Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

walshb wrote: »
    Well, if that Katherine Jenkins is anything to go by, yes indeed...

Absolute soulless voice.......

Charlotte Church too... but to be fair, this is the Unpopular Opinions thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Really? The Spanish Flu affected half a billion people at a time when the world's population was under 2 billion, killing 50 million of them. The Plague wiped out 80% plus of some cities.

They didn't die out, they ran out of hosts to carry them. There is a difference.

So......we are in agreement. Whatever the reason it died out.

If you were trying to contradict me you didn't do a very good job- you essentially agreed with me and even expanded on my point- thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you were trying to contradict me you didn't do a very good job- you essentially agreed with me and even expanded on my point- thank you.

If people in the mid 1300's had the knowledge and abilities we have now, there's no way they would have it "die out" by killing half the population of Europe. Same with the Spanish Flu. It "died out" only because the knowledge and means weren't there to put measures in place to control it, and it resulted in a catastrophe. It wasn't by design.

And that's what you're calling for - deliberately not acting in the full knowledge that a lot of people will die to allow the virus to run out of steam. Which is very different from inaction born out of ignorance or inability.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so how many million deaths would you think are acceptable? what percentage of the world population is it acceptable to lose?

If people in the mid 1300's had the knowledge and abilities we have now, there's no way they would have it "die out" by killing half the population of Europe. Same with the Spanish Flu. It "died out" only because the knowledge and means weren't there to put measures in place to control it, and it resulted in a catastrophe. It wasn't by design.

And that's what you're calling for - deliberately not acting in the full knowledge that a lot of people will die to allow the virus to run out of steam. Which is very different from inaction born out of ignorance or inability.

Puff your chest out and get as dramatic as you want about it killiing half of Europe etc etc but it still died out. By design or not is irrelevant. The world moved on.

• Advertisement

Ireland should join the Commonwealth and have a United Ireland

There have been countless threads on here about the Commonwealth and nobody yet has come with any sort of positive or compelling reasons for joining an irrelevant post-colonial talking shop that only really serves to make the Brits feel like they are not irrelevant.

Hopefully Brexit will be seen as a great opportunity to finally start putting more distance between our stale doting nostalgia driven neighbours.

Ireland’s present and future lies in the EU. Greater co-operation with our European neighbours is the way to go- leave the UK in the past where it is determined to stay.

so how many million deaths would you think are acceptable? what percentage of the world population is it acceptable to lose?

Oh let's see....100m should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Puff your chest out and get as dramatic as you want about it killiing half of Europe etc etc but it still died out. By design or not is irrelevant. The world moved on.

But sure by definition the world moves on from everything that happened in the past. You could equally say that the world will move on from the effects of the restrictions. If you got hit by a bus, the world would move on - it doesn't mean we shouldn't put measures in place to help prevent you being hit by a bus. the point you're trying so hard to miss with your posturing is that we have choices in how we move on.

But sure by definition the world moves on from everything that happened in the past. You could equally say that the world will move on from the effects of the restrictions. If you got hit by a bus, the world would move on - it doesn't mean we shouldn't put measures in place to help prevent you being hit by a bus. the point you're trying so hard to miss with your posturing is that we have choices in how we move on.

Of course, we have choices- that is my exact fundamental point. Go back read my posts (#2881). I never said that there should not be any precautions.

It should be left to us as individuals to make that (fully informed) choice- if you feel you are vulnerable? Well then take the necessary precautions.

This one size fits all approach is overkill and simply not sustainable. Everyone knows it is not sustainable so let’s just cut the crap and get on with it.

We have to accept it wil be around with us for awhile. People will catch it and the overwhelming majority will recover without any issues. Unfortunately a small minority will not be so lucky. That is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Our future and our children's future starts in the present. In current circumstances we only have one chance to get it right and that has to start right now.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LA3F4_KRL5M

• Advertisement

No, we are not in agreement. Have you taken leave of your senses? "Whatever the reason, it died out" is a complete joke of a statement to make. There is a huge world of difference between a disease dying off and the hosts of the disease dying off so that there is insufficient numbers to propagate it.

Are you honestly implying that you'd be happy with an equivalent number of cases and deaths using today's population? Seriously, now, you'd be okay with 2 billion people contracting this disease?

Oh let's see....100m should be enough.

Ah, you're on the wind up. Carry on, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The clamour to have more exclusivity among characters in movies and tv shows (for example, complaining that there is no black central character in Friends) is nonsense, mainly due to the fact that your circle of friends tend to be the same race/nationality as yourself.

Maybe my sample size is small, and Ireland is a lot more diverse now compared to a generation ago, but I wouldn't know many people who would have black or asian friends in their cohort. Would rarely see many Irish people with Eastern European friends or acquaintances either (although those communities seem to very clannish). Heck I don't even know of many social circles with the one "token" gay person, or the equivalent of a jock or nerd. Same goes for Irish people abroad- by and large they would stick with their "own".

And the irony is, people calling for more exclusivity, yet you would definitely see less white people among a black circle of friends.

Ah, you're on the wind up. Carry on, so.

Ask a stupid question and you get a stupid answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I don't care for GAA or soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ekerot wrote: »
    I don't care for GAA or soccer

That’s not an unpopular opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

walshb wrote: »
    That’s not an unpopular opinion..

Considering most people in Ireland probably watch hurling and soccer I'd say it is.

Considering most people in Ireland probably watch hurling and soccer I'd say it is.

Saying it’s overrated or Sh1t would be unpopular..

Just not all that into it? No, not unpopular at all..

**** loads people don’t watch soccer and GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Theres a massive lack of positive female role models in Ireland and an over representation of negative female role models in Ireland.

Take a look at the papers or tv . The only women we see regularly that you'd be happy for your daughter to aspire to be are Claire Byrne, Saoirse Ronan and to a lesser extent Katie Taylor.

On the other hand we have vacuous women only famed for cosmetic surgery and selling their bodies like Vogue Williams, Maura Higgins etc...

Ireland as a country needs to move away from parading women who have little more to offer than taking their clothes off for money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

This country is too strict when it comes to prescriptions for controlled drugs. I'm going for my wisdom teeth removed next month and found out I might not get any painkillers beside ibuprofen/paracetamol. That's ****ed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

12 Years a Slave is an embarrassingly bad movie.

Purple Rain by Prince is a bloody AWFUL song.

Gemma O'Doherty is sexy.

I couldn't be arsed watching Normal People.

Game of Thrones the most overrated tv show ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The right to vote should be restricted to those who know what they're voting for. Populist voting by the ignorant masses can only lead to bigger problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

12 Years a Slave is an embarrassingly bad movie.

Haven't seen it, so no comment

Purple Rain by Prince is a bloody AWFUL song.

I never understood the appeal either.
    Gemma O'Doherty is sexy.

You, Sir, are either in dire need of medical intervention, or a pervert on a level unheard of hitherto.

I couldn't be arsed watching Normal People.

Some sort of love story apparently , so I wouldn't be arsed meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That recent cover of "Dreams" that all those female singers recorded lately is cheesy and nowhere near as good as the original. There's a few bits in it where the singer veers completely off the tempo of the song to add her own bit, like an extended holding of a note or something, that if it happened on x-factor, people would be up in arms claiming that it's glorified karaoke.

Yet all I have heard is glowing reviews, mainly because to perhaps think it's not that good would be seen as sexist or sacrilegious.

In fact, a broader opinion is that female arts, music and literature aren't subject to the same mainstream criticisms as males. You never see comedy films featuring female leads as critically panned for being rubbish as an immediate example.

The Great Pyramid of Giza was not built in 20 years.

Khafre was not responsible for the construction of The Sphinx. It has been around far, far, longer.

Quazzie wrote: »
    The right to vote should be restricted to those who know what they're voting for. Populist voting by the ignorant masses can only lead to bigger problems down the line.

Absolutely. It’s why society and standards and decency and principles have been eroded, to be replaced by chav society..

Just look at some of the fooking heads elected...

Quazzie wrote: »
    The right to vote should be restricted to those who know what they're voting for.

How would that be determined?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

That recent cover of "Dreams" that all those female singers recorded lately is cheesy and nowhere near as good as the original. There's a few bits in it where the singer veers completely off the tempo of the song to add her own bit, like an extended holding of a note or something, that if it happened on x-factor, people would be up in arms claiming that it's glorified karaoke.

Yet all I have heard is glowing reviews, mainly because to perhaps think it's not that good would be seen as sexist or sacrilegious.

In fact, a broader opinion is that female arts, music and literature aren't subject to the same mainstream criticisms as males. You never see comedy films featuring female leads as critically panned for being rubbish as an immediate example.

Very true. There has been recent examples of films comedy or otherwise that were total **** yet not a word about it.

Same goes with givening roles or jobs to women just becase they are a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How would that be determined?

have to pass a test on the issue being voted on.

Advertisement