Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family tree: 1901 and 1911 census

• 20-11-2011 9:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

hi im in the middle of a family tree project at the moment and i have come across something unusual.

the 1911 census states that my great grandfather is 46 years old and married with 2 children. his mother is living with him aswel and she is aged 72. however the 1901 census states that he is only 30 and his mother 55 when it should be 36 and 62. his father is alive at this time but not in the 1911 census. his father is aged 60 in 1901.
    i went through the national archives register of births and it would appear that the 1911 census is the accurate one.

does anyone have any idea to why there ages are altered in the first census?
    i am only assuming that maybe it had something to do with his mother marrying at a young age or maybe altering their ages to qualify for some sort of scheme or perhaps they just didnt keep a record of their ages? anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Ages are not always accurate on census returns - particularly those for adults. People didn't keep track of the dates and years as we do know. Another issue that sometimes occurs with census returns is when the person filling in the form doesn't know accurate details.

Ages for children tended to be more accurate - especially those very young.

Another factor for older people's ages being inaccurate in 1911 was the introduction on the Old Age Pension in 1908 - resulting is some people adding a few years to their to try to qualify.

Shane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

shanew wrote: »
    Ages are not always accurate on census returns - particularly those for adults. People didn't keep track of the dates and years as we do know. Another issue that sometimes occurs with census returns is when the person filling in the form doesn't know accurate details.

Another factor for older people's ages being inaccurate in 1911 was the introduction on the Old Age Pension in 1908 - resulting is some people adding a few years to their to try to qualify.

Shane

:pac: that would make a lot of sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

paky wrote: »
    shanew wrote: »

Shane

:pac: that would make a lot of sense
    hi im looking at a reference map of wicklow and it shows a symbol for a portsl tomb south of wicklow town.near blainroe.magherabeag.ballydowling sort of area.anybody know of this?i thought i knew them all in wickla

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Regarding odd age in census, have you looked at the actual handwritten form? Sometimes the transcription is not correct and the mistake is obvious with other background information to hand.

Advertisement