Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anglo Bankers Jailed

• 31-07-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Wahay finally some bankers jailed.

Former chief operations office Tiernan O’Mahoney has been sentenced to three years in jail, former company secretary Bernard Daly has been sentenced to two years and former assistant manager Aoife Maguire has been sentenced to 18 months.

http://www.thejournal.ie/anglo-sentencing-2246708-Jul2015/

Good to see, if only Seanie was joining them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

expect to see them released in less than a year (18 months absolute tops)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Complete waste of a jail space.

Only violent criminals should be placed in custody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Que?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They were not jailed because of Anglo in they were jailed for attempting to defraud the revenue, a very important point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'd say castrate them and let them on their merry way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This was a Revenue case, nothing to do with the crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Seriously? :rolleyes:

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I'd say castrate them and let them on their merry way.

You do understand that you cant cut a womans grapes off?

mariaalice wrote: »
    They were not jailed because of Anglo in they were jailed for attempting to defraud the revenue, a very important point.

As opposed to defrauding everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

You do understand that you cant cut a womans grapes off?

Oh no, how will we punish the many women bankers who destroyed the country?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

These are just small fish. Minnows.

We need to jail the big fish.

Jail Seanie Fitz.

Jail Fingleton.

Jail Drumm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As opposed to defrauding everyone else.
    Well defrauding Revenue basically is the same thing as defrauding the rest of us.

Funny that they go to prison for hiding someone else's bank accounts, but the bank account holder gets off scot free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

it probably does say a lot of about the culture of Anglo though while other bank might help with tax efficiency/avoidance I doubt they would faciliate tax fraud.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Oh no, how will we punish the many women bankers who destroyed the country?

One of these is a woman.

Presuming Aoife is a chicks name.

These are just small fish. Minnows.

We need to jail the big fish.

Jail Seanie Fitz.

Jail Fingleton.

Jail Drumm.

Life would be great if it were that simple.

What exactly do you jail them for? How is the evidence procured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

seamus wrote: »
    Funny that they go to prison for hiding someone else's bank accounts, but the bank account holder gets off scot free.
    He has another trial coming on...

Through a garda & cab investigation.

Through a garda & cab investigation.

How is that going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Well for Seanie telling other people to delete his brother-in-laws accounts! I actually wasn't baying for his blood before but seeing that lady go down for something he told her to do! How will he sleep tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Presuming Aoife is a chicks name.

Would hope so. Otherwise he would have had an awful time at school.
    The type of childhood Johnny Cash might pen a song about.

• Advertisement

How is that going?

It will get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Would hope so. Otherwise he would have had an awful time at school.
    The type of childhood Johnny Cash might pen a song about.

Shel Silverstein wrote that song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Well for Seanie telling other people to delete his brother-in-laws accounts! I actually wasn't baying for his blood before but seeing that lady go down for something he told her to do! How will he sleep tonight!
    I can't see why these bank details would have been deleted if Seanie hadn't put in the request all right. He really seems to be someone who would come out of a sewer smelling of roses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Those three convicted should thank their lucky stars this happened in Ireland. If it was in the USA they would probably get 20 years and if it was in China they'd get a bullet in the back of the head.

chughes wrote: »
    Those three convicted should thank their lucky stars this happened in Ireland. If it was in the USA they would probably get 20 years and if it was in China they'd get a bullet in the back of the head.

Yep they have problems in the USA, but they do take white collar crime very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

A bullet in the back of the head is of course merited in this case ffs ðŸ˜. I'll say it again why has the person who gave the order & was the beneficiary here not been charged with anything?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It will get there.

It might. But this trial is thus far the exception rather than the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Soundly on a bed of crisp, newly printed bank notes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That would some sniper to hit one of them here with a shot from China , let alone three of them.

• Advertisement

The likes of him don't give a flying fuck.

Nodin wrote: »
    It might. But this trial is thus far the exception rather than the rule.

True. But they will only delay so long, time will catch them in the end. To much anger under the surface for this to all just disappear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

True. But they will only delay so long, time will catch them in the end. To much anger under the surface for this to all just disappear

They've been investigating the Moriarty tribunal findings since 2011. Given the lack of prosecutions and investigations around other tribunals and incidents in the past it doesn't give me grounds for optimism. Still, with any luck I'm entirely wrong.

Nodin wrote: »
    They've been investigating the Moriarty tribunal findings since 2011. Given the lack of prosecutions and investigations around other tribunals and incidents in the past it doesn't give me grounds for optimism. Still, with any luck I'm entirely wrong.

Hopefully, this can't be swept under the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

It will only catch up with them if there is no proof of state involvement or knowledge.
    That's what helped kill the case last year.

I would also like to see cases involving officials from other banks.......Anglo weren't the only culprits but the narrative seems to be that one bank had all the dodgy dealings.

kazamo wrote: »
    It will only catch up with them if there is no proof of state involvement or knowledge.
    That's what helped kill the case last year.

I would also like to see cases involving officials from other banks.......Anglo weren't the only culprits but the narrative seems to be that one bank had all the dodgy dealings.

Indeed. Fingers comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Shel Silverstein wrote that song

The joke was a poor one as it was.
    Had I referenced Shel Silverstein, it would have been even worse.
    Now quit your heckling. It's hard work up here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Agreed. Fines and community service makes more sense for this sort of thing. These people deprived the tax payer of money, now they're going to deprive them of more. And for what? What does anyone achieve other than feeling like they got a bit of revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

A group of American law school students and their professors were in Dublin last year at an event attended by legal practitioners, and it was funny to hear them praise Ireland's regulatory response to the financial crisis, and bemoan how weak the US system is too light on white-collar crime and weak ethical practices.

One person pointed out how amazing it was that scams as "obvious" as Enron and the Bernie Madoff scheme went un-noticed for so long by the US authorities. And although many people think the US is tough on white-collar crime, that's probably mostly based on extremely high profile cases like seeing Bernie Madoff in handcuffs. But that was probably the biggest ponzi scheme in history! I'm not convinced that "ordinary" white-collar criminals are treated much differently in Ireland than they are in the USA.

You certainly cannot compare this bunch of minions in Anglo to Bernie Madoff. They weren't even officers of the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I'd say I fare few Greek bankers and politicians could have convictions against them. Would go a great deal in helping them in their present situation. Other than that good news to see fraud cases like this being stamped harshly on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Yeah. It's not like they shot a lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I have a bit of sympathy for those jailed. They had no financial gain and their crime is one of misplaced loyalty to their boss. I would have no such compassion for Seanie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

If people like this are not jailed then others will continue their practices of ducking and diving allegedly at the behest of the higher ups. This jailing is a blow to the culture of enabling white collar crime. Only when that pressure is visibly there will it become more difficult for the higher ups to carry out dubious actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Same way as Bertie Ahern did when he shafted his personal assistant.

Will Sean Fitzpatrick say that this trial will affect his own upcoming one?

You know, prejudice the case and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

He'll probably sleep grand.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    If people like this are not jailed then others will continue their practices of ducking and diving allegedly at the behest of the higher ups. This jailing is a blow to the culture of enabling white collar crime. Only when that pressure is visibly there will it become more difficult for the higher ups to carry out dubious actions.

IMV these are the minnows.

When the big fish are convicted and jailed, I will agree then that white collar crime is seen as serious in this country. Until then, I will be a sceptical fekker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Will Sean Fitzpatrick say that this trial will affect his own upcoming one?

You know, prejudice the case and all that.

He already has.
    http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0731/718484-sean-fitzpatrick-court/

Just fuppin unreal!

Surely they could have arranged for Sean F's trial to happen before the current three amigos.

Smells. But what do I know :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement