Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tom Tom Start 25- Full Europe Maps€89.99 WAS €129.99 - Halfords

Options
  • 07-06-2014 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on HKUD and available in Irish stores. I just reserved for Blanchardstown. There are 13 left in Blanch

£79 or €89 so a good deal for us here.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_817867_langId_-1_categoryId_212513

Also has lifetime maps
    TomTom Start 25 Europe Sat Nav

Whether you're driving familiar roads or venturing somewhere new, the TomTom Start 25 Europe gives you peace of mind. Start 25 the best device in its league, and surprisingly easy to use. High quality maps on the Start larger screen & trust it to guide you safely through complex junctions for a confident drive. Covers 45 European Countries including Eastern Europe

TomTom Start 25 Europe Sat Nav Extra Info

• 5" touch screen navigation at your fingertips
    • Advanced lane guidance gives you extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions
    • Provides spoken street names
    • Rely on detailed maps with rich maps
    • Easy access to preselected frequent destinations
    • Navigate to nearby parking with parking assist
    • Reliable arrival times with IQ Routes
    • Covers Europe including Eastern Europe
    Whats in the box

• TomTom Start 25 device
    • USB Car charger
    • USB cable
    • Documentation
    Additional Information

Maps of Europe 45 countries

TomTom Start 25 comes pre loaded with a maps of Europe 45 countries.
    Countries covered :- AD, AT, BE, BG, CH, DE, DK, EE, ES, FI, FR, GB, GI, GR, HR, HU, IE, IT, LI, LT, LU, LV, MC, MT, NL, NO, PL, PT, RU, SE, SK, SL, SM, TR, VA & main roads of AL, BA, BY, MD, ME, MK, ML, RO, SP, UA. - Other country maps are available on www.tomtom.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Saw this on HKUD and available in Irish stores. I just reserved for Blanchardstown. There are 13 left in Blanch

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_817867_langId_-1_categoryId_212513

Also has lifetime maps

Whether you're driving familiar roads or venturing somewhere new, the TomTom Start 25 Europe gives you peace of mind. Start 25 the best device in its league, and surprisingly easy to use. High quality maps on the Start larger screen & trust it to guide you safely through complex junctions for a confident drive. Covers 45 European Countries including Eastern Europe

• Advanced lane guidance gives you extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions
    Whats in the box

• TomTom Start 25 device
    • USB Car charger
    • USB cable
    • Documentation
    Additional Information

Countries covered :- AD, AT, BE, BG, CH, DE, DK, EE, ES, FI, FR, GB, GI, GR, HR, HU, IE, IT, LI, LT, LU, LV, MC, MT, NL, NO, PL, PT, RU, SE, SK, SL, SM, TR, VA & main roads of AL, BA, BY, MD, ME, MK, ML, RO, SP, UA. - Other country maps are available on www.tomtom.com

But no Bluetooth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

Also has lifetime maps

Whats in the box

• TomTom Start 25 device
    • USB Car charger
    • USB cable
    • Documentation
    Additional Information

Good spot. Here is the same one on amazon for £112.57. Reserved one there in liffey valley

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Start-Maps-Lifetime-Updates/dp/B00AILGDQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402181662&sr=8-1&keywords=Tom+Tom+Start+25+Full+Europe+Map

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have one. Brilliant SatNav. Free for life updates are worth the asking alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

whiterebel wrote: »

I might be missing something, but it's the TomTom Start 25m at €149 which is flagged as having free lifetime maps.
    The Start 25 at €89 says nothing about free updates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I might be missing something, but it's the TomTom Start 25m at €149 which is flagged as having free lifetime maps.
    The Start 25 at €89 says nothing about free updates...

Click on the link provided by the OP
    Also has lifetime maps

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Click on the link provided by the OP

Yes, that links to a post saying the Start 25 EU has free maps, but the two versions I linked to on the Halfords site seem to be the same device, just that the €149 version is being advertised as having the free maps, while the €89 version is not.

I just wanted confirmation that it is possible to get the free maps at the cheaper price - great if so, but why are Halfords listing it in 2 versions, one with and one without free lifetime updates?

edit: from the HUKD site, the people getting the updates seemed to get the Start 25M version, which is €149 on the website, so I'm wary of getting the cheaper version in case the offer won't work with it..
    hukd wrote:
    When I asked if this model has lifetime map updates the man immediately said "yes" - no looking up on internet required. When I asked "even though it doesn't have it in the description" he pointed to the "M" after the 25. It will also say on the box "FREE LIFETIME MAPS".

Other people on hukd haven't been able to get the updates, as their serial number was blocked on Tom Tom's website - that's why I'm wary of the cheaper model not being part of this offer
    hukd wrote:
    I bought mine on 3rd June so should be able to register as it's within the date TomTom mention on their site
    But it doesn't seem to want to accept my serial number - anyone managed this yet?

edit 2: and from the reviews on Halfords of the cheaper version:
    After wasting the best part of a day trying to register for free lifetime maps I have still not been able to get an activation code. Not going to waste any more time, will try and get my money back.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I just wanted confirmation that it is possible to get the free maps at the cheaper price - great if so, but why are Halfords listing it in 2 versions, one with and one without free lifetime updates?

The 25M already comes with free lifetime maps as standard, so it'd seem odd for them to run a time-limited promotion offering that very same feature. That's what'd make me think it relates to the cheaper unit tbh.

There's a Cust. Service number for TomTom on the OP's link, so t'd be worth speaking to them to clear up any ambiguity.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The 25M already comes with free lifetime maps as standard, so it'd seem odd for them to run a time-limited promotion offering that very same feature. That's what'd make me think it relates to the cheaper unit tbh.

There's a Cust. Service number for TomTom on the OP's link, so t'd be worth speaking to them to clear up any ambiguity.

Ah, now that sounds logical:)

Just called my local Halfords and they have the leaflet for the lifetime maps in-store, and the guy assured me it's valid with this model.

Reserved one for collection - thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Honestly didn't think people bought Satnavs anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Etnies wrote: »
    Honestly didn't think people bought Satnavs anymore

It's now illegal to access data on your phone while driving so I can see them coming back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

It's now illegal to access data on your phone while driving so I can see them coming back again.

Yea true but it's also illegal to adjust the satnav when driving too isn't it? So same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Etnies wrote: »
    Yea true but it's also illegal to adjust the satnav when driving too isn't it? So same boat.

Most Sat Navs don't allow you adjust them whilst moving anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

A staff member in halfords checked this for me this morning - she says this model does NOT include lifetime maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

The free for life is only free for supported life time of the unit, not until you or it keels over.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

Was. Just in halfords doesn't include free updates so I opted for a Garmin nuvi with half price case!! Stupid bargain alerts didn't know I needed a new Sat nav till I read this this morn;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bromley52 wrote: »
    The free for life is only free for supported life time of the unit, not until you or it keels over.

I don't remember saying that they lasted for my lifetime......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

I don't remember saying that they lasted for my lifetime......

I didn't say you did.

Quackles wrote: »
    A staff member in halfords checked this for me this morning - she says this model does NOT include lifetime maps.

...not as standard, no.

That's why you apply the promotion to avail of the lifetime add-on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88236512@N03/14360511314/

Quackles wrote: »

Bit of confusion about this, but my local halfords has the leaflets to say that it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Bought this, guy said no lifetime maps, showed him this:

14360511314_70215443fd_z.jpg

Said he would phone Tomtom if I could not get it done myself.

Came home and logged on to:

tomtom.com/map-promotion

which forwards to:

http://www.tomtompromotion.com/maps/

Pick Ireland, says

Participating Products

GO LIVE 1005 World (Lifetime Maps on EU map only)
    GO LIVE 1005
    GO LIVE 825
    GO LIVE 820

Pick UK, says

Participating Products

Via 135 UK & ROI (Purchased from Halfords between 10th April and 30th June 2014)
    GO LIVE 1005 World (Lifetime Maps on EU map only)
    GO LIVE 1005 EU
    GO LIVE 825
    GO LIVE 820
    Start 25 EU (Purchased between 13th May 2014 – 5th June 2014 – HALFORDS STORES ONLY)

Website says up until last Thursday night the Halfords Start 25 EU was covered.

Image above says 7th July?

Anyone go a copy of the leaflet from Halfords or a source for the image above?

I am going to ring them in the morning.

If you can get Lifetime updates for free it is an amazing deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

But no Bluetooth :(

thanks.

Anyone get an answer on this?

Looks like the gang on HKUD had similar issues with the life time maps

Did anyone get the €10 from tomtom or an activation code or even an initial email.

I got neither:confused:

Halfords in Blanch told me the lifetime maps was active but its not showing on the tomtom site. Did anyone get a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

bromley52 wrote: »

Can you clarify what you mean please and what you're basing this on. Thanks.

Can you clarify what you mean please and what you're basing this on. Thanks.

its the same as having windows XP. Its still in use but not supported by microsoft anymore.
    Hope this explains it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

its the same as having windows XP...

Yes I know what support is but are you saying something specific about Tomtom maps and what are you basing it on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Bough in Halfords for €89.

Rang TomTom on 1890 812 008.

Said I need help setting up.

Gave serial and they talked me thru it. (foolproof with MyDrive, just wanted to create a connection with the person)

Got 4Gb of updates, latest map, speed cameras etc.

Said to the girl I had lifetime maps.

She requested a photo of the receipt and the box with lifetime maps on it.

Told her I had a copy of a leaflet entitling me to it instead.

No problem she said, she emailed me on my TomTom account address after the call, I replied with the two images, (the receipt and this one)

14360511314_70215443fd_z.jpg

Received this about two hours later:

TomTom: Lifetime Maps. [Incident:xxxxxx-xxxxxx]

TomTom Support Team

TomTom: Lifetime Maps.

Dear Mr Garrad,

The reference number for your query is xxxxxx-xxxxxx.

Thank you for providing us the Proof of Purchase and the picture.

We have successfully assigned the Free Lifetime Maps to your account.

If you have any more queries please feel free to call us on 1890 812 008 or simply reply back to this e-mail.
    Our working hours are Monday to Friday between 9:00am to 5:30 pm.

Please do not hesitate, I will always be happy to assist you.

With Kind Regards
    Monica M.
    Customer Service Representative

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Good little satnav for €90 with lifetime maps for 45 countries is great value.

I was just into Tom Tom (spoke to a very helpful girl) and said I needed help getting the lifetime maps assigned to my account. Didn't say I bought it in Halfords

I gave her my email and serial number , I had set up an account and she assigned it over the phone without the need for receipts .

I had a 90 days maps set up on registration and the lifetime maps will kick in afterwards.

see below

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

The reference number for your query is xxxxxxxxx.

Thank you for your phone call earlier today. This is Stephy following up on our telephonic conversation.

I am pleased to inform you that Lifetime Map Update Service for Europe Maps has been successfully activated on your device.

You will now receive 4 Maps every year (1 every quarter). You will also receive e-mails from TomTom every time new Maps are released or in case of any Map Updates.

However there is a 90 days map update service which is active on your device and will expire on the 2014-09-11, so the lifetime map service will get automatically resumed on the same day i;e 2014-09-11.

In order to update and install maps on your device all what you need to do is connect your device to the computer and update it.

I have also mentioned a User Guide for you in the adjacent link so that you should not have problems using your device: TomTom User Guide Start 25

It was a pleasure talking to you.

Incase of any further assistance please feel free to contact me. Drive safe and have a wonderful day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

haven't used a sat nav before, what is the disadvantage with it not having bluetooth??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

bungaro79 wrote: »
    haven't used a sat nav before, what is the disadvantage with it not having bluetooth??

There aren't any disadvantages, if you just need a sat nav to get you from A to B - the Halfords €89.99 TomTom Start 25 is brilliant value. The only advantage of having bluetooth is if you want to connect your smartphone to the sat nav so you can read out text messages etc while you're driving, or if your car isn't equiped with a hands-free phone kit.

I've had bluetooth on older sat navs and never used it. Call me old fashioned but I like my sat nav to get me to A to B, and I leave my smartphone take care of everything else! :D

Advertisement