just have a different application and don't suit what I intended to use them for. This I don't know...

Also, any suggestions on a front and rear light set for less than €35 delivered?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Lumen wrote: »
    I've cycled off-road on slick-tyres road bikes a decent amount, mostly on rooty forest trails. It's great fun even on 23mm tyres.

I particularly enjoyed the expressions on the faces of riders on full sus bikes in Ticknock as you trundled down the lower MTB track on your "racer" :cool:

Have been suggested these instead so: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorhardshell-road-tyre/

I get confused when there's so much selection, these are more expensive per tyre, so maybe are better, or maybe just have a different application and don't suit what I intended to use them for. This I don't know...
    They are the new version of the Gatorskin. Supposed to be a bit more puncture resistant than the last type. No idea if that's true.

Cool thanks a lot Pete,

I actually got this mail back from Wiggle... anyone ever used them?
    I can confirm that all the GatorHardshell or Gatorskin tyres provide a high level of puncture protection.

However if you are looking for a tyre that will be suitable for cycle paths and trails I would recommend the below;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-london-wired-tyre/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-original-greenguard-rigid-road-city-tyre/

Due to the tread design these tyre would be more suitable for the conditions.

Just had a read of this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/636969-Schwalbe-Marathon-Plus-vs-Conti-Ultra-Gatorskins

and it seems the Schwalbe Marathon Plus are definitely the ones to go for if off road/trails are to be taken on so I'll be ordering a pair of them for sure :)

Advertisement