Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas James Robinson, Tipperary

Options
  • 19-04-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hello,

I've got a Thomas James Robinson in the 1891 census of England whose birthplace is given as Ireland. From his age given in the census, he was born about 1859/1860.
    In a later census in England , his birthplace is given as Tipperary,Ireland.

He got married in England in 1883 and on his marriage cert his father's name is George.

I can't be certain was his religion was in Ireland, but he was married in Church of England, so probably Church of Ireland.

I know lots about him from 1891 onwards, as he stayed in England, but I'm stuck on where to go next to try to find anything about him in Ireland.
    I've searched on familysearch but the birth records don't go back far enough.

Can anyone offer any advice about where I might find any info ? Would the Representative Church Body library in Dublin be likely to have anything?

Thanks,

M
    (complete beginner in this)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The first detail you need to try to find out is where in Co. Tipperary your Robinsons lived. There are quite a few parishes ion the county to search though.. the later English returns, particularly the 1911, often show more detail

Do you have his father's occupation ?

Do you know of any possible siblings to Thomas ?

e.g. a witness at his marriage, neighbours or visitors in the household on a census return...

Sometimes searching for the birth of a young sibling can help narrow down the location if they appear in civil birth records (which started in 1864)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Hi Shanew,

The 1911 English census only has Tipperary so I don't know if it was town or county. The marriage cert has what looks like 'gentleman' (!) for the father's profession - not sure what that means, maybe he was unemployed, or Thomas J didn't want to say.
    Unfortunately I have no info on any siblings that Thomas may have had so I can't use them to find the parents.

Thomas was a policeman. Do you know if it would have been have common for someone who was the police (was RIC the only force in Ireland then ) in Ireland in 1880s to move to England ?

Thanks,
    M

Gentleman generally meant he lived of rental or maybe investment income from an inheritance etc, so usually reasonably well off - assuming Thomas was telling the truth.

RIC - Royal Irish Constabulary covered most of Ireland except for Dublin City and parts of south east Co. Dublin, which was policed by the DMP, Dublin Metropolitan Police

There's an Index (but no actual records) of RIC on ancestry

There are several entries for the name George Robinson on Griffith's Valuation in Co. Tipperary that might be worth following up - one of these may be your George. All three are in North Riding (the county is divided in two for many administrative functions). These entries are dated 1852.

1. George Robinson, Tinderry townland, Corbally civil parish - leasing a house and small garden
    2. George Robinson, Main Street, Cloughjordan town, Modreeny civil parish , leasing a house, office (*) & small garden
    3. George Robinson, Grace's Street, Nenagh town, Nenagh civil parish, also leasing a house, office & small garden

(* offices is the term used on Griffith's for stables, workshops etc)

see : George Robinson, Tipperary N.R.

None appear to be major land holders in Tipperary North Riding at least, but the George in Nenagh appears to be a middleman for two other properties in the town at Barrack St & Abbey Lane, as he appears as the lessor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RUC Museum has decent enough but very terse summaries of records available if he turns out to have been RIC rather than DMP.

Transfers would have been possible from either force as they are between UK County Constabularies, but no idea if they were common.

I had a look at a DMP Index, just two Thomas Robinson listings, both born same parish in Co. Carlow in 1816 - possibly the same person re-enlisted.

There is a Thomas J. Robinson listed on the RIC Index - enlisted 1875 age 18 (so born c1857), county of birth Tipperary. You can order a copy of the service records for him from the PSNI museum, or view on film in a FamilySearch centre to see if this might fit, but note the records dont usually include any family details, but the records do include the name of the person recommending - usually someone prominent in the area which can help the search.

see : PSNI Museum Genealogy

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brian robinson

There's a very strong probability that my family are involved here. My grandad told me we originated from tipperary about 200 years ago and my father and uncles names are Thomas and James robinson.

I'd love to know any findings that you've made.
    My robinson have been in Dublin for at least 150 I think

Advertisement