Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 04:23   #16
dacogawa

It will be around 12/24 months + before we remotely trust the GRAF, if ever. It needs to run through the seasons and be right a lot, we don't even trust the ECM & GFS properly and they've outputted thousands of charts.

It could be something amazing and hopefully it will (if we can even view it publicly) and many other new forecasts will come along.

At the momen I'm a little bit sceptical, but I am hopeful too!
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 08:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
I hope it doesn’t become publicly accessible just for the sake of the thoughts of it coming in the hands of hypers on forums like Netweather. It’s bad enough as it is.
They’d never sleep
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 20:58   #18
circadian

Many moons ago, I worked in the office above D-Wave in Vancouver. Any time I spoke to the lads they always said weather forecasting was the industry they saw the biggest potential for quantum computing.
12-01-2019, 22:26   #19
pistolpetes11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
Without knowing if there were slides previous to that one, I see they conveniently left out the fact that the ECMWF is down to 9-km resolution. Not able to answer basic questions. It's an idea in its infancy stage, unproven as yet but still being marketed as the dog's ball locks. I see the same in my line of work. Unfounded claims of greatness.

And for that reason, I'm OUT!
Yeah there were loads of slides/ video , like most of these shows it seemed most on the front line were only really there to bat a few questions , you could speak to some higher ups if they thought you may be a customer.
12-01-2019, 22:49   #20
MrDerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpetes11 View Post
Yeah there were loads of slides/ video , like most of these shows it seemed most on the front line were only really there to bat a few questions , you could speak to some higher ups if they thought you may be a customer.
I was an IBMer in a past life. Anything shown at CES is just a brand/marketing exercise and I wouldn’t expect a theorist at these desks. If you want tech data pay 3.5k and go to the annual IBM conference. These services will be sold to big oil and (re)insurers via the weather company and a shed load of consultants.

I happen to know a bit about this from before I left. The target is building level liability information and having near real-time risk information, presumably to trade in risk offset.

They don’t care about the weather in your garden so much as getting more granular data for your area about how lower res patterns affect the gaffs, businesses and farms on your local road.

Micro level risk adjustment is the goal, and understanding at longer ranges when to shut a production facility to avoid loss etc
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion