Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Hey Buddy'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm not your horse, pilgrim.

Don’t call me pilgrim, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Don’t call me pilgrim, man.

Did you just assume my gender, buddy?

You're not wrong in this instance. "Pal" & "dude" are other common epithets utilised by the passive aggressive individual.

Ah here.

I call people buddy or dude all the time. Buddy is for someone you vaguely know, but seems sound; dude is for someone around your age who you might or might not know well.

"Pal" is definitely passive aggressive, as is "chief", "big man" or "youssir".

I don't make the rules, I just follow them, youssir.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

He doesnt remember your name. Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

In short, I find it patronising.

Aw, that's a big word. Well done, buddy. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, generally, if someone calls me 'buddy' or 'pal' I'd be inclined to stick them a headbutt.. I wouldn't like..but I'd be that way inclined..It'd cross my mind like..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Ah here.

I call people buddy or dude all the time. Buddy is for someone you vaguely know, but seems sound; dude is for someone around your age who you might or might not know well.

"Pal" is definitely passive aggressive, as is "chief", "big man" or "youssir".

I don't make the rules, I just follow them, youssir.

Dude is horrible, please stop using it, not for you but for the people around you that are too embarrassed to tell you how cringeworthy calling someone dude is.

You’re welcome.

I call people 'dude' the whole time..

Poorside wrote: »
    Dude is horrible, please stop using it, not for you but for the people around you that are too embarrassed to tell you how cringeworthy calling someone dude is.

You’re welcome.
    But they call me dude back. It is an Americanism, of course, you can't say dude in your best Midlands accent, and not be aware of that. It's a bit like people who call their other half Bae. You're being affectionate but slightly ironic

No?

Well I tried. Whatever dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

Is he Canadian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

Blame Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Is he from Doobalin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I wouldn’t read too much into it, lad. Be like how that Wibbs dude takes your username and uses its initials when quoting you. No malice meant or implied. I use buddy, dude, and pal all the time, and I’m a dead sound sort of skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Love a POM thread. Just to see what he'll come out with next.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Hmmm... Have you been watching The Cable Guy?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

I kind of feel like youre reading into this way too much, he likely calls everybody buddy and doesnt actually think youre best buds, he's probably just being friendly. Does he give you any other reason to think that he thinks you are currently or where previously best mates? Like does he message you all the time or keep asking you to meet up? If he's not behaving oddly then I really think its more your problem than his.
    I don't think he think we're best buds. The issue is that it's condescending.

Poorside wrote: »

You’re welcome.
    That's why I called the guy who made remarks about my sparkling water, dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

You're not wrong in this instance. "Pal" & "dude" are other common epithets utilised by the passive aggressive individual.

Buddy isn’t. It’s perfectly normal.

That's why I called the guy who made remarks about my sparkling water, dude.
    Genuine question: between the radio issue in work, being annoyed about telling someone the time, HR issues, the 'dude' thing, and so on and so on, would you say you have a lot of conflict and/or confrontation in your life?

I wouldn’t read too much into it, lad. Be like how that Wibbs dude takes your username and uses its initials when quoting you.
    That is a terrible comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

That is a terrible comparison!

That’s true P

‘Good man’ and ‘chief’ irritate me too

Yes, but I don't mind when John Creedon or Ronan Collins say it. If, however, Ryan Tubridy said it, you can be sure he's talking down to you.

I've never heard chief.

What about hombre or pilgrim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

"Amigo," as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Try not to worry about it, squire.

No, they’re grand

Try not to worry about it, squire.

I never do, compadre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

yakunt is much more genuine and Irish than buddy, dude or mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Maybe he doesnt remember your name.

I know someone that used to say my auld china / my auld flower to people when he met someone and couldnt remember their name

Advertisement