Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Your father works for my father'

• 24-02-2020 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭

This gave me a laugh. It looks like the Blackrock boys are 'sending it' again and its going to be total and utter cornage.
    Next week’s Leinster Schools Senior Cup semi-finals will take place in front of an expectant crowd of thousands of students, past pupils and spectators. However, much of the focus at the rugby games will be on what is happening in the stands rather than on the pitch.

After recent matches in the competition the Leinster branch of the Irish Rugby Football Union issued a letter to schools warning about drinking and anti-social behaviour involving past pupils, as well as derogatory name-calling from the stands.

“We have been advised and have received representation from the Garda that we are at the point now where action must be taken when incidents occur,” the letter stated.

In a subsequent Irish Times article, former international referee Owen Doyle described his disgust at what he saw on the stands during school matches.

He said there were chants from some groups of supporters, such as “your father works for my father” and “we pay fees”, and verbal abuse of volunteer match officials and schoolboy players on the pitch.

I must say I got a laugh out of the thought of one set of privileged kids singing 'your father works for my father' to another set of privileged kids. They're just having a laugh but the rugby fraternity has gone into a tizzy over it with letters and Garda threats now issued. Rugby supporters behaving like those awful soccer yobs and having a laugh is clearly a big no-no

And then theres this gem-
    Some past pupils gathered in groups, dressed to intimidate, heads covered with hoodies.

Word of warning now folks, if you show up to a rugby match in the wind and rain in winter and wear a hoody to keep warm then you too could be labelled as "dressed to intimidate" :pac:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/anti-social-chants-bringing-sour-note-to-schools-rugby-1.4182600

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

posh kids are knobs shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

C'mon the 'Rock.

Roysh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Bread line!

Blackrock were knocked out by a bunch of upstarts fairly in the competition this year.

Something that pretty much every other team in the competition laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I'm disgusted by the flagrant sexism. Do the mothers not work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'm disgusted by the flagrant sexism. Do the mothers not work?

Yore mater?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This was a non-story when it came out a week, or so, ago. And these “chants” are nothing new, they were, even, sang in my time

It’s just a bit of “banter” between rivals. Obviously the ‘Your Father Works for my Father’ is sang between, say, Blackrock and Belvedere. They wouldn’t sing it at lesser rugby schools, or Vinnie Murray types. It’s just a little joke. Might be taken a little too seriously when directed at Terenure though.

As for the ‘Fees’ one? Well, yeah, you’d hear that one sang at Templeogue, Newbridge, Wesley, De la Salle and other non-fee paying schools. But, really, you’re not seeing too many of them past the first round.

It’s very surprising that this guy claims he’s never heard the likes of it before if he’s been around the “game” for so long.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Do you like wuby dohhh ya

I don't like wuby

Why don't you like wuby...

Because I don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I thought it was a bit ridiculous that the Irish Times had a huge piece about this in their Education supplement. There's so much more going on, I don't understand why this was considered newsworthy nevermind worthy of a lengthy article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Lux23 wrote: »
    I thought it was a bit ridiculous that the Irish Times had a huge piece about this in their Education supplement. There's so much more going on, I don't understand why this was considered newsworthy nevermind worthy of a lengthy article.

That doesn't surprise me to be honest.

Wuby and good education goes well together.

Some of the thickest gombeens I went to school with were good with the egg.
    In fairness great Wuby players but as thick as Sh1t

They spoke like Patrick out of Sponge Bob, and slagging off people who didn't like Wuby...

How they got degrees in University is perplexing.

• Advertisement

Because it generates clicks from people with chips on their shoulders about the types in these articles.

For example I see one school mentioned several times already in thread which wasn’t even implicated in the above story, but it’s just the one most people know so may as well tar them as well.

You regularly will see awful abuse directed at referees and players from both supporters and parents in Dublin Schoolboy soccer, but that brand of “thuggery” as these articles would say doesn’t matter apparently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I agree 100%, but the Irish Times will be very very mindful of their readership, most of which is in the so-called ABC1 socio-economic group who tend to send their kids to fee-paying schools - many of which play rugby in the schools rugby tournaments.

If you look at the sports coverage in the IT, rugby is dominant over football which is the reverse in pretty much all the other daily papers and of course in wider society in general.

They know which side their bread is buttered on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The fact that there has been more written about some pathetic weak chants at underage rugby matches, than about riots following a League of Ireland match, says volumes.

There is a level of classism in the Irish media that is always there and it tries to deny.

But it sometimes comes out in clear examples, like this one.

Fighting and shouting and destruction of property, we expect from those animals who watch professional soccer. But incivility in the stands of secondary school rugby? Well I never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This was a non-story when it came out a week, or so, ago. And these “chants” are nothing new, they were, even, sang in my time

It’s just a bit of “banter” between rivals. Obviously the ‘Your Father Works for my Father’ is sang between, say, Blackrock and Belvedere. They wouldn’t sing it at lesser rugby schools, or Vinnie Murray types. It’s just a little joke. Might be taken a little too seriously when directed at Terenure though.

As for the ‘Fees’ one? Well, yeah, you’d hear that one sang at Templeogue, Newbridge, Wesley, De la Salle and other non-fee paying schools. But, really, you’re not seeing too many of them past the first round.

It’s very surprising that this guy claims he’s never heard the likes of it before if he’s been around the “game” for so long.
    At least one of those is a fee paying school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Ya see, this is why I hate Rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

seamus wrote: »
    The fact that there has been more written about some pathetic weak chants at underage rugby matches, than about riots following a League of Ireland match, says volumes.

There is a level of classism in the Irish media that is always there and it tries to deny.

But it sometimes comes out in clear examples, like this one.

Fighting and shouting and destruction of property, we expect from those animals who watch professional soccer. But incivility in the stands of secondary school rugby? Well I never!

Riots lol. Over exaggerating more like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't understand the dislike some people have for people who went/go to private schools, they will pay a shed load of tax when they start working and contribute to the country in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Don't understand the dislike some people have for people who went/go to private schools, they will pay a shed load of tax when they start working and contribute to the country in a good way.

Because some of them act like arses? What has paying tax got to do with anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

Rugby **** acting like **** shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

B A N T Z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

B A N T Z

Banter is usually very unflattering in retrospect though.

I would also say a gracious person might be a lot less fun to hang around in the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

School sport has chant

People get offended

Boo hoo

People really need to get a life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Disgraceful behaviours using words like that, can they not follow the lead of LoI, arrange fights and put each other in hospital?

The big deal made out of this last week was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    School sport has chant

People get offended

Boo hoo

People really need to get a life

everywhere we go
    people get offended
    by who we are
    and where we come from
    and we always tell them
    'your dad works for my dad'
    mighty mighty banter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Aegir wrote: »
    Blackrock were knocked out by a bunch of upstarts fairly in the competition this year.

Something that pretty much every other team in the competition laughed at.

Upstarts is an interesting term for Gonzaga, certainly it would have a history as a more academic and likely more “elite” school than Blackrock - the Jesuits rather than the Hoky Ghosts.

I’ve heard Gonzaga’s recent success in the Senior Cup as attributed to links with Lansdowne and coaching. Equally I’ve heard it suggested that it’s down to dropping an entrance exam and allowing in more rugby targets than academically gifted pupils!

Advertisement