Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow rear number plate (Mod Note Post #169)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

fin12 wrote: »
    No why would I be happy with the Union Jack, what are u actually on about?

The red cross on it symbolizes Ireland does that make it OK with you? Much the same with orange should make it OK with unionists?

I read the reason for yellow rear is

'you [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]can tell at a glance whether they are approaching or moving away.'[/FONT]
    [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Also the number can be read at a greater distance due to the better contrast combination to the human eye.
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

saabsaab wrote: »
    The red cross on it symbolizes Ireland does that make it OK with you? Much the same with orange should make it OK with unionists?

No it doesn’t make it ok with me, it’s a rotten flag.

So ur idea of a United ireland is the 32 counties under a Union Jack. So ur basically a unionist living in the south or the west.

No it doesn’t make it ok with me, it’s a rotten flag.

So ur idea of a United ireland is the 32 counties under a Union Jack. So ur basically a unionist living in the south or the west.

Not what I said at all, at all. A new flag would be needed. I was just pointing out the flaw in your reasoning that the tri colour should be OK with unionists because it has orange.

Not what I said at all, at all. A new flag would be needed. I was just pointing out the flaw in your reasoning that the tri colour should be OK with unionists because it has orange.

I don’t give a **** what the unionist would be ok with cause I wouldn’t want them part of our country in any shape or form.

• Advertisement

I don’t give a **** what the unionist would be ok with cause I wouldn’t want them part of our country in any shape or form.

So you are in a 26 county mindset and one who doesn't want a united Ireland.

So you are in a 26 county mindset and one who doesn't want a united Ireland.

No I’d like a 27 one, add Derry. Anyway I’m not interested in discussing this further cause it’s about yellow rear plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

....yeah, let's get back to the plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Have a look at a Facebook page called Cherry Spec, some of cars would make your skin crawl they are so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Tis weird alright. My sister and a lot of people I know in Donegal just think it looks 'class'.

I don't think it has any deeper political or logical reason than that.

They are illegal of course but no-one bothers- they switch them out for the nct and then all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Do u even know what the Irish flag stands for the green is the republic, white is the peace between and the orange is the north, so no the flag would not change as it represents both sides.

Not correct.

Green represents the catholic population of the Island, orange for the protestant poulation and white for the unity of both sides of the religious divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Has anyone seen the tiny N plates? I think I saw a tiny L plate as well lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Not correct.

Green represents the catholic population of the Island, orange for the protestant poulation and white for the unity of both sides of the religious divide.

A big fat NO.

Ones religion is not included in the Tricolour.
    Green = Nationalist tradition, Orange = Orange tradition, White = peace between the two.

Religion has many crossovers between the two colours, like many many Protestants are not of the Orange tradition, many Catholics are Unionist, many Prods Narionalist etc.

Yellow is not even on the flag!

...mind you, if we get many more yellow plates down here then maybe the Orange should be replaced with Yellow, to reflect growing preference for yellow (plates) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

God be with the 90's and falling out of the Grill in Letterkenny only to see Vauxhall Nova's all over the place and yellow southern reg number plates...

It was all brand new to me being a resident of Sir Henry's in Cork the home of Deep house music on the most western Isle of the Atlantic.
    To experience the hard house beats from the Tribes of the north, and those Derry maidens who traversed the border's to dance the night away in the Grill...

And the Nordies flying through the night in their Vauxhall Nova's...

Memories....

Good times, although I preferred Sir Henry's , it was much cooler than the Grill...

Excuse the pun...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Can we get back on topic of Number plates please, any off topic chat from this post onwards will result in sanctions.

I see the new one with this crowd is to remove the front number plate and either have it on the dash or just leave it off altogether. very cheeky in my opinion, asking for trouble with the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

pgj2015 wrote: »
    remove the front number plate

What is that all about, why? One of my neighbors has had no front reg for about 2 years now. Always wondered why.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What is that all about, why? One of my neighbors has had no front reg for about 2 years now. Always wondered why.
    M50 toll camera ?`

Safer than driving up the arse of an artic just as you arrive at the camera.

Though I think they have extra cameras nowadays.

Could be to avoid the speed camera vans but id say most of them just do it because they see other lads doing it.

I met a car with a tinted windscreen and tinted front NUMBER PLATE (that is a new one for me) yesterday, the driver beeped at me but I have no idea who it was as the windscreen tint was so dark, it could have been anyone, male, female, anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tinted front NUMBER PLATE (that is a new one for me) yesterday
    Have seen number plates that are visible at 90° angle only. Toll cameras can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

the_syco wrote: »
    Have seen number plates that are visible at 90° angle only. Toll cameras can't see it.

Then there's the 'camera shy' plates. Perfectly visible, but when a light is shone on them, all that can be read is 'turbo'. Haven't seen one in years, maybe it's because speed cameras don't always flash anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

McGaggs wrote: »
    Then there's the 'camera shy' plates. Perfectly visible, but when a light is shone on them, all that can be read is 'turbo'. Haven't seen one in years, maybe it's because speed cameras don't always flash anymore?
    Still have a can of that magic lacquer I bought in the RDS years ago. €5 half price, 15 mins before closing. Bargain, I thought. Never tried it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I see the new one with this crowd is to remove the front number plate and either have it on the dash or just leave it off altogether. very cheeky in my opinion, asking for trouble with the Guards.

Surprised they don't replace it with the "Stars and Bars" tbh given the level of fúckwittery involved.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The law just says it has to be fixed to the front and back but doesn't say it has to be on the bumper. However, most of these lads don't have the "fixed" on their dash so still breaking the law.

TBH, even those who sell cars are breaking the law by putting their garage details on it:
    - The registration number, which consists of numbers and letters, must be in black on a white reflective background
    - The name of the county of registration must be in Irish, (for example, Baile Átha Cliath)
    - The EU flag and the letters "IRL" must be placed on the left-hand side of the plate. The flag shows 12 gold stars in a circle, with the letters "IRL" in white underneath it, all on a blue reflective background.
    - No other numbers, letters, or marks, should appear on your registration plate.

Not really number plate related, but a burnt orange Qua...qus.. CASHKEYE... passed me yesterday and the entire front windscreen was reflective orange! Couldn't see a thing behind the windscreen, and it was a clear midday!

The law just says it has to be fixed to the front and back but doesn't say it has to be on the bumper. However, most of these lads don't have the "fixed" on their dash so still breaking the law.

TBH, even those who sell cars are breaking the law by putting their garage details on it:

Not really number plate related, but a burnt orange Qua...qus.. CASHKEYE... passed me yesterday and the entire front windscreen was reflective orange! Couldn't see a thing behind the windscreen, and it was a clear midday!

Do you think these guys are asking for trouble with the plates on their dash?

If I was a guard, I would spot them, note the time and date then pull them a week or 2 later and see what they say, which would be oh it fell off today etc ...

Haven't seen yellow plates for a while now. The Garages/dealers often had plates on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Haven't seen yellow plates for a while now. The Garages/dealers often had plates on the dash.

Trade plates.....
    They are to be fitted front and rear visible to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

BTW, who the hell is "RYANER"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not if it's on the plate surround like it almost always is.

But every motorcycle dealer in the country will happily sell you a bike with stick-on vinyl numbers, which are illegal (and usually with the dealer name on the plate itself, too.)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Probably thousands of those plates in Letterkenny this weekend. Should have been the rally weekend but it's (rightly) cancelled. But there is an "unofficial" gathering organised. A friend passed through earlier and said the place is heaving. Even takeaways had to cancel deliveries cos the traffic was so heavy.

Advertisement