Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deaths of health workers from melanoma and other forms of cancer.

Options
  • 22-02-2020 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

This doctor died from the type of cancer that she was researching.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7875781/Doctor-39-dies-type-skin-cancer-spent-life-researching.html

I'm aware of another case in which an Irish nurse died of melanoma in Australia.

To be honest, I assumed that doctors and nurses, given they probably have a better understanding of their own health than many laypeople have of their own health, would be more likely to have an inkling at an earlier stage that they have cancer - a medical equivalent of a police detective's 'gut instinct'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Health workers aren't immune to cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7875781/Doctor-39-dies-type-skin-cancer-spent-life-researching.html

I'm aware of another case in which an Irish nurse died of melanoma in Australia.

To be honest, I assumed that doctors and nurses, given they probably have a better understanding of their own health than many laypeople have of their own health, would be more likely to have an inkling at an earlier stage that they have cancer - a medical equivalent of a police detective's 'gut instinct'.

Doesn't matter how early you detect some cancers nothing will save you. Others can be caught late and people survive. Cancer is a catch all for hundreds of different diseases that relate to abnormal cell growth but in fact vary wildly as do the treatments available to each type. Some curable, some incurable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone dying from melanoma in Australia is not in any way notable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,518 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Correlation =/= Causation.

However, given certain people having a genetic predisposition to certain cancers, it would not be at all surprising if a family history of cancer may have been the inspiration for pursuing a medical research career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Some cancers creep up on people. With melanoma, the mole could be in a part of the body that they couldn’t see. It’s a particularly insidious form of cancer because the mole can be quite small but deep. And some cancers start to spread before any symptoms show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You assume wrongly. It's actually quite an absurd notion. Nobody is immune to cancer. Not all cancers have early warning signs and not all are curable. You failed to mention that she did in fact notice the mole early on, got a diagnosis and underwent two forms of treatment that were unsuccessful. What more do you think she could have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm an electrician and have managed to give myself a few electric shocks over the years, generally in fact its been my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Indirectly related. My father currently receiving treatment for basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer) - on his lungs. He was diagnosed last year by one of the top oncologists in St Vincent’s. Very very rareform of cancer. As an experienced oncologist and Professor, he had heard that this could happening but had never come across it. Very treatable apparently, tablets, no cemo or radiotherapy but the tablets have had severe negative impact, both physically and mentally, and there is no indication if these tablets are for rest of his life. On the plus side, they do seem to be doing what they are meant to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Health workers aren't immune to cancer.

I never said they were.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You assume wrongly. It's actually quite an absurd notion. Nobody is immune to cancer. Not all cancers have early warning signs and not all are curable. You failed to mention that she did in fact notice the mole early on, got a diagnosis and underwent two forms of treatment that were unsuccessful. What more do you think she could have done?

Haven't you heard of intuition or someone 'having a hunch' about something?! You must have! It's like a cop saying, "I just know that Mr X committed that murder".

• Advertisement

Haven't you heard of intuition or someone 'having a hunch' about something?! You must have! It's like a cop saying, "I just know that Mr X committed that murder".

In relation to medical diagnosis? Ridiculous assertion.

Again, what could that unfortunate doctor have done differently?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    In relation to medical diagnosis? Ridiculous assertion.

Again, what could that unfortunate doctor have done differently?

Nothing.

I find it hard to take in that cancer could grow that fast - it doesn't just come out of nowhere.

It was an analogy on my part - not an assertion. After all, medical diagnosis involves an element of investigating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Nothing.

I find it hard to take in that cancer could grow that fast - it doesn't just come out of nowhere.

It was an analogy on my part - not an assertion. After all, medical diagnosis involves an element of investigating.

Well this might disturb you but many cancers can spread before they are detected and there might be no symptoms or very mild ones that can be mistaken for less serious ailments. You might find it hard to take but that’s the reality for many people especially if they are too young to qualify for screening.

Nothing.

My brother died of cancer at the age of 41. He died five weeks after diagnosis and had no symptoms up to a week before that. So you can lose your misinformed image of how cancer behaves.

Advertisement