Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

greencap wrote: »
    Surely you can still have private ticket events without infringing the same free speech they're promoting.

Free speech will still allow you to take a dump in private without having to answer a TV interviewer. Or wake up in the morning without a crowd in your room demanding answers.

Personal space can co-exist with free speech.

Queen's University is a public institute, freedom to protest is pretty applicable in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Brian? wrote: »
    While championing free speech......

Since when does free speech give you the right to stop others from going about their business though?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Surely you can still have private ticket events without infringing the same free speech they're promoting.

Free speech will still allow you to take a dump in private without having to answer a TV interviewer. Or wake up in the morning without a crowd in your room demanding answers.

Personal space can co-exist with free speech.

Taking a dump is nothing to do with free speech. That’s a bizarre analogy.

Dr Peterson is free to express his opinions. The protesters are free to protest. Both are being hypocritical by attempting to lessen the other sides right to speak.

I find it amusing that Peterson and his co speakers lock themselves into a room full of fans to give this talk.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Queen's University is a public institute, freedom to protest is pretty applicable in this scenario.

Dr Peterson is free to express his opinions. The protesters are free to protest. Both are being hypocritical by attempting to lessen the other sides right to speak.

I find it amusing that Peterson and his co speakers lock themselves into a room full of fans to give this talk.

You're still allowed to organize an un-interrupted group interaction.

Free speech doesn't predicate booking a room and/or locking a door if theres disruptive people.

Its not some kind of carte blanche to do whatever you like, wherever you like.

Me not being allowed to kick in your door and start yabbering at your kitchen table during your family dinner isn't a denial of my free speech.

They had to lock themselves in for safety reasons. That alone should tell all you need to know about the "peaceful" protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Let's say we give Brian? the win on this one and agree that you CAN enter someone's home and break up their political discussion over family dinner on the grounds that the father is spreading harmful beliefs to his children.

Would this power not come with a massive amount of responsibility?

I would imagine that one would only wish to wield such power in the most extreme cases. Not over, for example, debates over whether Star Wars is better than Star Trek.

This is the problem with protesting against Peterson, I think. None of his views are particularly dangerous or damaging to society. He has a lot of ideas and he's a good and thoughtful speaker, with some moments of actual brilliance, but he's not a hate preacher or anything along those lines.

Yet, here we have a bunch of people who are forming up in groups and charging in to deny this guy his platform and to deny his audience the chance to hear his words. They are acting as though his mildly controversial views pose a threat to society in 2018 when it can't really be shown that they do.

I don't know what good it does to shut him down. If the reason for shutting him down is "because we can" then I don't know how anyone could support that. It seems plenty of people do support it though.

Brian? didn't say anything of the sort. The rest of your post is rendered pointless by such a silly and obvious straw man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Amusing. Really?

It is perfectly clear you have no clue of the reality of these situations.

KINGSTON, Ontario, Canada, March 7, 2018

Police say in a report that the 38-year-old woman broke a stained glass window in a Queen’s University lecture hall after banging on it during Peterson’s talk there on Monday afternoon, cutting her hand.

After fleeing the scene, the woman was apprehended by plainclothes officers nearby. When they identified themselves, the woman yelled and tried to escape. When they handcuffed the woman, she became violent and began to kick one of them.

The police called for backup, but the woman continued to resist by attempting to kick out the window of the police car. Upon arriving at the station, the woman refused to walk or otherwise co-operate and bit another officer before she was carried to a cell.

According to the police, when they searched the woman’s backpack, they found a piece of wire fastened to two handles, which they described as a “garrotte.” A garrotte is a weapon used to strangle someone to death.

Amusing. Really?

It is perfectly clear you have no clue of the reality of these situations.

KINGSTON, Ontario, Canada, March 7, 2018

Police say in a report that the 38-year-old woman broke a stained glass window in a Queen’s University lecture hall after banging on it during Peterson’s talk there on Monday afternoon, cutting her hand.

After fleeing the scene, the woman was apprehended by plainclothes officers nearby. When they identified themselves, the woman yelled and tried to escape. When they handcuffed the woman, she became violent and began to kick one of them.

The police called for backup, but the woman continued to resist by attempting to kick out the window of the police car. Upon arriving at the station, the woman refused to walk or otherwise co-operate and bit another officer before she was carried to a cell.

According to the police, when they searched the woman’s backpack, they found a piece of wire fastened to two handles, which they described as a “garrotte.” A garrotte is a weapon used to strangle someone to death.

looooooolllllllll

mental.

I love the lack of 'this isn't going well and I should just stop' awareness in these people.

their minds must be filled with 80's episodes of the a-team.

first i smash the window, then i get past security, then i garrote the bad guy, then everythings fine.

any problems with security i bite them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Like others have said, I think certain posters are underestimating how utterly inscribed these neo-Marxist's are. They are totally indoctrinated and beyond reason and will use any means, including violence, to shut down discussions which don't align with their worldview. Those saying "sure they're only protestors and within their rights" are either ignorant or enablers of shutting down free speech. What they are doing isn't protesting, they are actively looking to shut down any form of debate.

You're still allowed to organize an un-interrupted group interaction.

Free speech doesn't predicate booking a room and/or locking a door if theres disruptive people.

Its not some kind of carte blanche to do whatever you like, wherever you like.

Me not being allowed to kick in your door and start yabbering at your kitchen table during your family dinner isn't a denial of my free speech.

If you kick in my front door, you're breaking and entering.

If those protesters broker windows, they are guilty of damaging property.

Both are illegal. I agree.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    Since when does free speech give you the right to stop others from going about their business though?

Since freedom of speech was granted to the population in a given country.

I have no issues with peaceful protest. I have an issue with violent protest, have I said that enough times?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

looooooolllllllll

mental.

I love the lack of 'this isn't going well and I should just stop' awareness in these people.

their minds must be filled with 80's episodes of the a-team.

first i smash the window, then i get past security, then i garrote the bad guy, then everythings fine.

any problems with security i bite them.

I don't think that person's behaviour is evidence of anything other than an unfortunate psychiatric illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bit bored there a while ago so listened to the interrogation which was woeful. I think I'm a bit dumber after wasting almost half-an-hour on it. The difference between an academic and a bad interviewer was stark. I'd say I could find cogent rebuttals to the guest from actual academics if I was bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I find it amusing that Peterson and his co speakers lock themselves into a room full of fans to give this talk

Why were they banging on the windows, was it cos they weren't allowed to attend? It's a university so I'd assume anyone is allowed to access tickets.

It's clear this crowd would prefer nobody speaks as they don't agree with some positions he's taken. Rather than debate they bang on a can to try and drown out things they disagree with.

I don't think that person's behaviour is evidence of anything other than an unfortunate psychiatric illness.

They could just be extremely immature. Theres loads of them out there like that. Not just in this context, they're all over shows like COPS, for decades.

At what point do they think they can still win.
    Thats the hilarious part.

ok. I've lost a shoe and theres a squad car pulling up.....I can still win this.

ok. I'm out of breath after 100m, with one shoe, and a bmi bordering on obese......I can still win this.

ok. Theres a 6'4 veteran detective with a belt full of sprays and tazers, with backup on his radio charging towards me, I'm out of breath, with one shoe, and a bmi bordering on obese, and its all on cctv, and I know the cop to see....I can still win this.

I know, I'll bite him.

Why were they banging on the windows, was it cos they weren't allowed to attend? It's a university so I'd assume anyone is allowed to access tickets.

It's clear this crowd would prefer nobody speaks as they don't agree with some positions he's taken. Rather than debate they bang on a can to try and drown out things they disagree with.

You're asking me questions I simply can't answer.

they/them/theirs

Since freedom of speech was granted to the population in a given country.

I have no issues with peaceful protest. I have an issue with violent protest, have I said that enough times?

So why are you conflating the 2 then. You are implying there was some sort of irony that a free speech event would be castigating those non peaceful protesters. What exactly do the protesters have to do with free speech then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

What Nazi bigots?

I finally watched some of that video. 2 speakers who fundamentally agree, being cheered on by an audience who agree. Pouring scorn on the dissenting voices outside the room. While championing free speech. Not once seeing the irony in it all.

I want to see Peterson actually debate someone.

Point out this irony Brian.

You had one group of people inside a building talking.locking the door for their safety.

The group outside the building banging on the windows (not just one person, she just happened to be caught after breaking it), banging on the doors, blocking the doors with bins and making jokes about "setting fire to the building and they'll all be trapped inside".

Dissenting voices outside?? Horse ****.

that isn't protest, that is intimidation.

It pretty much makes everything you have said regards the "irony" also horse ****.

Definitely need someone who is not a desperate try hard to debate the guy. Because they just ignore facts too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris and Douglas Murray will be having an event at the 3 arena next July.

https://twitter.com/DouglasKMurray/status/977142482118029312

Fantastic, really would like to go to this, lets hope fascist little thugs don't get it shut down, whatever happens
    there will be protests that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris and Douglas Murray will be having an event at the 3 arena next July.

Fantastic, really would like to go to this, lets hope fascist little thugs don't get it shut down, whatever happens

The Rock Lobster Tour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Pity that it's with Sam Harris and Douglas Murray. I have no idea who Douglas Murray is and Sam Harris just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about Muslims.

Would have loved to hear what Jordan has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

JasonS246 wrote: »
    Pity that it's with Sam Harris and Douglas Murray. I have no idea who Douglas Murray is and Sam Harris just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about Muslims.

Would have loved to hear what Jordan has to say.

Douglas murray edits the Spectator.
    Openly gay and writes about Islam/cultural stuff in the UK occasionally.

In my opinion he's a lot heavier weight than Sam Harris.
    I don't think it's a great idea having Sam Harris on at all.
    Personally I am not sure what the appeal is of an event like this, I think speakers tend to need someone with different opinions to bounce off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Douglas murray edits the Spectator.
    Openly gay and writes about Islam/cultural stuff in the UK occasionally.

In my opinion he's a lot heavier weight than Sam Harris.
    I don't think it's a great idea having Sam Harris on at all.
    Personally I am not sure what the appeal is of an event like this, I think speakers tend to need someone with different opinions to bounce off.

Murray did an interesting interview with joe rogan recently enough , Murray is a very well read guy. Depending on the topics harris and peterson would probably differ. if its just a meandering discussion on free speech and campus culture then you wont be any wiser after the fact

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Watching three guys talk wtf.

One more reference, one more reference.

20Cent wrote: »
    RTE would disgust you right now.

20Cent wrote: »

One more reference, one more reference.

It would be great if it was 3 guys with different opinions. This will be one giant echo chamber.

they/them/theirs

It would be great if it was 3 guys with different opinions. This will be one giant echo chamber.

Yeah I can't wait to listen to Sam and Jordan agree on the bible for half an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Pity it’s not Ben Sharpio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Which is not allowed here.

Boards is a huge echo chamber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Spend the evening listening to 3 people talk to each other about whatever pops into their head. Sounds absolutely magical.

Why have they set their sights so low by having it in the Point Depot?

Surely Croke Park or even 3 nights in the Phoenix Park would have been the better option.

Advertisement