Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy water pump

Options
  • 28-03-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all.
    As anyone else got a really noisy water pump?
    Im in a 2 bed apartment and was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and solved it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

robbie_d wrote: »
    Hi all.
    As anyone else got a really noisy water pump?
    Im in a 2 bed apartment and was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and solved it?

Thanks in advance.

Same here mate in a 3 bed semi. Its sooooo loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Ours is so loud that it would wake people up when someone went to the bathroom and used the basin tap in the middle of the night. So we had a plumber disconnect the basins so only the showers use the pump now.

Putting some kind of thick rubber under it might help, but I'm not sure how else to dampen the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 robbie_d

Thanks.
    Apologies for my plumbing ignorance but how does the basin work if not hooked up to the pump?Is it just a case of the water being weaker when coming out of the tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Before we bought our 2 bed house the previous owners disconnected all the pumps except the shower one but we are thinking of getting them back in.

Our hot water spurts out of our tap and generally soaks the entire kitchen. It either soaks the place or won't come on at all. We were told when we were buying the place that the pumps were installed to fix this.

Does anyone else have this problem? Not sure which would be more annoying, the taps how they work now, or a noisy pump! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

What model of Pump is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

audreyp wrote: »
    Before we bought our 2 bed house the previous owners disconnected all the pumps except the shower one but we are thinking of getting them back in.

Our hot water spurts out of our tap and generally soaks the entire kitchen. It either soaks the place or won't come on at all. We were told when we were buying the place that the pumps were installed to fix this.

Does anyone else have this problem? Not sure which would be more annoying, the taps how they work now, or a noisy pump! :-(

If possible look at this system or something similar.

Pricey but we managed to get rid of all the pumps in a flat we manage with two of these tanks

audreyp wrote: »

Our did the spurting and spraying WITH the pumps hooked up. These were the upstairs basins though. The kitchen sink was never hooked up to the pump, the idea being that taps downstairs would benefit from the force of gravity in terms of water pressure and flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Our pump can be switched off, so I leave it on for showers etc, but turn it off at night.

Thanks.
    Apologies for my plumbing ignorance but how does the basin work if not hooked up to the pump?Is it just a case of the water being weaker when coming out of the tap?

Yes. With the pumps, our upstairs bathroom basin taps had too much pressure and in addition to being really loud, sprayed everywhere.

We had the plumber change it so they didn't use the pump, and the water does come out much slower but we find it is adequate for the basins. As I said, we still use the pump for the showers -- not giving that up.

Hi beach babe.what type of pump do u have?if I could switch it on and off as I please then it would make a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I can switch my pump on and off, but it means I would have to go into the attic! wonder if I could get a switch put in the bathroom? was thinking of even putting a soundproof box around it....redic noise !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

So there is no solution for the crazy spurty taps?! Everytime we use our kitchen sink after about 20 seconds water stops and spurts out soaking the place. We are so fed up with it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

For anyone living in the first phase of Charlesland Wood, Ballymore originally re-plumbed all the houses due to very low water pressure in the upstairs bathroom. The water pressure from the taps was so bad it would take 3 or 4 minutes to fill the sink for a shave in the morning.
    The re-plumbed solution meant that all cold & hot water feeds were passed through the power shower pump. This includes your upstairs & downstairs toilets, washing machine & dishwasher if you have one.

After many complaints back to Ballymore about the unacceptable noise levels, Ballymore finally admitted that the wrong taps had been fitted to the upstairs bathrooms in the first place and promptly replaced them. The water pressure from the taps is now fine and the only time our pump is in use is for the main power shower.

The original taps were for high pressure fed systems only, this is fine if you live in a fully pumped house or an apartment complex but the immersion tanks, toilets, sinks & baths in normal houses here are gravity fed from the tank in the attic.

It is a very simple fix for a plumber to undo the botch pipe work carried out by Ballymore if it has not been done. Replacing the taps should be done though & I doubt you would get Ballymore to undertake this work at this stage (6 years on)

The quick & easy fix for anyone who has a shower pump in the hot press / airing cupboard is to have an on/off rocker switch fitted to the power point for the pump. This is a very cheap and easy way to solve the noise issue. You basically only switch on the pump when you really need it, i.e. to fill the bath or sink or have a power shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Hi beach babe.what type of pump do u have?if I could switch it on and off as I please then it would make a big difference.

I got an electrician to install a switch that allows me to turn the pump on & off. Handy when you just want to brush your teeth at 7am without waking up the neighbourhood! You can get this done for €40 max. I only turn the pump on now when I need a shower. By the way, my brother-in-law's pump went yesterday & he was quoted €1,150 + VAT to replace it and it's only 3 years old! Crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

That's crazy money. The most the pump should cost is €500, then you need to pay to have it fitted. A decent plumber will get the pump cheaper than retail prices and fitting should not cost much if it's a straight replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we moved elsewhere in the town to a house with no pump, & the pressure in the taps and the shower is fine. Plus the hot water lasts much much longer (in Charlesland it was touch and go as to whether both of us could have a shower in the morning before the water ran out - it has never run out on us in the new place, despite the cylinder being the same size).

The pumps are noisy, they waste water and electricity and it seems they're unnecessary if the house has been plumbed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Robbie, The pump has no switch, it was installed seperately, sorry:o

Thanks all for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Niamh35

I have a switch in my hot press that switches it off. So I only use it when having a shower.

Not sure if all the houses have it though, as my neighbours don't and the pump drives me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

Sorry, to pop up months later than last post but was just researching help on this issue. We just now are helping elderly aunt redo bathroom, and plumber suggested we have pump installed next to new larger hot water cylinder in upstairs closet (hot press?). In USA we don't generally need pumps at all, so we are clueless.

We weren't around today while he finished and returned to find absolutely horrendous noise when using all hot water taps, upstairs cold taps, upstairs toilets, etc. This is unbelieveable. Sounds as if 20 drills are being used throughout house. How could anyone sleep or even work through this?

Please tell me this isn't the only solution for a powerful shower? We weren't having any pressure problems with regular water use through taps or when using ensuite power shower. However, we already had found the ceiling vent (fan) and power shower in ensuite to be annoyingly loud when using early a.m.

Are there no silent solutions to the water pressure problem? Reading all the posts it sounds as if, even if we only turn on for showering, we'll have this terrible noise every time? Is this correct? Please advise as I'll need to have this all pulled out again if no solution. Can't imagine putting up with that at any time night or day. Poor elderly father will go batty listening to that!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Edit: Found soundproofing suggestion in other thread posting: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57054456

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Wurley

Hi, I know this is thread is years old but just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I live in an apartment and since the new owner refurbished the noise levels have gone through the roof esp the pump and I can actually hear the water tank refill. I never had this issue previously. The other residents were above me for over 8 years and I hardly ever heard them. I’ve gone through management company and called into them and I’m not getting anywhere. Has anyone ever had a similar issue and got any positive results. I’ve heard you can contact someone from the hse about noise pollution but can’t find the relevant link. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement