Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else here a teetotaler?

Options
  • 19-08-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Why did you decide? How long ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Last night, about 11pm.
    sfsg......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I’m a sleeping tee-totaller and a waking alco...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not officially but I rarely drink due to all the pain meds I'm on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm sober now about 26 weeks , not 26 in a row or anything like that.
    A week here, another one or two there , been going on like that the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Always on a Monday these threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Always on a Monday these threads

Most of us are too drunk to care at the weekends...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes, for many decades. Far too expensive and not wise with meds, and very happy to be alcohol free..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I woke up one thrusday am in the 00's after drinking one glass of red wine, feeling like I had been poisioned and with a head that felt like it would explode any number of times over the next few days.

Ive only had a can of import since that night.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I barely drink since I've had a child.
    Might have the odd few pints, but I'm as good dry.
    Best decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm a recovering alcoholic, so yes! Much happier to be alcohol-free. It took me multiple hospital/rehab admissions to get me there, though. And I'm on a medication called Antibuse which would make me violently ill if I were to ingest any alcohol, it's not what keeps me sober but it does reduce the temptation I guess.

Life is a lot happier and simpler for me these days. I really can't say I miss living in the state of non-reality I was in for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Best decision ever.

interesting choice of name for someone who does not drink! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have always been one.

I have always been one.
    Wow interesting story that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

How many accounts have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Best decision ever.

There's truth in that. I really don't understand the concept of going out to get drunk. The idea is a little bit sad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

interesting choice of name for someone who does not drink! :p

Good point!
    I probably should re-reg as GreenTeaman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Tea total every Monday till Friday evening comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

14dMoney wrote: »
    There's truth in that. I really don't understand the concept of going out to get drunk. The idea is a little bit sad to me.

People get drunk because getting pissed is great fun.

People get drunk because getting pissed is great fun.

I find it a poor reflection of our society that getting pissed is the national pastime. Again, getting pissed is something that has never appealed to me. It strikes me as low level escapism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

I am by choice. Not religious or medical or anything. Just don't like alcohol and never have.

What's amazing is how that choice seems to empower people to think they can abuse me. I remember being at a match and the father of a mate called me a "****ing dry arse", and not in a joking way, when I said I didn't drink. He really seemed to think there was something wrong with me that I didn't share his love of alcohol. Never met the prick before or since and his son apologized for him.

That is just an example and wasn't a rare event so now I just say I'm driving. However I've come to the conclusion that alcoholism and binge drinking is such a problem in people's lives that they react angrily to anyone who have enough control not to let alcohol take over their lives.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    I am by choice. Not religious or medical or anything. Just don't like alcohol and never have.

What's amazing is how that choice seems to empower people to think they can abuse me. I remember being at a match and the father of a mate called me a "****ing dry arse", and not in a joking way, when I said I didn't drink. He really seemed to think there was something wrong with me that I didn't share his love of alcohol. Never met the prick before or since and his son apologized for him.

That is just an example and wasn't a rare event so now I just say I'm driving. However I've come to the conclusion that alcoholism and binge drinking is such a problem in people's lives that they react angrily to anyone who have enough control not to let alcohol take over their lives.

Genuinely how I feel. I'm 26 so I do get the anode comments quite a bit. I do think that a large % of the population are functioning alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I always thought different. Usually drunk people are the ones that get abused and raped. A man in my country used to drink a lot and sleep on the street, one morning we was woked by others and his shorts was pulled down to his knees and a very painful hole. I can proudly say that I never got drunk or raped and my hole I use only for evacuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I am since my very early 20s. Never found anything that I considered nice to drink so never saw the point. Used to always be the designated driver at the end of the night. Had a van that I stuffed as many people possible into and away to their houses to drop off (this was in the last century before everyone had to have a seat/belt etc)
    Most I managed was 5 in the back of the van and 2 on the passenger seat beside me. Friends were always happy to see me out as they knew they'd get home safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Its funny how alcohol is the only drug on planet earth you have to justify not taking

KatyMac wrote: »
    I am since my very early 20s. Never found anything that I considered nice to drink so never saw the point. Used to always be the designated driver at the end of the night. Had a van that I stuffed as many people possible into and away to their houses to drop off (this was in the last century before everyone had to have a seat/belt etc)
    Most I managed was 5 in the back of the van and 2 on the passenger seat beside me. Friends were always happy to see me out as they knew they'd get home safe!

I always found it unbelievably frustrating trying to round people up at the end of the night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

@touts I've received the same abuse too. Like you I just say I'm driving. I do have a very occasional drink but since the kids have arrived it's very occasional, I think the last one was a glass of bubbles last year at a hen, didn't drink at the wedding as I was driving.

I lost a good percentage of my hearing a few years ago too so being in a pub is completely pointless for me. I'll go for abit but will be gone by 10 when noise levels start to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I don't drink. Don't need to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

I love how easy it is for you to look like a tit no matter what thread you stumble into :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

14dMoney wrote: »
    I always found it unbelievably frustrating trying to round people up at the end of the night though.

Like herding feral cats.

• Advertisement

How many accounts have you got?
    One. You can only have one.:confused:

Advertisement