Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

kala85 wrote: »
    Will the rte player work on this

You need last may version from apk and mouse toggle. Works grand if you know what you want to watch, not great for browsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

kala85 wrote: »
    Will the rte player work on this

Does it work on anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

northknife wrote: »
    £29.99 on Amazon this morning.

THANK YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

I only checked on Amazon after I checked here first to see if there was anyone who had checked on Amazon and had posted lower price here :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does 4k take up a huge amount of bandwidth? isn't there current restrictions in place with people working from home??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

fryup wrote: »
    does 4k take up a huge amount of bandwidth?

No.
    isn't there current restrictions in place with people working from home??

Not that I've seen. Still able to watch in Dolby Vision and 4K HDR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I see Curry's Irish site is still charging 59.99 no reduction in line with the co.uk site

Why not just order from Amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Soarer wrote: »
    Why not just order from Amazon?

I'm good, but the buddy ordered one on Wednesday from Curry's , I've told him to return and order from Amazon, up to him if he does or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

does 4k take up a huge amount of bandwidth? isn't there current restrictions in place with people working from home??

Bandwidth restrictions are controlled by source and network providers. The Firestick has the capacity to use increased bandwidth but will not control the restrictions if implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Folks can someone tell me how to get the BBC iplayer working ? I though I seen it on here somewhere but can't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Folks can someone tell me how to get the BBC iplayer working ? I though I seen it on here somewhere but can't find it.

VPN or smart DNS is required as far as I remember

Enter BBC in the search bar at the top of this thread and you will find the references to the BBC player. There have been varying degrees of success. As above vpn or smart dns.
    I had it on surfshark for one hour but, lost it and unable to retrieve it. So good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

How are you guys ordering from Amazon. Tried to order there and wouldn't pay to ROI. It's for my mum. I have UK address I can send things to but she's in ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

jkbah wrote: »
    How are you guys ordering from Amazon. Tried to order there and wouldn't pay to ROI. It's for my mum. I have UK address I can send things to but she's in ROI

Parcel Motel for delivery. Used revolut to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Can anyone recommend apps for the Fire Stick? I have Netflix, and youtube, but agree with a poster there that said Amazon Prime video is not great, so don't have that one. Are there any other ones that are worth getting? Thanks.
    pm me and i'll tell you how to set them up for access to all the tv shows and movies for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭The Mulk

puddles22 wrote: »
    pm me and i'll tell you how to set them up for access to all the tv shows and movies for free

I'll PM you to if you don't mind, something to keep me busy

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Would it be ok to pm you about this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks, anyone having issues with this the last few days? YouTube isn't working for me, nor will it load my photos as a screensaver. Everything else works fine.

Sorted, I think ExpressVPN was causing the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

TheDriver wrote: »
    You need last may version from apk and mouse toggle. Works grand if you know what you want to watch, not great for browsing.
    Version 1.01 works OK without mouse toggle, browsing's fine as well. :)

And no ads! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Folks, anyone having issues with this the last few days? YouTube isn't working for me, nor will it load my photos as a screensaver. Everything else works fine.

Sorted, I think ExpressVPN was causing the issue.

that's interesting...torn between that and another vpn
    may have to avoid that one now

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Poolboy19

Open Firefox browser after starting uk VPN, search for BBC iPlayer in Firefox, login and it should work. Has been for me a while, a bit of a pain compared to opening the iPlayer app but needs must..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

It's 29.99 now on Amazon again. That £5 offer might still work too for some people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

mailburner wrote: »
    that's interesting...torn between that and another vpn
    may have to avoid that one now

It does seem to cause one or two issues periodically but when you turn it off and back on, everything works as it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭freebee23

Hi puddles 22, would you mind if I sent you a pm about this. Cheers, freebee23

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Poolboy19 wrote: »
    Open Firefox browser after starting uk VPN, search for BBC iPlayer in Firefox, login and it should work. Has been for me a while, a bit of a pain compared to opening the iPlayer app but needs must..

Are you plugging the firestick into your laptop to get it working on your TV?. Am afraid I need more info...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Are you plugging the firestick into your laptop to get it working on your TV?. Am afraid I need more info...

Download Firefox on the Firestick from the app store and do it that way.

I think if you switch your VPN to UK you can get BBC iPlayer from the Amazon app store anyway and just use it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I have a first generation Fire Stick with Fire Starter installed which I rarely used and havent used in years as I didn't like the interface or performance.
    Would the 4k Fire Stick be a big improvement on that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Zardoz wrote: »
    I have a first generation Fire Stick with Fire Starter installed which I rarely used and havent used in years as I didn't like the interface or performance.
    Would the 4k Fire Stick be a big improvement on that ?
    night and day difference in terms of performance

Getting mine via Parcel Motel today.
    I'll go through this & other threads but anyone have a summary of getting started besides the obvious please?
    I've never used VPN, any advice on that as well please?

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    Getting mine via Parcel Motel today.
    I'll go through this & other threads but anyone have a summary of getting started besides the obvious please?
    I've never used VPN, any advice on that as well please?

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

What are you looking to use the firestick for?

VPN or Smart DNS are only required for iplayer & such. They are not required for prime video UK.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What are you looking to use the firestick for?

VPN or Smart DNS are only required for iplayer & such. They are not required for prime video UK.

Plan to use it for watching Disney+, sports (when back), Netflix, films etc.
    The only reason I mentioned VPN was someone mentioned recently that you can then use BBC iplayer and similar. Presuming that allows you to watch/catchup on shows that have already been on sounds good.

I'm with Eir (mobile & broadband) so have the free Amazon Prime for a year. Can I watch through the Firestick or still need to cast via my phone?

dinneenp wrote:
    I'm with Eir (mobile & broadband) so have the free Amazon Prime for a year. Can I watch through the Firestick or still need to cast via my phone?

You should be able to use Firestick. It has the prime video app so Irish or UK prime video will work.

Getflix DNS is probably the best & cheapest option for iplayer

dinneenp wrote: »
    Plan to use it for watching Disney+, sports (when back), Netflix, films etc.
    The only reason I mentioned VPN was someone mentioned recently that you can then use BBC iplayer and similar. Presuming that allows you to watch/catchup on shows that have already been on sounds good.

Youdon't need a VPN for any of that. Just download the relevant apps, login as normal, and away you go.

VPN will be required for BBC iPlayer.

Prime through Eir might be a problem. Don't know if you can get the UK version of Prime through Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

Hi. Just bought one of these.
    Do the apps come pre loaded on the stick or do I have to install them?
    Specifically, Netflix Spotify youtube etc

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Just got one of these. It works great. However I have a number of months of nowtv passes. Has anyone been able to use nowtv with the firestick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

urranger wrote: »
    Hi. Just bought one of these.
    Do the apps come pre loaded on the stick or do I have to install them?
    Specifically, Netflix Spotify youtube etc

Most are preloaded, just log in.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Would anyone who has got this recomend the device to be hardwired to the router or does it work well without having to do that?
    Thanks

Unregistered Users

It's highly recommended that only portable equipment (like laptops, phones, tablets) should be using wi-fi. All the rest wired. So, in brief, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

And could anyone recommend a lead to hardwire this device?
    Thanks

You'd have to buy an ethernet adaptor like this one.
    Adds 50% on to the total.

Would anyone who has got this recomend the device to be hardwired to the router or does it work well without having to do that?
    Thanks

It works fine on WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Adds 50% on to the total.

Those adapters are a ridiculous price.

Its a big flaw not having an ethernet port or an extra usb port on the stick.

I've had issues in a few rooms in the house where the wifi is poor .

Unregistered Users

[...]

Expected in stock by 18th of April. :)

I bought unbranded one off ebay, works 100%.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/362787713148

Have you tried repositioning your router?
    You can buy a WiFi range extender for much less.P and gives greater flexibilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cerco wrote: »
    It works fine on WiFi.

Mine works perfectly fine on WiFi also, mind you I'm only streaming 1080p on it in another room...

joujoujou wrote: »

That’s a good find joujou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

The Ethernet card on it only supports 100mb so it's not 4k suitable afaik.
    It's why it doesn't have a port by default. Loads of people complaining that they don't get 4k and the root cause is they're using lan for "faster" connections when in fact it's slower.
    If you have bad wifi in areas of the house buy a WiFi range extender or booster for the few quid extra and all your devices will work on it.
    I picked up an extender 10 years ago for 15 quid and welll worth it (although it hasn't been used in 2 years now since the new broadband router covers the entire house)
    I would look for speeds of 300mb/s nowadays to support 4k or a few devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

joujoujou wrote: »

It says in the notes that it's not compatible with the 4k
    Please note: not compatible with first Gen sticks, Firestick 4K or Roku devices
    Just want to double check before I buy, thanks

kenyard wrote: »
    The Ethernet card on it only supports 100mb so it's not 4k suitable afaik.
    It's why it doesn't have a port by default. Loads of people complaining that they don't get 4k and the root cause is they're using lan for "faster" connections when in fact it's slower.
    If you have bad wifi in areas of the house buy a WiFi range extender or booster for the few quid extra and all your devices will work on it.
    I picked up an extender 10 years ago for 15 quid and welll worth it (although it hasn't been used in 2 years now since the new broadband router covers the entire house)
    I would look for speeds of 300mb/s nowadays to support 4k or a few devices.

Can someone point me in the direction of an extender/booster that can do both a 2.4 & 5GHz network at the same time?
    My Sky router does both, and have devices that run on each.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement