Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is it hard to get even a minimum wage job?

• 26-08-2019 11:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

In my early 20s and I've applied to about 40+ places but no response. Don't have any previous experience so that's probably working against me but even then, it seems way to difficult.

Is this a common theme now in Ireland? Are we going back to the recession?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It’s just you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

They keep telling us there are jobs everywhere, just look around the back of your couch, there will surely be an old one lying around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Where do you live OP? If it's Dublin I would say you need to take a good look at your CV if it's Leitrim I would say take a good look at moving out of the place!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s just you.

Agreed.
    If the OP's interview style is anything like their posting style, they may well be a burden on the state for quite a while yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

banie01 wrote: »
    Agreed.
    If the OP's interview style is anything like their posting style, they may well be a burden on the state for quite a while yet ;)

Ad hominem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

In my early 20s and I've applied to about 40+ places but no response. Don't have any previous experience so that's probably working against me but even then, it seems way to difficult.

It really isn't hard to find a job especially a minimum wage one. Expecting to get a response as some form of encouragement is your own issue which you need to get over. You keep applying, I applied for 40 jobs in a week when looking. I called into businesses about my applications and kept looking.

It is difficult to change your mindset from where you seem to be. It is what it is and if you think it is "way too difficult" why do you think it would be easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Someone running a business would be wary of a person in their early twenties with no previous work experience. You might have to do some volunteer work to get going otherwise people will have you marked as a liability. Or do a bit of networking through family and friends to see if you can find work that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

Go to a recruitment agent, apply for short term / temporary work. go back to education and upskill. You have plenty of options even though your post was very vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Companies are projecting a recession. So employers are getting very wary of who they are taking on.
    The company I work for is looking for 3% growth this year, which is very, very modest. Working Hours are down on last year too. I have noticed this for other retail companies of a similar genre too that I share space with.

Recessions only get reported on after the growth period. So we're probably in the recession now and it will be made official at the start of next year.

House prices are coming down too. All the signs are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ad hominem.

Hardly.
    The OP is relating their experience of struggling to find a job.
    How one appears and is perceived at interview is integral to securing employment.

If the OP is presenting themselves or being perceived IRL in the same manner as their boards persona.
    They are unlikely to be a 1st choice at an interview process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

1. If you are getting no response then perhaps your CV, letter etc are an issue. Take a look online at the many sites that advise how to structure these.
    2. If you have no experience at all then there are many ways to fix that. Approach a charity and ask to do some volunteer work for them. Sure you won't get paid for it but at least it is some experience.
    3. Consider really bad jobs. For example meat processing companies often struggle to recruit people because the work is unpleasant and the pay is basically minimum wage. Many of these will take pretty much anyone. All you have to do is stick it out for 6 months and then start to look elsewhere.
    4. Consider doing something yourself. Working online or doing deliveries etc. Something that allows you put into down on the CV.

And on your last question. Are we back to recession? No. But in a year we will be after Brexit. You need to act NOW to get the experience you need. For example many of those meat processing companies I talked about will be in big trouble after Brexit. They may not exist in early 2020. So you need to get in there now and get something on that CV because in 6 months you could be competing against 100k+ new unemployed people who do have some experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

It is hard to get a job tbh and I think I hate the term 'plenty of jobs'. You know, if you have to volunteer for experience, take temp work or go back to education for minimum wage then there is not plenty of jobs :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Where do you live OP? If it's Dublin I would say you need to take a good look at your CV if it's Leitrim I would say take a good look at moving out of the place!!

I live near Drogheda/Meath

banie01 wrote: »
    Hardly.
    The OP is relating their experience of struggling to find a job.
    How one appears and is perceived at interview is integral to securing employment.

If the OP is presenting themselves or being perceived IRL in the same manner as their boards persona.
    They are unlikely to be a 1st choice at an interview process.

How exactly?

Nevermind my persona though, I'm still applying for jobs daily. Sending around 5 CV's to employers every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,455 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It is hard to get a job tbh and I think I hate the term 'plenty of jobs'. You know, if you have to volunteer for experience, take temp work or go back to education for minimum wage then there is not plenty of jobs :P

He's applied for over forty jobs. Obviously no shortage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭SteM

How exactly?

Nevermind my persona though, I'm still applying for jobs daily. Sending around 5 CV's to employers every day.

So are you applying for jobs or sending CVS on spec in the hope that there's something going? If you're applying for actual jobs and getting no replies at all then it's an issue with your CV or cover letter.

Companies are projecting a recession. So employers are getting very wary of who they are taking on.
    The company I work for is looking for 3% growth this year, which is very, very modest. Working Hours are down on last year too. I have noticed this for other retail companies of a similar genre too that I share space with.

Recessions only get reported on after the growth period. So we're probably in the recession now and it will be made official at the start of next year.

House prices are coming down too. All the signs are there.

There needs to be 2 quarters of negative GDP for a recession. Economy grew by 2.4% GNP in Q1, and estimates are 2% for Q2. We’re not in a recession, but I understand the UK are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

In fairness, some companies take the absolute cake with their attitudes towards applicants. I live further away from Dublin and job options are somewhat limited, and every job that's not niche has hundreds of applications. And instead of just sending out an generic thanks but no thanks - email you hear nothing and see the job re-listed every 4 days for the next 6 weeks.

Anyway, OP consider some generic field sales role. They suck but you can make money with it if you really want to and they don't need experience. There are a few companies around in the greater Dublin area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You have to contact companies that have no vacancy listed, land into places that might be interesting to work and ask if there might be something going, head down to the pub and ask there. Show some interest in wht you will be doing

It is too easy to send cv's on indeed and Irishjobs so a lot of the time you get no response. Loads of ppl wake up in the morning and fall out of bed around 11 or 12 then click 'apply' a few times thinking they have their good deed done for the day but employers want to avoid those people.

Put up a few ads in the local shop offering to do something you are good at if all else fails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Drogheda has a fair few employers in and around it that should suit. Failing that temp work for construction companies is always going, often through recruitment agencies, and most outfits will take you permanent if they like how you work on site.

In my experience a lot of stuff advertised online is dubious nonsense from recruitment sharks. Get past them and in touch with one of the many, many people with work coming out of their ears who need bodies yesterday and you won't be long getting hired. Whether it's work you like will be another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Why are you applying for minimum wage jobs. They pay crap. I wouldn’t apply for anything less than 40 k starting with a renegotiation after one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

OP, as others have said, the lack of work experience on your CV is probably holding you back....and I know its only minimum wage jobs, but also for the jobs you are applying for, do have all of the required stuff they are looking for Eg. Full driving License, language skills, Educational/certification qualifications, etc. don't waste their time and yours, by even applying, if you don't.

Even for jobs with no real entry requirements, an employer will be loath to take on somebody for their 'first' job, especialy when they might have a choice to take on more experienced people at the same wage cost as you.

You will likely need to take some pretty crap job(s) just to get a bit of work experience, under your belt...then the worlds your oyster. Also use your Family and friends as a kind of a 'jobs network' ... it might surprise you, what/who they know. An employer is always more likely to take on somebody who they have a connection with, even if its only friend of a friend of a friend kinda thing ...it marks you out from the competition.

You have to contact companies that have no vacancy listed, land into places that might be interesting to work and ask if there might be something going, head down to the pub and ask there. Show some interest in wht you will be doing

It is too easy to send cv's on indeed and Irishjobs so a lot of the time you get no response. Loads of ppl wake up in the morning and fall out of bed around 11 or 12 then click 'apply' a few times thinking they have their good deed done for the day but employers want to avoid those people.

Put up a few ads in the local shop offering to do something you are good at if all else fails

Yeah unless it's the hospitality industry most companies tell you to look on their homepage.
    When I was looking a while ago I got my physical CV (that I got checked professionally) to 25 offices in a 50km radius and believe me that was tough work. I heard back from a single one saying that they don't have vacancies.
    There is a reason companies with non-physical work have a HR department that's partly automated.

Plus don't underestimate the laziness of companies. I've been chatting to people that don't think it's cool to just show up and wanting to speak to a manager. Their application process suits them just right, so they don't have 10 people a day showing up in the foyer wanting to talk to a manager practically begging for a job.

That dropping in and asking for vacancies only really works in small companies and certain fields. Every Aldi tells you to apply online because they literally can't hire you otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How exactly?

What kinds of jobs are you looking at? Do any of them match what you've done or studied? Have you contacted any agencies on this? There's at least one in Drogheda. There's the CV in the hand and knocking on doors approach. I'd also ask someone to look at your CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

it seems way to difficult.

You're right, they should have employed you at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Because you're Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Many minimal or non skilled jobs paying peanuts still look for at least 1 years experience in similar roles.
    *rolls eyes*

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Experience is a Catch 22. Employers only want to hire people with experience, but you can't get a job without any experience. Only thing you can really do is offer to work for free for a while to get experience. Talk to family and friends and find someone with a business who's willing to show you the ropes on something, in exchange for free labour. Us this to then get a new job. Or they may hire you in the existing job if you are good. It's not ideal we all know but if you want to get ahead these are the things you need to do.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    You're right, they should have employed you at this stage.
    40 applications and no job raises a whole lot of questions about the person, the CV and who those applications are being sent to.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    40 applications and no job raises a whole lot of questions about the person, the CV and who those applications are being sent to.

Is that so?

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Is that so?
    I knew I should have gone with the question mark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well why do employers advertise on indeed and irishjobs in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It's hard to get a minimum-wage job because about 90% of jobs aren't minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Just keep trying, OP. And ignore the unhelpful people who tell you that there are loads of jobs out there. The more jobs you apply for, the more chance you have of getting lucky, even if it takes a while. I was in a similar situation last year - applied for hundreds of jobs and never even received an acknowledgement from 99% of them. And then, when I had pretty much given up hope (and was on the verge of literally giving up altogether), I was offered two good jobs within the space of a week.

As the IRA said, when they tried to assassinate the entire British government back in the '80s, "We only have to be lucky once". I like to apply the philosophy of the IRA to lots of things in life - job-seeking, dating, the national lottery, minor disputes with neighbours...

And if I get the job, will it be as horrible as people say? Rude customers, unmanagable hours?

Not try to be at all pessimistic but I always hear so many people from college talk about their ****ty jobs.

• Advertisement

And if I get the job, will it be as horrible as people say? Rude customers, unmanagable hours?

Not try to be at all pessimistic but I always hear so many people from college talk about their ****ty jobs.

Oh god yes but like many things, you start at the bottom.

fryup wrote: »
    well why do employers advertise on indeed and irishjobs in the first place?

It actually works for people qualified.

One of my friends in college applied for two jobs only in Dundrum at the start of the week. By Friday, he got a response from one of then next week did an interview and got the job.

But then again, he's the same lad I was talking about in another thread who got 600 points in his LC, 10 A's in his Junior, and is now a successful jewish trainee lawyer :D in Trinity. And only 21. Look at where I am at that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

BDI wrote: »
    Why are you applying for minimum wage jobs. They pay crap. I wouldn’t apply for anything less than 40 k starting with a renegotiation after one year.

Yes, because that's realistic for someone who has literally never worked a day in their life.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yes, because that's realistic for someone who has literally never worked a day in their life.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

LirW wrote: »
    Yeah unless it's the hospitality industry most companies tell you to look on their homepage.
    When I was looking a while ago I got my physical CV (that I got checked professionally) to 25 offices in a 50km radius and believe me that was tough work. I heard back from a single one saying that they don't have vacancies.
    There is a reason companies with non-physical work have a HR department that's partly automated.

Plus don't underestimate the laziness of companies. I've been chatting to people that don't think it's cool to just show up and wanting to speak to a manager. Their application process suits them just right, so they don't have 10 people a day showing up in the foyer wanting to talk to a manager practically begging for a job.

That dropping in and asking for vacancies only really works in small companies and certain fields. Every Aldi tells you to apply online because they literally can't hire you otherwise.

A lot of the big companies want to cover their arses if someone comes after them over discrimination and the like and want everything on file. But the official application process never stood to me really. Even for the job I am doing now despite applying to the company through indeed they didn't give me the job I applied for and wouldn't have given me anything if I didn't keep ringing them. This place has a few 100 working there and nothing resembling a HR department

I was lucky in that they were wanting to give some fella the boot and I arrived at the right time. Never went into a place looking to speak to a manager but there are more discreet ways of finding where the jobs are. Had to do 2 years of volunteering for my sins when i had 0 days experience but that was during the recession should be easier now for OP

• Advertisement

Depends on the job and the people. I have done a number of them myself and it's really what you make it. Mostly not too *****y!

Right, here’s a more serious response.

First thing I’d do is have someone look at your CV, check for spelling mistakes, grammar etc. How many pages is it? Should be two pages maximum. What sort of language are you using? Is it energetic, friendly?

Have you been attaching cover letters with your CV? A good cover letter, tailored for the role you’re applying for, outlining why you want the job and why you feel you’re a good candidate should be attached. Enthusiasm can make up for a lack of experience.

You say that you’re using Indeed.com to apply? That’s a very passive way of applying for roles. You need to apply directly to the companies/businesses, in person if you can. Dress smarty, have your CV and cover letter prepared and in a crisp clean envelope. If you can do that much you’re already ahead of other candidates.

I think in your situation you have two choices, feel sorry for yourself that you feel that there are no roles, or up your game and try harder/smarter. Sending out 5 CVs each day? Send 10 instead. But make sure they’re tailored for the role and include that cover letter.

When you’re dropping in your CVs, make sure you smile and come across as a friendly individual.

vriesmays wrote: »
    It's hard to get a minimum-wage job because about 90% of jobs aren't minimum wage.

Ah you mean the good old "we pay a competitive rate for the field aka 10 quid an hour" joke? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Well I'm a man in my 40's with plenty of experience and I'm finding it very hard to get even a reply to my applications..so all this talk of "loads of jobs" is a myth to me.

Maybe when you reach a certain age no one wants to know.

What are some skills you guys have put down on your CV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Totally irrelevant. What skills have you? They are what you put on your CV.
    Nowadays just dumping CVs on companies not actively recruiting is pointless. Those CVs general get filed in the bin.

I thought you were a student. Are you looking for part time work or a full time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

frosty123 wrote: »
    Well I'm a man in my 40's with plenty of experience and I'm finding it very hard to get even a reply to my applications..so all this talk of "loads of jobs" is a myth to me.

Maybe when you reach a certain age no one wants to know.

When I finished college as a mature student this became very real to me and I was only in my early 30s. Graduate roles are for energetic people in their early 20s that will work mad hours, especially in finance.

I look young for my age and was asked about my leaving cert in one interview a couple of years ago. I told them I sat my leaving cert 14 years ago and their faces dropped. The tone of the interview changed drastically after that.

Even minimum wage type employers are wary of anyone over 30. And if you have a degree, they are of the view that you're just looking for something for a couple of months whilst you're looking for a specialized job.

Totally irrelevant. What skills have you? They are what you put on your CV.
    Nowadays just dumping CVs on companies not actively recruiting is pointless. Those CVs general get filed in the bin.

I thought you were a student. Are you looking for part time work or a full time?

Part time, I've failed the LC twice (did it this year) and I'm starting a course in journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

• Ability to deflower buxom maidens at will
    • De-plucking chickens at legs length
    • A true go-getter, proven many times by getting the go when the go couldn't be gotten by other getters
    • Fully dressed Monday through Monday
    • An orgasm face that can un-sink ships
    • Polydactylic
    • An in-depth, infallible knowledge of information

Just think about what an employer NEEDS, and get that go, you can do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Just grab the boss man by the arm when he is coming out of the office and say cmere to me I’ll see ye first thing in the morning about the job. Then stay there overnight to make sure you are there when he arrives.
    Tell him when he gets there that he will have to start getting up earlier or you will have his job in no time. Smack his arse when he walks by you and call him princess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement