Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Study find sexist hiring practices in STEM jobs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

By the time it comes to college it's way too late. Secondary level is probably the most important time to encourage female involvement, possible late primary education. Female role-models interested in STEM, and even more importantly female peers is what is needed. If there's one girl with an interest in, say chemistry, it's important for her to see other her age share a similar interest. There'll always be a certain number of strong-willed children who don't care what others are doing, but there's many more who do, and will ditch their fledgling interest for something more mainstream. It's not about making it pink, it's about allowing it to be something girls pursue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't agree with quotas or anything like that, providing supports and encouragement to explore different options is a different issue.

Its very hard to pinpoint how culture's change in society.

A good example is primary school teaching it had an almost god like status in Irish society at one stage I have even seen graves with ex NT written on the head stone, as the status of primary teaching fell in society the amount of males choosing it as a career fell and its become a largely female profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The problem though, isn't society at large at all. The problem, is a handful of people in society who see a problem where there isn't one. It's literally the fact that other people's career choices are a problem for them, they want other people to be the "solution" to their "problem".

I think you are missing what the problem is. It's not that some people want to choose one thing and others want to choose another, the problem is the why of it. Why do teenage girls not want to study STEM subjects and why do teenage boys not want to go into nursing or teaching.

If it's personal choice then that's that, there is no problem, in that case it could easily be just how people are built. But that's not very likely, it's much more likely that it's a societal influence, and if that's the case then it's wrong. That means it's not personal choice and people are being pressured by society to make the choices that conform to their gender stereotypes.

When I was in secondary school talking to the career guidance councillor was a nightmare. He made me feel bad for wanting to do boy stuff. Conversations with him would always start with him asking if I wanted to do nursing. He was never mean or really negative about it, but it definitely made me feel like an odd ball, I can easily see how others could be turned off at that level. I know it's anecdotal, but it's the same anecdote you'll hear from the thousands of kids of have gone through that particular school with that guidance councillor throughout the years. That was only 10 years ago, not in the 1950's or anything.

I can't say for sure what the issue is, and it's exactly what these types of studies are trying to nail down. But if it is societal pressure then it is something we should be trying to address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why not? Tech is the future and science is the entry level subject for any potential student.

The problem as I see it is science is still an optional subject in a lot of girls only secondary schools but compulsory in mixed or boys only schools, we also have virtually no science program in primary which is a huge issue.

So the trick is to force them into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Gongoozler wrote: »

Why not? We force them to learn Irish, English and Math.

If we have a proper primary science program it might just make the subject more appealing to those at second level.

Are you implying that all subjects in school be optional? Does that extend to primary or just secondary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

If it's personal choice then that's that, there is no problem, in that case it could easily be just how people are built. But that's not very likely, it's much more likely that it's a societal influence, and if that's the case then it's wrong. That means it's not personal choice and people are being pressured by society to make the choices that conform to their gender stereotypes.

it does seem to be a personal choice

there is a very good Norwegian documentary on the subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjernevask

I think its on youtube, don't watch it if you're a feminist or a social justice warrior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

ectoraige wrote: »
    By the time it comes to college it's way too late. Secondary level is probably the most important time to encourage female involvement, possible late primary education. Female role-models interested in STEM, and even more importantly female peers is what is needed. If there's one girl with an interest in, say chemistry, it's important for her to see other her age share a similar interest. There'll always be a certain number of strong-willed children who don't care what others are doing, but there's many more who do, and will ditch their fledgling interest for something more mainstream. It's not about making it pink, it's about allowing it to be something girls pursue.

I'm still struggling with a big why here though. I posted a link a few weeks back that showed that in pretty much every subject bar STEM women grads heavily outnumbered men. There's also a significant, well documented and officially ignored gender achievement gap in favour of girls at second level. To take it further, based on factors including academic prowess, for young single people, i.e. grads etc, the gender pay gap is 17% in favour of women.

So why exactly are we focusing just on stem again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

hopgog wrote: »
    Cause the patriarchy must be destroyed #killallmen

Given up all pretence now, I see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

tritium wrote: »

because the patriarchy

I'm still struggling with a big why here though. I posted a link a few weeks back that showed that in pretty much every subject bar STEM women grads heavily outnumbered men. There's also a significant, well documented and officially ignored gender achievement gap in favour of girls at second level. To take it further, based on factors including academic prowess, for young single people, i.e. grads etc, the gender pay gap is 17% in favour of women.

To be honest I think the focuses is to get more student to study STEM courses both male and female because that is deemed to be good for the economy it is not exclusively about getting female student to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

There's more to life though than science? Geez we can't all be STEM grads. There are careers like art and music and so on that have more to do with encouraging a person who is creative, to be creative (in the artistic sense of the word), and then there are the students who simply have no interest in tech nor science. The phrase "lead a horse to water" comes to mind - you can't make people interested in something that just doesn't interest them.

The focus on these subjects is because that's where long term job growth is anticipated to come from. The problem with modern western economic governance is it is a primarily capitalist, consumerist model which places no intrinsic value to the intangible and largely optional output of the creative fields.

The trope of the 'starving artist' is well established as is 'suffering for your art'. Couple that with modern cynicism surrounding anyone legitmately looking to make a living out of artisitc endeavour (selling out) and you have a large section of potential economic / general human output that is simply considered worthless in monetary terms to the long term economy.

It's a sad fact of modern life that people just don't value creative or artistic activity and we are all partly to blame for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

edition.cnn.com/2015/04/13/opinions/williams-ceci-women-in-science/

It's time more effort is put into getting equal hiring for jobs in science and engineering

90% of Primary School teachers are female.. It's time more effort is put into getting equal hiring for jobs in teaching :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

They allowed Margaret Thatcher to study Chemistry at Oxford and look how that all turned out.

I'm just saying.

Just fine, the sun comes up in the morning and sets in the evening.

Same as it ever was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've been involved a fair bit with intern, and recently grad, recruitment at our place (software dev positions). Less than 10% of CVs received are from women, which roughly seems to correspond with the gender breakdown in the courses.

If you want more women in these professions, you have to start in schools. Banging on about sexism in industry is far too late, as well as being completely misplaced.

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    I can accept a child feeling parental pressure to follow a certain direction but not when an adult becomes a parent and making decisions for their own children.

If you meet an adult that is a racist and homophobic bigot no one gives them a free pass saying it is acceptable because their parents were racist and homophobic bigots, instead they are held accountable for their own actions as they are now adults regardless of what influence their parents had over them as children.

I completely agree!

But parents are sort of able to raise their kids how they like, so it's kind of moot. If they choose to instill gender stereotypes in their children (unconciously or otherwise) there's precious little anyone can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Psychology, and also Biology, used be heavily male-dominated. Now they are almost exclusively female. And that been a change over my working life (30 years).

What has brought about that change?

Psychology, and also Biology, used be heavily male-dominated. Now they are almost exclusively female. And that been a change over my working life (30 years).

What has brought about that change?

Change in status maybe? Apple plus computers and IT in general have changed the perception of what are status jobs, what careers pay the best.

That is never talked about because the narrative is that student choose what they study because of a passionate interested never because its the route to a middle class income and lifestyle.

No, no its not. It's not, nor is it ever time to interfere like this. This type of interfering is sexist, so I don't know how they can justify it. No gender quotas in politics or stem jobs. No.

And I'm an IT qualified female.
    I'd like to know how it's meant to work though, once you have quotas, do you force women into these jobs?

Why shouldn't there be gender quotas in politics? They are a representation of the population so surely it should reflect that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Why shouldn't there be gender quotas in politics? They are a representation of the population so surely it should reflect that

Voting for someone just because they are a man or a woman is sexist.

I don't agree with every man and I don't disagree with every woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

otto_26 wrote: »
    90% of Primary School teachers are female.. It's time more effort is put into getting equal hiring for jobs in teaching :rolleyes:

Imagine the reaction if 90% of primary teachers were male and year on year boys were out-performing girls at school.

(Disclaimer: I'm not saying the 2 facts are related or one a result of the other, but I know if they were reversed it would be a given in the media that they were)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

You are supposed to vote for someones policies not because that person physically represents you.

The below is the ethnicity demographic of Ireland.
    84.5% White Irish
    9.1% Other White
    1.9% Asian / Asian Irish
    1.4% Black / Black Irish
    0.7% White Irish Traveller

If someone told me they believed they should bring in quotas to ensure our government is always made up of 84.5% white irish I would consider that person a racist. Would you support this representation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The focus on these subjects is because that's where long term job growth is anticipated to come from. The problem with modern western economic governance is it is a primarily capitalist, consumerist model which places no intrinsic value to the intangible and largely optional output of the creative fields.

The trope of the 'starving artist' is well established as is 'suffering for your art'. Couple that with modern cynicism surrounding anyone legitmately looking to make a living out of artisitc endeavour (selling out) and you have a large section of potential economic / general human output that is simply considered worthless in monetary terms to the long term economy.

It's a sad fact of modern life that people just don't value creative or artistic activity and we are all partly to blame for that.
    People don't value creative or artistic activity? Why then are so many stars of the entertainment industry millionaires? Why are some of the elite becoming billionaires? People value the arts, just not always the arts you (or I do).

We can probably agree that the Phantom Menace was an awful movie, yet the public at large voted with their wallets and made it a massively successful one. The reality is that the Arts, like everything, is subject to the laws of supply & demand. There was a large demand from the public to see that film, hence it made a fortune. There's not a large demand for the artistic masturbation of many of those living out the "starving artist" trope.

Who wouldn't love to be a rock star, to make a living taking photographs, sketching in a street-side café, writing the great Irish novel etc.? The reality is that far fewer of us have the talent to do so, even fewer have both the talent and the luck to get their break and fewer still capitalise on what chances they do have to make a career out of it.

The ones without the talent are simply deluded idiots (and often painful ones at that). The ones with talent who struggle financially are IME those who think themselves above doing the work that's available to them.

My brother's a fantastically talented musician but while he's not wealthy, he's making a living from it. His band haven't had their "big break" (and may never have it) so they don't turn their nose up at the occasional gig doing covers or playing at ambassadorial events etc. It's not very rock and roll but it keeps the electricity on and diesel in the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I always see a push for more women in STEM.. what about a push for more women in garbage collection or bus driver positions? Those are nearly 100% male dominated. Or, is it because a STEM job is seen as more prestigious? Hmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Because people should get a job based on skills and what they can bring to a job, not simply because they are male or female

Sleepy wrote: »
    People don't value creative or artistic activity? Why then are so many stars of the entertainment industry millionaires? Why are some of the elite becoming billionaires? People value the arts, just not always the arts you (or I do).

That's true of anything though really. The top performers in any area have the potential to become wealthy out of it.

And I would still maintain that people value these things less than they did, hence the massive amount of piracy that goes on. It's mostly treated as a commodity now rather than an art form. Also, I would tend to class most of the above mentioned performers and blockbuster movies as carefully planned marketing activities more than truly artistic endeavours but that's just an opinion.

Also, what of the rest of the arts? Photography, painting, portraiture, sculpture, theatre, opera, ballet etc? How much are they valued by society at large? The supply and demand, as you rightly pointed out, also dictates the level of funding these things get which is why much of the traditional arts are running out of steam. Because they just aren't as relevant anymore.

Anyway this is kind of off topic, but don't get me wrong i'm not exactly a modern day medici by any stretch of the imagination. I was merely making an observation.

Although I don't believe in quotas politics is different you are not guaranteed to get the gig people have to vote for you, therefore if there is a quota of female candidates all you are doing is giving a more balanced representative to vote for nobody would be forcing anyone to vote for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

mariaalice wrote: »
    Although I don't believe in quotas politics is different you are not guaranteed to get the gig people have to vote for you, therefore if there is a quota of female candidates all you are doing is giving a more balanced representative to vote for nobody would be forcing anyone to vote for them.
    In the last election, the group with the least representation of women wasn't any of the parties, it was the independents. Parties are already putting more females than would run 'normally'. Trying to force the parties to up their quota of female candidates even further isn't going to help when (like STEM) theirs simply a shortage of females wishing to enter the field in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Did every single person commenting on this thread NOT read the article?

The bias in hiring is IN FAVOUR of women. Women are being preferred for positions over men *regardless* of qualifications/ability/work ethic/personability/talent and so on, but simply because they're women.

Interestingly, an ongoing OECD study of primary and secondary education shows that males are biased against in schooling from a very young age. Boys are marked lower regardless of ability, they score higher when their exams are anonymised, and they're more likely to be held back a year regardless of ability. http://www.economist.com/news/international/21645759-boys-are-being-outclassed-girls-both-school-and-university-and-gap?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/pe/theweakersex

The ongoing discussion in the thread about the number of girls doing CS is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

And given the relatively higher number of female graduates in most other areas I'm assuming you'll be as vocal in starting a thread to put more effort into removing gender bias there too? Any reason why stem gets everyone's attention?

Humanity lands a space craft on an Asteroid. overshadowed by "OMG that man has women on his shirt".

• Advertisement

Interesting to even look at the headline of that article "boys are being outclassed"... It's entire tone suggests that it's the boys fault that they're getting worse outcomes than the girls rather than any problem with the education system.

floorpie wrote: »
    Did every single person commenting on this thread NOT read the article?

It's rather amusing seeing everyone trip over themselves and reveal that fact though! ;)

Sleepy wrote: »
    Interesting to even look at the headline of that article "boys are being outclassed"... It's entire tone suggests that it's the boys fault that they're getting worse outcomes than the girls rather than any problem with the education system.

Yes! I was going to say the same thing. Every article in mainstream media discussing this gender gap does the same thing and attempts to justify it. The Economist author even supposes that boys get marked lower "because they can be so insufferable", despite this not being suggested by the research. They're writing about gender bias while exhibiting gender bias, it's bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

Blowfish wrote: »
    Have people actually read the article?

Not doing so seems to be a common occurrence around here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If there is 30 students in an engineering class, 29 male, 1 female, all get the same results, the female will be the first to get a job. For whatever reason tech/engineering companies love hiring females.

If there is 30 students in an engineering class, 29 male, 1 female, all get the same results, the female will be the first to get a job. For whatever reason tech/engineering companies love hiring females.

My experience is that tech companies are increasingly more likely to hire females via organisational diversity policies, and are increasingly less likely to hire nerdy males via 'cultural fit' notions. I think males are bound to be excluded in this manner though, when companies like Intel are announcing gender balancing schemes when 30+% of their workforce are already female, in male dominated areas of education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

In spite of this, and unless it's changed since 2013, the average salary a female engineer gets with 2+ years of experience is less than that of a male engineer.

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/chartered-and-energy-engineers-top-engineers-ireland-salary-survey/

(I would link the actual salary survey published by Engineers Ireland but I'm no longer a member :o)

EDIT: Same story in England apparently, even though a lot of companies here are blatantly sexist in their hiring practises, in an effort to get more female engineers. http://www.engc.org.uk/media/149881/2013%20survey%20of%20registered%20engineers%20and%20technicians.pdf

My experience is that tech companies are increasingly more likely to hire females via organisational diversity policies, and are increasingly less likely to hire nerdy males via 'cultural fit' notions. I think males are bound to be excluded in this manner though, when companies like Intel are announcing gender balancing schemes when 30+% of their workforce are already female, in male dominated areas of education.

Seems google are up to it too.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/04/googles-other-moonshot/390558/

Not that i'm complaining. More women in tech would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/04/googles-other-moonshot/390558/

Sick of gender Quotas, That does nothing to get the Right person for the job. Male Female should be paid the same. But if one person has more experience over another then they should be hired.

• Advertisement

In spite of this, and unless it's changed since 2013, the average salary a female engineer gets with 2+ years of experience is less than that of a male engineer.

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/chartered-and-energy-engineers-top-engineers-ireland-salary-survey/

(I would link the actual salary survey published by Engineers Ireland but I'm no longer a member :o)

EDIT: Same story in England apparently, even though a lot of companies here are blatantly sexist in their hiring practises, in an effort to get more female engineers. http://www.engc.org.uk/media/149881/2013%20survey%20of%20registered%20engineers%20and%20technicians.pdf

The pay gap between genders in Ireland is almost entirely down to career breaks for child rearing, according to the ESRI. It's funny though, because commonly cited causes of the pay gap are discriminatory hiring practices, and because of women being less likely to pursue higher education. OP's study contradicts the discriminatory hiring practice suggestion, and your pdf contradicts the higher education theory, with women apparently being more likely to pursue masters and PhDs in engineering in the UK and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/04/googles-other-moonshot/390558/[/url]

Just say you are a pre transition mtf on your cv, it will get you the job, intel and google can't say you don't identify as female even with full facial hair. Bonus you get to use the female loos which are not as busy cause their is a lower amount of women in the factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

The pay gap between genders in Ireland is almost entirely down to career breaks for child rearing, according to the ESRI. It's funny though, because commonly cited causes of the pay gap are discriminatory hiring practices, and because of women being less likely to pursue higher education. OP's study contradicts the discriminatory hiring practice suggestion, and your pdf contradicts the higher education theory, with women apparently being more likely to pursue masters and PhDs in engineering in the UK and Ireland.

Ironically, a lot of the issues around child rearing (and the related pay gap) would be solved if there were better policies for paternity leave and shared parental leave.
    The OP's study shows that there are indeed discriminatory hiring practices, but discriminating against men. The company I work for uses them in their internships, which automatically lead to graduate jobs and are therefore an easy way for women to get in and become permanent employees in a few years. It's ridiculous, really.

The lack of women in engineering essentially comes down to not encouraging girls to study engineering. In my school (yes, Catholic convent all girl school) we were encouraged to become teachers, nurses and beauty therapists. Four girls in my year applied for engineering, including myself, and I was heavily discouraged by my careers counsellor, who tried to convince me to apply for medicine instead. :rolleyes:
    The same could be said about the lack of male nurses, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

nokia69 wrote: »
    it does seem to be a personal choice

there is a very good Norwegian documentary on the subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjernevask

I think its on youtube, don't watch it if you're a feminist or a social justice warrior

Just want to point out to people having this debate that the documentary "Hjernevarsk" absolutely destroys a lot of the so-called logic coming from SJWs and feminists regarding this issue and shows why such social engineering is actually a pointless endeavour.

Really - take the time to watch it; it's only about 35 minutes long and manages to not only explain why there are gender gaps in certain professions, but also shows, quite unnervingly, the tenuous grip on reality that whack-a-loon gender theorists have - especially when confronted with things like facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think you are missing what the problem is. It's not that some people want to choose one thing and others want to choose another, the problem is the why of it. Why do teenage girls not want to study STEM subjects and why do teenage boys not want to go into nursing or teaching.

I think you're actually not giving young people enough credit for the fact that they have minds of their own, and even though you say you're an anecdotal example, you're an example that completely disproves your own assertion that young people are being pressured in any way by society at least career wise. I mean, you say it's not likely that it's personal choice, and yet, below, you yourself are a perfect example of how it is indeed ultimately personal choice. You admit it could be "just how people are built", and then you say it's not very likely, because now, ten years later, you're suggesting that you were pressured into going down another career path at the time, but you didn't?

You're basically contradicting your own point?

Either that, or I really am missing something! :confused:

When I was in secondary school talking to the career guidance councillor was a nightmare. He made me feel bad for wanting to do boy stuff. Conversations with him would always start with him asking if I wanted to do nursing. He was never mean or really negative about it, but it definitely made me feel like an odd ball, I can easily see how others could be turned off at that level. I know it's anecdotal, but it's the same anecdote you'll hear from the thousands of kids of have gone through that particular school with that guidance councillor throughout the years. That was only 10 years ago, not in the 1950's or anything.

I can't say for sure what the issue is, and it's exactly what these types of studies are trying to nail down. But if it is societal pressure then it is something we should be trying to address.

Your experience in this regard is actually far from anecdotal. Unfortunately in far too many schools in this country we don't have enough careers guidance counsellors who are actually committed enough to inform themselves sufficiently to be able to advise students properly. Career guidance is usually given by a teacher in their free period who just happens to be the only one in the staff room familiar with a computer. They're insufficiently trained in giving career guidance to students, and it's a shame that most schools don't have the resources to get in someone with experience in the HR and recruitment industry.

If you think it was bad that your options were limited to nursing, I had to sit across from my biology teacher (I took biology for the leaving as well as physics, meant I couldn't do history, 'twas the way the blocks were structured), a good five minute silence before he takes a big sigh and says -

"I don't know what you're going to do!" :pac:

I knew what I wanted to do though since I was 12 years of age and I told my mother that "computers are the paper and pencil of tomorrow", she laughed before she said "you could join the priesthood, or be a doctor, or a teacher?"... :pac:

Nope, I was pretty set on what I wanted to do from an early age, and that was 25 years ago when I was 12, and IT was really in it's infancy, whereas now STEM is so much more vast and there are numerous careers available.

You only had to visit the Young Scientist Exhibition a few months back to see that both girls and boys are pretty much equal in terms of their interest in all areas of science from Agricultural to Social and Behavioural Sciences, not just STEM.

The problem really isn't so much down to social pressure as these studies are trying to make out, but simply down to people choosing their own career paths. The only people who have an issue with that are the people who want to engineer a solution to a problem that actually doesn't exist, well, at least not externally anyway. The problem isn't "society", the problem is the handful of individuals within that society that aren't happy with other people's choices. You really didn't need a study to tell you that though.

I think you're actually not giving young people enough credit for the fact that they have minds of their own, and even though you say you're an anecdotal example, you're an example that completely disproves your own assertion that young people are being pressured in any way by society at least career wise. I mean, you say it's not likely that it's personal choice, and yet, below, you yourself are a perfect example of how it is indeed ultimately personal choice. You admit it could be "just how people are built", and then you say it's not very likely, because now, ten years later, you're suggesting that you were pressured into going down another career path at the time, but you didn't?

You're basically contradicting your own point?

Either that, or I really am missing something! :confused:

I am a statistical anomaly, that is true no matter what the reason actually is.

As I said it's speculation so you can choose to believe whatever you like, but I find it hard to believe that regularly being told you are expected to go into nursing or other stereo typically female roles, especially, if like a lot of young people, you have no idea yourself what you want to do isn't going to effect some people.

People's choices are shaped by their environment, that's a fact. To what degree tho we can't say for sure. But stating choices such as career might be more environmental than biological is not "not giving young people enough credit".

• Advertisement

They're insufficiently trained in giving career guidance to students, and it's a shame that most schools don't have the resources to get in someone with experience in the HR and recruitment industry.
    I agree with the thrust of most of your post but you're quite wrong here HR staff are invariably the morons who couldn't handle any of the company's actual work (it was even obvious in college that those majoring in HR were the ones who simply couldn't handle the Finance & Accounting, Economics, IS or Marketing streams...) and recruitment agents are, for better or worse, hard-necked salespeople so neither would be any use in career guidance. It's a fairly specialised skill and one best done by someone with a background in psychology / counselling rather than a HR drone or, as is usually the case, a teacher qualified in academic subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭SeanW

Do you also want quotas for women in fields like garbage collection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

unfortunately we live in a democracy. gender quotas are decidedly undemocratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

unfortunately we live in a democracy. gender quotas are decidedly undemocratic.

Intel have a place in Ireland and have gender quotas, why is that allowed, why is that not undemocratic?

fortune.com/2015/01/12/intel-diversity/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Intel have a place in Ireland and have gender quotas, why is that allowed, why is that not undemocratic?

fortune.com/2015/01/12/intel-diversity/

what does this have to do with democracy? I have no idea why it is allowed. but its not relevant to anything i said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement