Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blowing Open Corsa off Pro-Lite rims - any ideas?

Options
  • 25-08-2018 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I’ve twice blown an Open Vittoria Corsa SL off a Pro-Lite rim with latex tubes. I seat it carefully and it looks ok at 100 lbs. But then it blew off the rim twice between that and the 145 lb. limit on the tyre. It wasn’t at the valve and I’ve had normal rubber? tubes on it without a problem. It’s getting expensive - any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Why are you pushing the tube/tyre much beyond 100lb psi? Unless you are weighing in around 100kg or more, you shouldnt need to,...
    I've never had any issues with the Open Corsa series - my favourite tyre by some margin - but I've never bother with latex tubes either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

The bead must be damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

The bead must be damaged

That seems to make sense. I checked the bead and rim where it blew and both seem ok. I guess it's hard to tell if the bead is damaged. Maybe I'll try another cheap tube and if it blows at the same spot then the tyre is toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

TGD wrote: »
    That seems to make sense. I checked the bead and rim where it blew and both seem ok. I guess it's hard to tell if the bead is damaged. Maybe I'll try another cheap tube and if it blows at the same spot then the tyre is toast.

I would also try the Coras with a butyl tyre.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I would also try the Coras with a butyl tyre.

Why would it blow with latex and not butyl? I had butyl in it for a long time and it didn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Why would it blow with latex and not butyl? I had butyl in it for a long time and it didn’t.

A few years ago, I had Schwalbe tyres on a bike, can't remember which model.
    I decided to try Continental Supersonic tubes with them, these tubes weigh about 50 grammes a piece(about the same as a latex tube). I was damned with them, the tyres kept blowing off the rims, both wheels. I must have blown about half a dozen tubes.
    I surrendered, but I reckon the lightness of the tubes had something to do with it.
    Maybe the latex tubes cause the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

The latex used in tubes is very thin and pliable. When pressurised it will seek out any tyre defect or nick and 'mould' it's way through to atmospheric pressure. Butyl tubes are thicker, harder and less pliable so do not get forced through small fissures in the tyre casing or bead. Just go back to butyl and you should avoid problems. I had a brief flirtation with latex tubes a few years ago. The last time I used them I had just fitted a spare latex tube while out on a spin. As I was inflating with CO2 I was horrified and mesmerised in equal measure to see a little green bubble of latex tube emerge from a small nick in the tyre thread, grow to the size of a golf ball before blowing with an almighty bang. Only took a couple of seconds but seemed to happen in Slow-mo. I'm a devotee of tubeless tyres for the past three years now and doubt I'll ever go back to tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rappid

Do not use latex tubes.
    This is what happened during last year West Cork Peaks Challenge.
    We were on the steep descent, my friend pulled the brakes, heats up the rims and BANG!
    Rear tire exploded and came off the rim, he was lucky, he managed to stay on the bike.
    One minute later, when we stopped, front tire exploded!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=459514
    attachment.php?attachmentid=459515
    attachment.php?attachmentid=459516

rappid wrote: »
    Do not use latex tubes.
    This is what happened during last year West Cork Peaks Challenge.
    We were on the steep descent, my friend pulled the brakes, heats up the rims and BANG!
    Rear tire exploded and came off the rim, he was lucky, he managed to stay on the bike.
    One minute later, when we stopped, front tire exploded!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=459514
    attachment.php?attachmentid=459515
    attachment.php?attachmentid=459516

Hmmm ... I think that's a different scenario - tyre burst as opposed to blowing off the rim. I don't think you can blame the tube for that. (I wonder was the brake block rubbing it).
    459514.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rappid

No brake block rubbing. It was latex tubes fault.
    No problem since he got back to standard tubes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement