Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pretending to look at your phone

Options
  • 23-02-2020 11:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 38

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but a conversation needs to be had about this. You know that moment when you enter the break room at work, and everybody has their head in their phone?

I never made a point in pretending to look at my phone until one day I noticed something. It was a day that I was in the break room with another person, and by coincidence I happened to be on my phone, which would've be rare for me. After a few minutes, I looked up and the other fella apposite me was just chilling out drinking his tea. But apart from drinking his tea he was, as such, unoccupied. Now I'm not saying this made him seem creepy, but let's just say he didn't exactly seem the coolest at the time. It made me think about how I might come across to others when there's not many in the room, and I'm the one who's not on their phone... just sitting there eating.

What do they all be looking at anyway? Okay maybe they do have things to look at, but what do they do once they've seen all the latest stupid posts from their friends? They keep the end down, that's what. And mean while the person at the other side of the table has also seen all their friends updates after a few minutes too. There might be 20 minutes left of break time, and it will remain as silence because one person thinks the other is busy, and they themselves want to be seen as busy too so that they won't look odd. Isn't this really what going on with most people. Before you could strike up a conversation with someone without looking less cool than them.

You know how you can tell that they're never interested in what they're looking at? It's because if you start having a average conversation with someone else in the room, the person on their phone will always drop it and join in. Ever notice that? It's funny how the best chats I have at work these days are out on the shop floor. Ironically when I meet the same person in the canteen later, it's often dead quite. Sadly when I'm in the break room, I make sure to get out the phone and pretend to be looking at it while I eat. Sometimes i can think of a few things that I can do on it, but mostly I'm just pretending. And when I'm pretending, the screen keeps going dim because it's not being touched. I think I'll need to practice it!

Do you pretend to look at your phone? Answer honestly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

How do you spend so much time writing all that

• Site Banned Posts: 38 Premeditated Joke

Rufeo wrote: »
    How do you spend so much time writing all that
    how did you read it so fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Hmmm what?

Sorry, I didn't quite catch that. I was busy feigning indifference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but you know that moment when you enter the canteen or break room at work, and everybody has their head in their phone?

I never made a point in pretending to look at my phone until one day I noticed something. It was a day that I was in the break room with another person, and by coincidence I happened to be on my phone, which would've be rare for me. After a few minutes, I looked up and the other fella apposite me was just chilling out drinking his tea. But apart from drinking his tea he was, as such, unoccupied. I'm not saying this made him seem creepy, but let's just say he didn't exactly seem the coolest. It made me think about how I might come across to others when there's not many in the room, and it looks like I'm just sitting there eating.

It's funny how the best chats I have at work these days are out on the shop floor. Ironically when I meet the same person in the canteen later, it's often dead quite. Sadly when I'm in the break room, I make sure to get out the phone and pretend to be looking at it while I eat. Sometimes i can think of a few things that I can do on it, but mostly I'm just pretending. And when I'm pretending, the screen keeps going dim.

What do they all be looking at anyway? Okay maybe they do have things to look at, but what do they do once they've seen all the latest stupid posts from their friends? They keep the end down, that's what. And mean while the person at the other side of the table has also seen all their friends updates after a few minutes too. There might be 20 minutes left of break time, and it will remain as silence because one person thinks the other is busy, and they themselves want to be seen as busy too so that they won't look odd. Isn't this really what going on with most people. Before you could strike up a conversation with someone without looking less cool than them.

You know how you can tell that they're never interested in what they're looking at? It's because if you start having a average conversation with someone else in the room, they always drop the phone and join in. I never liked to doing two things at the once anyway when it came to eating and looking at my phone. I think I don't enjoy my food as much otherwise.

You really should have kept this for a book. It’d be a best seller. Content like this is too good to give away for free. Delete it and link to your blog and charge for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just buy the Irish Times and pretend to read it.
    They'll all think you are an intellectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Long since given up the habit of "I have nothing to do for 3 minutes, need to look at phone"

It's actually close to pleasurable sometimes, eating lunch like a Lord surveying everyone else with their heads bowed down.

Or on transport, or in a queue, anywhere!

It's an almost surreal sense of freedom to look at others unable to have a single minutes peace to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

To be honest, people stare at their phones too much. When in town, I always see people with headphones in and staring at theirs. Oblivious to what's going on around them. That is why I still keep my trusty Nokia 3310,to keep me away from all that temptation,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is this a standard work place or a sponsored one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

TL;DR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

jaxxx wrote: »
    TL;DR

TS;DR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You really should have kept this for a book. It’d be a best seller. Content like this is too good to give away for free. Delete it and link to your blog and charge for it.

Don’t give up the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've never done it

That is why I still keep my trusty Nokia 3310,to keep me away from all that temptation,heh.
    I don't even find it to be that tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Don’t give up the day job.

Why would I? I’ve bills to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Everyones stupid, smart comments..

That is whats wrong with the world right now.

Yes, I hear you OP. Often walk into the canteen in work and it's like aload of zombies, all pretending to be busy on their phone, to avoid looking awkward staring into space, or avoiding going out of their way to talk to people.

Pity the world is like this nowadays.. quite sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yes, I hear you OP. Often walk into the canteen in work and it's like aload of zombies, all pretending to be busy on their phone, to avoid looking awkward staring into space, or avoiding going out of their way to talk to people.

It's really not imo.

cjmc wrote: »
    It's really not imo.
    Not even a little?

Often walk into the canteen in work and it's like aload of zombies
    You nailed it.

cjmc wrote: »
    It's really not imo.

Yeah right.

• Advertisement

You nailed it.

Hilarious, very cool of you to pretend it's normal for people in every social situation to have their heads buried in their phones to avoid making conversation or similar.

Hmmm what?
    Wittiest put down I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I pretend to be writing something.

• Site Banned Posts: 26 shadydestroyer

There's a few people i get on with in work and chat away but then there's some I wouldn't even bother say to hello or attempt to have a conversation with. If they try to talk to me I just nod.

The high horse types that I just have no time for and the types that work means everything to them and would try throw you under a bus if the opportunity arises and would lick some of the heady guys Arses clean after taking a ****e.

I have no interest in talking to you so please don't try and make conversation with me cause I have no interest.

I often grunted and roll eyed at one or two of em as well when they attempted to talk to me.

but then there's some I wouldn't even bother say to hello or attempt to have a conversation with.
    So do you think they're stuck up or do they think you're stuck up?

Wittiest put down I've ever heard.

Wasn’t a put down at all. Why not enjoy your breaks for what they are and not be second guessing what other people are doing.

• Site Banned Posts: 26 shadydestroyer

So do you think they're stuck up or do they think you're stuck up?

No there stuck up, I enjoy the craic, not someone who's up their own hole.

Wasn’t a put down at all. Why not enjoy your breaks for what they are and not be second guessing what other people are doing.
    Why try and shut down the discussion? What your beef here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The op made a short story long which was their downfall as many posters couldn't arsed reading it.

• Advertisement

Why try and shut down the discussion? What your beef here?

Again running away with your opinions

Advertisement