Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your most memorable spin

Options
  • 21-08-2018 10:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭

probably my first spin of any length, would have been early 2002.
    i had just bought my first road bike - was reasonably fit from the work commute, but a chap i know called dave said 'you should come out on saturday morning with me and my mates, we do 20 or 25 miles, it's a social thing, give the new bike its first outing'. good stuff.
    so i arrived at the north circular road gate of the phoenix park at the appointed time, to meet dave, who was apologetic; the usual lads weren't going to make it, instead it was a bunch of his clubmates from the ravens who were going out for a decent spin, some of them were training for the ras.

so anyway, i went out without any tools or tubes - or food, thought it was going to be an hour spin - and got home 65 miles later. having fallen over in lucan after failing to unclip. and gone over the handlebars somewhere out leixlip or celbridge direction, after a car came around the bend in the middle of the road, and i braked a little too eagerly. and subsisted on food dave scavenged from his mates. i was mortified, but they all took it in good cheer.

i think i got home and slept for two hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭dahat

For me it was winning an A4 race last year as it was the first thing I'd won since a S. Tipp hurling medal at 16 years old.
    Good gallop and jumped off 3rd wheel to win a sprint in convincing fashion, felt like a superstar and never likely to repeat such a feat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Went to a stag in Sligo. Brought the bike. cycled home to Dublin the Sunday morning after 2 days of pints (most on the Friday thankfully) and feck all sleep. 220 km of absolute solitude. Met only a few dozen people all day. Found myselt saying hello to cattle and all sorts.

Plan on redoing it some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Mine was a commute. Probably doesn’t compete with the great stories above, but anyway... Having always cycled as a kid and into flatland bmx as a teenager, I suddenly found myself just shy of 19 stone leaving college, smoking 20 a day and fond of crap food and “the odd” pint. No idea how or why, but I decided one day I’d take my dads BSO and try cycling to work instead of sitting on a bus.

Incredibly daunting for a man of my stature, it was 12km and took me the guts of an hour. I didn’t stop sweating for about a fortnight afterwards, but that cycle was a complete revelation for me. My commute could go from 1.5hrs to 1hr.

It was a while before I sorted the diet but thankfully 19 stone is now 13 (still a struggle!) and the hour cycle is 25 mins. It was also 13 years and about 5 bikes ago, but it had such a massive impact on far more than just my commuting time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,452 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've won one road race in my life - IVCA race on Tuesday 15 May 2012 - the first I took part in after my mother died

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mine was day 5 of a Mizen to Malin in 2014. We cycled from Donegal town to Malin head via Buncrana and Candinagh that day which was around 135km and the feeling of reaching the top of Bambas Crown at Malin Head was just brilliant and something I will never forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Shay Elliot 2018. Made the main break in the big race which was my main early season goal. Over the top of Glenmalure getting a can of coke and an ice cold bottle as one of the leaders (although only just behind) on the road was a really proud moment. Died a death in Moneystown in the last 10/15 miles of the race but it was nice to be part of a big race steeped in history which I had watched from afar for years. really made me fall back in love with the sport i'd left behind for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

First time cycling back to Dublin from Laragh, up Glenmacnass and back over the Sally Gap. I was already fairly wrecked by Laragh so the return leg was a huge challenge, and the descent into the city felt amazing. Made me feel like no challenge was insurmountable with the right attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My most memorable ride is for all the wrong reasons. It was in September 2014 in The Alps and I'm not sure if I was having an off day but I seemed to bonk several times on the Col de L'Iseran.

I thought the torture would never end. The 1km marker signs in the last few kms to the summit seemed to be 5kms apart. To add insult to injury, I thought our hotel was at the bottom of the long descent only to discover it was 12kms up another mountain.

I was crying inside and came very close to fcuking the bike over a cliff. Finally reached the hotel in a very sorry state (way behind the rest of the group) and had to be carried into the bar for refreshments.

https://www.strava.com/activities/187496887

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

First time doing the Maratona in Italy, fell in love with that place in a big way, really realised for the first time that I'm not bad going up hills and love doing it, and the beauty that cycling puts you in touch with along with the freedom and soothing of the soul that it brings, is the true magic of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My most memorable ride is for all the wrong reasons.
    to be fair, you were 60% of the way to an everest in 10 hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

In the early 90s, I used to visit county councils as part of my work, travelling by bus & train.

Brought my bike on bus up to Longford with intention of cycling back.

Left the Council at about 6, it was a roasting hot evening in June.
    Theres a big drag out of Longford, I got to the top of it and began to seriously dounbt the wisdom of what I was doing, as I was shattered already. Being on the winter bike with heavy wheels and tyres etc didnt help either.

Went in to a shop to get a Coke and asked the woman if I was on the right road to Dublin, she asked if I was mad.

Anyway it was as headwind, and I was making very slow progress. Was wrecked as I got to Mullingar and was debating if I would go and get the train, but thought I would look like an eejit in lycra and shoes on the train so plugged on.
    Soon after I was overtaken by a big tractor pulling a trailer full of hay, I got stuck up behind it, the smell and hay blowing back in my face.

It was doing 20 mph and I reckon I got about 10 miles behind it, so that saved me.

Turned right in Kinnegad and the wind was side on, so it was no problem then after the maasive headwind.

Finally made it home at about 11.45.

It was horrible at the time, but as usual there was a great sense of achievement afterwards.

One of those epic spins you never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Has to be my first "long" cycle... Dublin to Rosslare back in the 80’s. We were well prepared...wearing jeans, tee shirt, and runners. I was riding my 5 speed, steel framed “Elswick Whirlwind” bike, complete with full length mudguards and “carrier” (aka a “Rack”). In my bag I had a change of clothes, sandwiches and probably a flask of coffee! :)

We planned to do the trip in two days. First day was Dublin to the hostel in Aghavannagh.

We left early and headed along the coast towards Bray. At Kilmacanogue, we turned right and headed for Laragh. This was the 80’s, so no phones or strava to guide us, so we were following the road signs. At Laragh we arrived at the right turn at the start of the Shay Elliott climb and the sign read “Aghavannagh 1” (back then that was 1 mile) so off we went. It was warm and sunny and when we arrived at the summit I tore down the other side. If you know this descent you’ll know there’s a humpback bridge just before the crossroads at Glenmalure. I didn’t at the time and I shot over that bridge and with the weight of the bag over the back wheel, the bike pitched upwards and only my for the rear mudguard catching something on the road, I also came off the bike!

We stopped at the bottom and we figured the sign was clearly incorrect and Aghavannagh must be just a little bit further along the road. So off went and started climbing Slieve mann! About 2/3’s of the way up we decided the sign must have been wrong, so we turned around and cycled back towards Laragh. When we got to the bottom of the Shay Elliott climd, we had another look at the road sign. Back then the road signs were white with black lettering and on closer inspection we noticed some little fecker had painted the zero white, so the sign should have read “Aghavannagh 10”! So we had to back over shay Elliott and Slieve Mann again. By the time I got to the summit of Slieve Mann I was shattered and I’ll never forget how happy I was to see that hostel !

We spent the night in Aghavannagh and the next morning cycled to Arklow, then onto Gorey , Wexford and finally Rosslare. Compared to the first day, the second days cycle was uneventful.

To this day, every time I take that right turn to start the Shay Elliott climb I watch out for that road sign, but it’s no longer there. Great memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Coast to Coast ride in the UK - from Newacastle upon Tyne to Whitehaven with a mate back in 2000.

We took our time (3 days riding - rest day in Carlisle) with fully loaded MTBs. You wouldn't take anything like that amount of stuff now. Was most unfit at the time as my whole life had taken a big turn (for the best) having just become a father and embarking on a new career.

Did 90 miles the first day, after having to ride back to the coast from our B&B (18 miles) because the train driver wouldn't let us on with our bikes. Damn hot day and got burnt alive, 2 pints 10 miles before the end though replenished me enough to get to our destination before the only restaurant shut in the village.

The days that followed were more relaxed and just took us away from the daily grind, brilliant.

Carlisle toilet train station graffiti was memorable too.

I've only be cycling one year, so not too many for me.

For me, it has to be either the sense of achievement last year in making it over Galilea in Majorca. the first serious climb I had done. or taking part in the Majorca 312 this year.

The memory of the start is something that will stay with me forever. Looking around as we exited the starting pens and seeing this mass of cyclists, gave me the impression that someone had just stamped on two massive toothpaste tubes full of cyclists and they were squirting everywhere.

Also seeing some nasty crashes after the first few kilometres was a bit of a wake up call as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

When my front wheel went into the Luas track on James’s st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Memorably Bad:
    27th July 2011 from Bourg d'Oisin to Guillestre on the Hospice Geneva to Nice Cycle. It started ok with a steady ascent of Lauteret in overcast conditions but deteriorated rapidly on the descent when the rain and cold arrived. 28km of shivering and shaking later I arrived into Briancon with blue lips and mild hypothermia. I had seriously considered turning around and climbing back up the mountain in order to warm up but was put off by the thought of having to come down again. Most of us decided to skip Izoard in the afternoon and opted for a relatively low-level cycle to Guillestre instead.

Memorably Good:
    The following day climbing the Col de Vars before lunch, and the Cime de Bonnette after, in perfect conditions. Highlights included marmott spotting, amazing scenery and dunking our heads in mountain streams to cool down. Beating the approaching rain back to the hotel in Auron was an added bonus although others weren't as fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Plenty of spins have been either physically or mentally memorable (sometimes both) but bringing my young lad out on his seat on the back of my bike while his grandad (my dad) is cycling along side us tops them all. The joy cycling brings all 3 of us together is fantastic to see. Hoping I can fit the younger one in a 2nd seat on the top tube or perhaps pick up a trailer within the next few months and get all 4 of us out for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

A few weeks ago when I thought I had won a Vets race only to discover the finish line had been moved up the road. That’s going to take years of expensive therapy to forget. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

2 years ago in Spain. Rented an apartment near Estepona. 1st morning after arriving, doing the climb to Casares through the village and back down to the coast road, stopping off for breakfast in Estepona, supping coffee and watching the world go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

2001 won my first club race, 50km handicapped. Had a 3 minute or so head start. Went out in 2nd group. Me and 1 other dropped the group and went for it after about 2km. He wasn't doing any work so on the last climb I put max effort in and dropped him all the while the fast group were in the distance. Time trialled it in to the finish and won by about 20m. Was thrilled, all the last group couldn't t believe I held out as they pushed hard in the last 5k to bridge the gap.

Edit I was with a girl from Dublin who came up to donegal to meet the parents, maybe it was the fact I left her to go racing made me that bit faster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

my first spin on my first (and current) bike

about 4 years ago there was a beginners group set up here by BikerBhoy (not sure he's going by that name now) with the aim of creating a welcoming introduction to group cycling etc. (which it was)

I spun over to them from D7 and met them in Dundrum (holy sh!t did I just cycle from the Northside to the South!) - we ended up down around Rathdrum - no food with me, bottle of lucozade in my cage - by the time I got home I'd done 120K, about twice the distance I had expected - I felt like my life's force had gone from my body, I lay flat on my back on the bed like a star fish for about 2 hours staring blankly at the ceiling. Couldn't believe what I'd just done! Can't remember anyone's names at this stage but it was a really positive experience, lots of knowledge shared and raised my expectations of this cycling thing was all about

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

taking a bunch of people out on an 'introduction to cycling' and doing 120k is what my german colleagues would refer to as a deep dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

After several years of being a fat bastard I dusted off my hybrid and went for a spin down the canal. It started pissing rain 10 minutes in, and I only cycled about 3km, but it was enough to make me remember just how much I loved cycling. Got myself a road bike a few weeks later and the rest, as they say, is history. Three years later I'm down to a healthier 76 kilos and spending more than I should on bike stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

I'll go for the most memorable part of a spin :
    Doing the Mizen to Malin solo and nearly falling asleep on a small back road, the rain was coming into my face 24 hrs in.
    I noticed I was taking longer to blink so relized I was falling asleep, turning over the options of using the black bags I carried for a sleeping bag with the possibility of a farmer finding me and shooting me /a rat eating my face I pushed on through the rain.
    I turned my LED flashing joggers strap on my arm so it flashed into my face and eventually came onto a road with a decent clearance to the side , the sun coming up and the rain stopped.
    I was brand new.

Other notible exception was taking energy gels and ibuprofen in sequence to finish Dublin - Galway - Dublin so I would finish in the same day, rather than it ticking over to the next.
    I still think of it as my "What would Lance do moment"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Doing the "Raid Pyrenean" in July 2012 with nine other Boardsies and two gentlemen who supported us in a Camper van all the way round.
    Bucketlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Doing Tourmalet, Soulor and Aubisque in one day, on Touring bikes, with panniers. Did this route, 100Km took us about 14 hours in total with stops for food, photos etc.
    This is the route: https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/42.9836438,0.2278953/Col+du+Tourmalet,+France/Col+d'Aubisque,+64440+B%C3%A9ost,+France/Laruns/@43.0185951,-0.2429663,10z/data=!4m21!4m20!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a8232c2337291f:0xa8f743ee7c738c44!2m2!1d0.1862736!2d42.9148946!1m5!1m1!1s0xd57b9010a53b9bb:0xc74075001146b056!2m2!1d-0.3396728!2d42.9765697!1m5!1m1!1s0xd57bae8383e76eb:0x154c1047e50732fa!2m2!1d-0.426274!2d42.987644!3e0

Here's a video of the descent from Soulor, turn the volume down and the volume up on the 2nd video to get an idea of the exhilaration of descending it.

Advertisement