Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Travellers feud Templemore

• 07-12-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

TippFM wrote:
    The lack of Garda personnel in Templemore is being highlighted in the wake of a brawl in the town earlier this week.

Many videos have appeared on social media of the fight involving members of the Traveller community on the Square in the town.

A number of arrests have been made since with some of those appearing in court.

Local Councillor Eddie Moran condemned the public violence on Tipp Today earlier

He says that the issue highlights the lack of Gardai available to the district.

Traveller gangs attacking other travellers families brandishing knifes, billhooks and baseball bats. Roscrea based travellers are feuding with two Templemore traveller families over drugs and horses.

This is not the first time this has happened in Templemore. It’s been happening for years, fighting in Main Street. Literally outside the door of the Garda station and ironically in a town where members of AGS are trained. Templemore Garda station these days is often without patrol cars and unstaffed at times.

Templemore Garda district was merged with Thurles and Nenagh (Roscrea) for alleviation to the shortage of patrol cars.

High mileage diesel avensis and Ford Mondeo were taken off Templemore and given to Thurles.

These cars were later withdrawn weeks later. The Thurles divisional HQ is still down at least 12 patrol cars since 2009. Nenagh around 7. The majority of patrol cars based in these towns are used by the Roads Policing unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

You know an awful lots about patrol cars.

Gardaí employing a hands-off approach to the "cultured" denizens of our country. Easier to meet speeding quotas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

This is definately not the 1st incident in Templemore. The fire engine was on their way to an incident and was lucky not to hit one of them
    A few months back I was waiting in the Doctor one morning and this old lady was bought in with a bloodied face. She was on her way to 10am mass and popped into the graveyard to visit her husbands grave along the way. Dogs from the local residents at the graveyard went after her and nothing done about it. They are a law onto themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

You mean the fire engine was unlucky not to hit them.

Lucky for the fire engine. Imgine the hassle they would have found themselves in with investigations etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Let the gardai recruits just in. Tell them to break out the riot and ..... let them behave like travellers at a wedding only with riot gear and let them use the nearly out of date CS gas and surplus baton rounds rejected by the RUC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Mariana Mammoth Sunglasses

I cant wait for Pavee Points response to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I’m with you on this. There will be no response. They won’t even be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Having being involved in a few of these fights, you'd need at least 3 Gardai for every traveller. It's absolute madness in these brawls, i'm pretty sure they end up hurting their own side in the middle of it. Takes serious balls to jump into the middle of a group of travellers fighting with knives, hooks and anything else they can get their hands on. Pepper spray? ASP? Psh, not much good against a sharp blade which could come from any direction.

I have a final solution for them, but it may not be taken up very well. It would 100% resolve all issues around the traveller community though. justsayin#

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Don't hold your breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

One of the individuals involved in this committed a theft on another traveller family in my part of Thurles recently.

The family lives up the road from me in a tiny 2 bed council house with 3 children (2 boys and a girl) they are settled and law abiding. All their children go to the local school and participate in the local GAA.

The property (GoKart) was retrieved later that day, but a few days later a whole gang of them came out in vans and beat him up and assaulted his pregnant wife.

The Garda car and ambulance arrived hours later and nothing is happening regards prosecution of these scumbags.

There’ll be people coming on here in the next few days either defending these scumbags or tarring all travellers with the same brush and the thread will get out of hand and no doubt be locked.

What I say to both sides of the debate is that the decent law abiding travellers who go about their lives and cause no harm to anyone get it just as bad/worse than non travellers. Doing nothing about this behaviour is in almost discriminatory in itself to decent travellers, they have absolutely no one to advocate for them. These are normally the ones who don’t sponge off charities or look for extra handouts. Whilst Sinn Fein/AAA/PBP etc were behind the likes of Cash, these travellers are living in poverty and overcrowded accommodation.

One of these Templemore families relations drives around in a 162 Audi and yet is first to the door at SVP food banks on a Monday. Drives into the Intreo/DSP centre to sign on etc. Where are the CAB/Revenue to investigate this? Maserati cars in social housing etc.

Some families have total impunity. Just proves that we have no real police service in this country, just traffic wardens with cars giving out tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

One of the individuals involved in this committed a theft on another traveller family in my part of Thurles recently.

The family lives up the road from me in a tiny 2 bed council house with 3 children (2 boys and a girl) they are settled and law abiding. All their children go to the local school and participate in the local GAA.

The property (GoKart) was retrieved later that day, but a few days later a whole gang of them came out in vans and beat him up and assaulted his pregnant wife.

The Garda car and ambulance arrived hours later and nothing is happening regards prosecution of these scumbags.

There’ll be people coming on here in the next few days either defending these scumbags or tarring all travellers with the same brush and the thread will get out of hand and no doubt be locked.

What I say to both sides of the debate is that the decent law abiding travellers who go about their lives and cause no harm to anyone get it just as bad/worse than non travellers. Doing nothing about this behaviour is in almost discriminatory in itself to decent travellers, they have absolutely no one to advocate for them. These are normally the ones who don’t sponge off charities or look for extra handouts. Whilst Sinn Fein/AAA/PBP etc were behind the likes of Cash, these travellers are living in poverty and overcrowded accommodation.

One of these Templemore families relations drives around in a 162 Audi and yet is first to the door at SVP food banks on a Monday. Drives into the Intreo/DSP centre to sign on etc. Where are the CAB/Revenue to investigate this? Maserati cars in social housing etc.

Some families have total impunity. Just proves that we have no real police service in this country, just traffic wardens with cars giving out tickets.

I don't tar all travellers with the same brush but it is hard not to when the law abiding group seldom come out to condemn those causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They've been the scurge of so many a midland town. And now we hear the degenerates have special ethic status.

They're a solid disgrace to this country.

Just proves that we have no real police service in this country, just traffic wardens with cars giving out tickets.

You were doing well until this sentence. You give out about people tarring all travellers with the same brush, and then make such a sweeping statement... Do you know, for a fact, this family have actually made statements of complaint? That they're willing to follow it to court and give evidence? My experience with travellers is that they're not willing to follow it. Even those who do make statements usually end up withdrawing before or during court, or just don't turn up to give evidence. They want to sort it themselves, and that's the running theme of crime investigation involving traveller on traveller crime. Source? 9 years investigating the likes of this crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What I say to both sides of the debate is that the decent law abiding travellers who go about their lives and cause no harm to anyone get it just as bad/worse than non travellers.
    +1. I've known a couple of settled travellers and they were chalk and cheese compared to the other type, but were intimidated by the dodgy lot to keep to the "culture" of keeping things in house. I knew one lad and his wife who had to emigrate to get away from that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Enda is unlikely to run into any of them at the yacht club.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

You were doing well until this sentence. You give out about people tarring all travellers with the same brush, and then make such a sweeping statement... Do you know, for a fact, this family have actually made statements of complaint? That they're willing to follow it to court and give evidence? My experience with travellers is that they're not willing to follow it. Even those who do make statements usually end up withdrawing before or during court, or just don't turn up to give evidence. They want to sort it themselves, and that's the running theme of crime investigation involving traveller on traveller crime. Source? 9 years investigating the likes of this crap.

I take it you were or are a garda perhaps?
    Anyway, therein lies a major part of the problem.
    They want to sort it out themselves, so why not let them!
    If mine and my neighbours families start attacking and mauling each other in public we wouldn't get away with it, but these special status citizens seem to do it frequently without much bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't tar all travellers with the same brush but it is hard not to when the law abiding group seldom come out to condemn those causing trouble.

Are you expected to condemn all violence committed by settled people?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are you expected to condemn all violence committed by settled people?
    Eh... yeah? Normal human beings do just that, particularly if it's perpetrated by someone you see as part of your "group". If a bunch of Irish people committed acts of violence in I dunno Rome, damn right other Irish people would condemn it.

I take it you were or are a garda perhaps?
    Anyway, therein lies a major part of the problem.
    They want to sort it out themselves, so why not let them!
    If mine and my neighbours families start attacking and mauling each other in public we wouldn't get away with it, but these special status citizens seem to do it frequently without much bother.

Yup, 9 long years and packed it in. And I'm with you, I believe we should let them sort it out among themselves. Even monetise it. Have a special arena where they can settle their differences with proper 1 on 1 fist fights, no weapons. But alas, the public don't want that.

The problem is, unless the Garda sees it, there's little can be done. They won't make statements against each other, or as above, withdraw before or during court. Gardai can act on CCTV, but it's true that public CCTV is, at best, crap, and very hard to 100% identify which John it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why does this come to mind :rolleyes:

source.gif

I am not allowed discuss …