Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A hub, some network cards and a Fantantrbulos Flying Machine.

Options
  • 13-07-1999 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Olla,

Last weekend myself and some friends had a little LAN, nothing big only about 7 PCs.

However during this LAN we came to the conclusion that we need to invest in a hub and some 100MB a sec. network cards because dasiy chaining 10mb a sec. cards is causing waaayyyyy too much lag.

So, what does this have to do with any of you good ppl, well im sre some of you are rather well connected in the hardware area and i was wondering if anyone could give us a good deal on a hub or network cards?

Any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

10 meg cards and a 10meg hub is all ya need for gaming, not worth the extra investment for a 100 meg hub just to play the odd game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Myself and a few of the lads have about the same as you 6-8 pc's and 10 meg cards. But I never notice any lag. The what protocals are you using have installed?

KaYoS

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmmm,

A 10BT Network is ideal for a lan of that size. QP was run on a 10bt Network with hubs daisychained (ie no switch, well as far as rememeber anyway tongue.gif)Were u using a server, maybe it was too low spec to handle the game. Also check the NIC's you have are full duplex that would also make a small difference.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I took a look into it, we are useing TCP/IP. The main game I noticed lag on was galf-life (latest version) although i'm starting to think it may have been the servers fault.

Still, I think its high time I invested in a hub at least, even if I do keep the 10mb a sec cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

isn't a 100Mbs hub a bit far out of the ordinary price range anyway?
    thought they were bout 250 quid or summat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The main thing you need to speed up a network is a router and for 100meg cards these are damn expensive. four figures I think. You can get a cheap 10 meg hub in a bowed set these days. Where I work we have mini hubs which take 6 connections there about the size of your hand and there fairly cool.

Advertisement