Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Green & the Greasepaint -Ireland & Hollywood *Mod warning 1st page*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

If you have ever heard the song "Biddy Mulligan the Pride of the Coombe" you have heard of this guy Jimmy O'Dea. Probably the finest irish Music Hall artist.

He did some work overseas on tour and some movie parts.

I have posted the bio below almost in its entirety but thats to show that there are other Theatres such as the Empire and the Queens that were different to the Abbey.

There was also a difference between the type of work they produced and O'Deas genre.

You can also listen to him doing Joyces Anna Livia enjoy.

JIMMY JIMMY

Jun 9th, 2008 by Conor McCabe

jimmyodea-381-x-518.jpg
    More albums from St. Vincent’s on Sean McDermott Street. This one is a collection of the best sketches of comic duo, Jimmy O’Dea and Harry O’Donovan. The following comes from the album sleeve notes, written by Matthew Murtagh:-
    “Born in Lower Bridge Street in the heart of old Dublin - not far from “Biddy Mulligan´s” Coombe - on April 28th, 1899, Jimmy O’Dea was one of eleven children, four of whom went on the stage. His mother ran a small toy shop to supplement the earnings of his father, who worked as an ironmonger. Given the benefit of a first-class education and having been blooded with an amateur dramatic company, the Kilronan Players, Jimmy plucked up enough courage to suggest to his parents that his future might lie in a careers as an actor. His father gave him a stern look: “son, I´d rather see you in your coffin.” Instead he was apprenticed to an optician. Undeterred he continued with his stage work and ambitions, graduating to the Irish theatre in Hardwicke Street and a propitious association with actor-producer John McDonagh, in whose company he recalled, amongst other roles, that of the old man-servant, Firs, in Chekhov’s “The Cherry Orchard” in 1920. When, shortly after, MacDonagh produced his comedy play, “The Irish Jew” at the Empire (now Olympia) Theatre, he gave the young actor a choice cameo role to portray, one which proved to be the laughter hit of the evening.

irishjew.png
    “Around this period he qualified as an optician, and still only 21 set up his own business (later hen he became a full-time actor this enterprise was disposed of to his sister, Rita). After a season with Madame Kirdwood-Hackett´s Repertory Company at the Abbey Theatre in George Bernard Shaw plays, Jimmy rejoined MacDonagh to appear in his Irish revues, the first of which, “Dublin To-Night”, was produced at the Queen’s Theatre on February 4th, 1924. In a new edition of the same revue at the Olympia Theatre the following August he donned female attire for the first time when he took the part of the landlady in a sketch, “Our Visitors”, which was such a success before packed houses that by popular demand it had to be repeated in a subsequent revue, “Next Stop, Darling”. In unbounded versatility of character acting, ranging from Napoleon to the country lad “up on the last load”, Jimmy O’Dea rapidly rose to the rank of “Ireland’s Representative Comedian”. During the 1927 he went on his first English tour in MacDonagh’s revue, “The Goods”, only to learn on his return that John MacDonagh, who had made him a star, was about to emigrate to America. But the gloomy news was forgotten after a fortunate encounter with fellow-Dubliner Harry O’Donovan. A chance meeting in a Dublin street of those two actors, whose paths had crossed in several stage plays some years earlier, brought a partnership sealed with a handshake and a bottle of stout in the nearest pub. Practically broke - Harry had to sell his piano - they scraped up enough money (?20) to launch their first show, a revue “we’re Here” at the Queens Theatre in April 1928.”
    odea2.jpg
    “The passing of Jimmy O’Dea on January 7th 1965, left a void which may never be filled, for he was undoubtedly the greatest native comedian who ever graced the footlights. Although no more than 5 feet 4 inches in height, he was a giant of the Irish theatrical scene. Harry O’Donovan outlived his partner by several years, his death taking place on November 3rd, 1973.”
    Jimmy O’Dea´s family moved to Capel street, some time after the start of the century. They are listed in the 1911 census as living at 162 Capel Street, Dublin. It was while living there that O’Dea became friends with future Taoiseach, Sean Lemass - O’Dea would later serve as best man at Lemass’ wedding.

http://dublinopinion.com/2008/06/09/jimmy-jimmy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Dusty sprigfield was born to an Irish family and spent a lot of time here. the video for Roll Away features cregg castle in Galway and the Poulabrone Dolmen

And there were cowboys that were very popular.

gene-autry.jpg

Monday, 5 October 1998 The Independent

1 SEPTEMBER 1939 is imprinted forever as "the day war broke out", thanks to the immortal broadcasts by the then Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain, and the radio comedian Robb Wilton. Three days later Louis Ellman, manager of the Theatre Royal Dublin, cabled a somewhat different news bulletin to the President of Republic Pictures:
    Gene Autry's personal appearance broke all existing box-office records since we opened. Autry played to 80,000 paid admissions. Police records estimate Autry's parade drew on the streets 75,000 people, the largest crowd ever assembled in all Dublin history.
    Clearly the Irish knew what was important in the world of that dark September.
    Gene Autry, billed by his studio as "Public Cowboy Number One", had arrived in London in August 1939, his first ever trip outside his native America. With him, of course, came his horse Champion, a golden Palomino who would in time receive his own television series and signature tune, "Champion the Wonder Horse", sung by the pop star Frankie Laine. But back in 1939 Champion hit his first British headlines when Autry rode him up the steps and into the Savoy Hotel. "Shooting irons must be parked with hats" ran the footnote on the press invitations.

Louis Elmann and the Theatre Royal had Judy Garland of the Wizard of Oz perform - not to sure about Toto

zdorothy.jpg

The fourth Theatre Royal opened on September 23, 1935 in Hawkins Street. It was a large art deco building designed for an audience of 3,700 people seated and 300 standing, and was intended for use as both theatre and cinema. It also housed the Regal Rooms Restaurant. The theatre had a resident 25-piece orchestra under the direction of Jimmy Campbell and a troupe of singer-dancers, the Royalettes. From the beginning, the sheer size of the building made it difficult for the Royal to remain economically viable. The policy adopted at first to confront this problem was to book big-name stars from overseas to fill the building. These included Gracie Fields, George Formby, Max Wall, Max Miller and Jimmy Durante. However these shows rarely made a profit.
    In 1936, the Royal was acquired by Patrick Wall and Louis Elliman, who also owned the Gaiety. With the outbreak of the Second World War, Wall and Elliman were forced to keep the two theatres going with native talent only. This led to the emergence of a raft of Irish acts who were to provide the mainstay of the Royal's output for the remainder of its existence. These included such Irish household names as Jimmy O'Dea, Harry O'Donovan, Maureen Potter, Danny Cummins, ((Mike Nolan)), Alice Dalgarno, Noel Purcell, Micheál MacLiammoir, Cecil Sheridan, Jack Cruise and Patricia Cahill. In July 1951 Judy Garland appeared for a series of sold out performances and was received with tremendous ovations. The legendary singer sang from her dressing room window to hundreds of people who were unable to get tickets and critics dubbed her "America's Colleen" She drew the largest crowds up until that time and was only surpassed by the visits to Ireland of United States President John F. Kennedy and the Pope in the 1960s. Popular Irish American entertainer Carmel Quinn also made her singing debut here during the early 1950s. Under pressure from rising overheads and the increasing popularity of the cinema and the introduction of television, the fourth Theatre Royal, Dublin closed its doors on June 30, 1962.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Noel Purcell was a bit of an Irish Icon often co-starring with Jimmy O'Dea .He also supplemented his theatre income with film and tv work abroad. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GROWING UP WITH NOEL PURCELL (PART 1)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]By Patrick Purcell[/FONT]

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]purcell.gif‘The Man me mother married was a smashin’ lookin’ chap,
    With a lovely suit of Navy Blue and a gorgeous stripey cap,
    That’s accordin’ to a photo that was took so long ago,
    Me mother swears it was me Da, I’m sure I wouldn’t know!’
    (Poem by Leo Maguire)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]My father, Noel Purcell, Actor, Comedian and Freeman of the City of Dublin, was born in December 1900. He grew up in the same way many children did in those days, going to the Christian Brothers schools and doing odd jobs for pocket money.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]He became a call boy at the Gaiety Theatre in Dublin and, from that, developed a love of the theatrical life. His mother persuaded him to take up a trade before trying anything so chancy, so he apprenticed as a shopfitter and cabinet maker to Bex and Co.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]His theatrical and movie work are legendary, and have been ably described in ‘Noel Purcell’ by Michael B. Ryan. I want to share his humanity, the real man behind the stage and screen star, his pride in his work, his incredible humility for all his success and his vulnerability to a sob story or anyone in trouble. But, most of all, I want to show him as MY DAD.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Dad married Eileen Marmion, in 1941 and had four boys, Michael, born in 1942, Glynn, 1943, myself in 1946 and finally Victor in 1953.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]My first memory of Dad was as a result of a major incident. I was born at home in Sandymount. I must have been about two or three years old. Mum was in the kitchen doing the laundry in an electric washing machine with one of those clothes rollers on top for squeezing the water out.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Well, sure enough, muggins put his little paw into the moving rollers and mum heard me calling and was able to hit a quick release bar on top to stop me being sucked all the way through! I was up to my armpit by then and so, when the spring loaded top flew up, it got me smack in the mouth.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I can remember the blood all over the clean washing and crying fit to bust when this enormous, yet gentle, arm picked me up and carried me to the car and off to the hospital. My face was a right mess and I swallowed a few teeth, but it was the memory of feeling secure in Dad’s big hug and that everything was going to be all right that I remember, rather than the pain.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I remember Dad coming home from somewhere (Fiji, I think,) having gone through the USA and I got a green satin one-piece insulated jump suit. Of course, I had to test this in the first snow and so nearly froze to death, because it was warm at first, but not waterproof.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I loved water with a passion. Dad was a great swimmer and had a beautiful crawl action, which he taught me. We used to go down to the Pigeon House and out along the South Wall to the Half Moon Swimming Club, Costello’s and the Shelley Banks. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]We lived for quite a few years at 2, Newbrige Drive, Sandymount. I was sent (screaming my head off!) to St. Mary’s Star of the Sea School. It was there I discovered, painfully, that I wasn’t like other kids. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I must have seemed to the others from less well-off families like a really spoilt brat.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I wasn’t aware, naturally, at the time, that jealousy existed, so I thought I was a freak of some sort, because I got beaten up so regularly. The funny thing is we weren’t that well-off at all. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Dad, for all his fame, wasn’t that well paid, like actors are today. I couldn’t go to the secondary school of my choice, Blackrock College, because the fees were more than we could afford. Anyway, at ‘De Star’ I did have a few chums, mostly from Newbridge Avenue and Strand Road.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I remember Dad used to get a good deal on cars from Tommy McCairns, of McCairn’s motor fame. He had the General Motors franchise and so Dad used to get Dodges, Chevrolets and Vauxhalls at a good rate. I didn’t realize is at the time, but Tommy knew his onions from a marketing point of view, in that Dad made an excellent salesman just driving around.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I remember Dad with a trailer he got on loan from the Abbey Delivery Service on Mount Street, driving us kids up and down Newbridge Avenue in the trailer, hanging on like grim death and yelling with the fun. Of course, he would be had up for that kind of thing these days, but it was so innocent and I’m sure what we thought was 100 mph was a far more sedate pace. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The father of Rodney Devitt had a motor bike and we used to be on the pillion (no crash helmets or anything) and whizzing along at an insane 15mph. At that time, the trams used to still run to Sandymount Tower, and all the kids, including my brothers, made various trips to the Emergency at Sir Patrick Dunn’s Hospital with broken limbs after getting our bicycle wheels caught in the tram tracks.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Dad’s Mother lived in the house he was born in, at Lower Mercer Street, close to St Stephen’s Green and 100 yards from the Gaiety Theatre. We used to visit her there regularly and she lived over her (by then closed) antique shop.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I remember her as a lovely, white-haired lady, who always had little presents or sweets for me and my two brothers. I was six when she died in 1952, aged in her eighties, and I remember Dad being so very sad. I still remember the funeral to Glasnevin.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]It took Dad a long time to get over it, but being the trouper he was, he never let it interfere with making the punters laugh at the Theatre Royal or the Gaiety.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Patrick has kindly allowed us to print extracts from his book, as yet unpublished. Watch out for more recollections in future editions. (Ed) [/FONT]

Movie and TV appearences here

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0700740/

The second performer in the OP is Barry Fitzgerald/William Shields an Irish Character Actor who was a bona fide Hollywood star.

A character actor and comedian he was in a different league to O'Dea and Purcell.

He is best remembered now for his role in the now cult movie "the Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

Now for those who might scoff at the movie his screen presence and economy of movement on camera would make a better actor than Olivier who could not make such an easy transition between stage and screen.

Oliviers genre was Shakespeare and the Irish Dramatic revival scene.

John Feeny a/k/a John Ford directed and the movie was a huge sucess and was in the top 10 box office draws in its year of release 1952.Ford one 4 Academy Awards as Best Director.

I wonder how much Ryans Daughter as a movie owes to the Quiet Man.

Barry Fitzgeralds death in 1966 just about preceeded Mansfields Irish visit.
    <H1>Barry Fitzgerald Biography

Famous Irish Character Actor of Stage and Screen

Feb 23, 2008 Michael Rowland
    318791_com_barryfitzgerald.jpg Barry Fitzgerald - goldenyears.com

Biography of Barry Fitzgerald, Oscar-winning Irish character actor and star of "Going My Way" and "The Quiet Man".
    rounded_corners_5_fff.pngrounded_corners_5_fff.pngrounded_corners_5_fff.pngrounded_corners_5_fff.png

If you walk down Hollywood Boulevard and stop at 6252, you will find, among the many stars in the Hollywood Walk of Fame™, the name of an Irish actor whose career path began at Dublin’s famed Abbey Theater. This is his story.
    Early Life

William Shields was born in Dublin on March 10, 1888. He was educated at Merchant Taylor’s Protestant School, and trained to enter the world of banking. He ended up joining the Irish civil service and worked as junior executive at the Unemployment Insurance Division while moonlighting as an extra at the Abbey Theater.
    The Stage Beckons

His interest in amateur drama surfaced at an early age and continually grew until it dominated his career choices. William flubbed his first speaking line in a 1915 production and sent the audience into a hearty round of laughter. For the rest of his life, he maintained he became a comedian right then and there.
    Ads by Google
    Control your costs Check out eircom's fixed price business bundles-broadband + phone business.eircom.net/broadband</SPAN>
    Disney Film Characters Find Disney Film Characters Top offers and Latest News! uk.Excite.eu/Disney+Film+Characters</SPAN>

William subsequently starred in the Abbey’s production of Juno and the Paycock by the great playwright, Sean O’Casey. He would recreate that role in his film debut in 1930 for director Alfred Hitchcock. Director John Ford brought the actor to America in 1935 to appear in another O’Casey classic, The Plough and the Stars. Thus began a career that would see him make more than 40 feature films, among them How Green Was My Valley and The Quiet Man.
    A Family Business

William Shields’ is, perhaps, best loved for his role as Michaleen Oge Flynn, the often-tipsy, wisecracking matchmaker in The Quiet Man. Fans of the movie may also remember the Protestant minister, Cyril “Snuffy” Playfair, who counseled John Wayne’s character about Irish women and customs. Arthur Shields, who was William’s brother in real life, played the Reverend Playfair. Arthur had a long career as a director and character actor, but never achieved the notoriety that William did. (Actually, it is difficult to name another supporting actor who achieved the level of success and fame that William did.)
    A Full and Honored Career

A lifelong Protestant, he won two Academy Awards® for his portrayal of Catholic priest Father Fitzgibbon in Going My Way in 1944, claiming the Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor Oscars® for the same role. He was the only actor ever to be so honored, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences immediately changed the rules to prevent another such occurrence. (Ironically, William would later accidentally knock the head right off his Best Supporting Actor Oscar while practicing his golf swing.)
    Going Home

William returned to Ireland in 1959 and made his last picture, “Broth of a Boy”, in which he played a 110-year-old poacher. He passed away in his beloved Dublin on January 4, 1966.
    .relatedStyle {width: 300px; float: right; padding-left: 15px; margin-bottom:10px; margin-left:10px; padding-top:10px; border-top:1px solid #CCCCCC; border-bottom:1px solid #CCCCCC;}.relatedContent {padding-bottom: 15px; color:#336666}.relatedHeading{padding-bottom: 15px}.relatedTitle{}Also on Suite101

Maureen O'Hara Biography
    Biography of Maureen O'Hara, famous Irish film actress and star of "How Green Was My Valley" and "The Quiet Man"

So, when you stroll down Hollywood Boulevard and look at the stars in the Walk of Fame, don’t bother looking for William Shields; you won’t find his name on any stars. However, you will find the stage name of a short, Irish actor who walked tall in American and international theater: Barry Fitzgerald.

Read more at Suite101: Barry Fitzgerald Biography: Famous Irish Character Actor of Stage and Screen http://film-stars.suite101.com/article.cfm/barry_fitzgerald_biography#ixzz0trtAqOMg
    </H1>
    Arthur Shields had a supporting role as Rev Playfair who was Barry's real life brother fought in the 1916 Rising and was imprisoned in Frongoch.

d8cter4fiutbdbci.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I read a biography of James Stewart a while back and was surprised to find that his family were from Co Antrim.

The film Saving Private Ryan was based very loosely on the Niland brothers, Frederick Niland in particular. Their family was originally from Co Mayo.

http://www.sproe.com/n/fritz-niland.html

http://www.canisius.edu/archives/niland.asp

The film The Shiralee with Peter Finch was based on the book written by Australian writer D'Arcy Niland. His family were originally Dublin based coopers at Guinness.

http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A150557b.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

CDfm wrote: »

If you have ever heard the song "Biddy Mulligan the Pride of the Coombe" you have heard of this guy Jimmy O'Dea. Probably the finest irish Music Hall artist.

He did some work overseas on tour and some movie parts.

I have posted the bio below almost in its entirety but thats to show that there are other Theatres such as the Empire and the Queens that were different to the Abbey.

There was also a difference between the type of work they produced and O'Deas genre.

You can also listen to him doing Joyces Anna Livia enjoy.

CDfm - I don't know where you get the time and energy for all your research. Another great thread!

Jimmy O'Dea was one of the greats. I have several Mrs.Mulligan 78s - Mrs.Mulligan at the Talkies and Mrs.Mulligan on the Tram. Classics! The Tony Hancock of his day but perhaps not so morose. I have the latter one on tape which I will try and burn to CD upload to You Tube and link to here but don't hold your breath. :D

CDfm - I don't know where you get the time and energy for all your research. Another great thread!

:D

I don't research exhaustively but if I see stuff that genuinely interests me I am off.

Biddy Mulligan vs Mrs Brown - no contest - but its a comedy genre and it makes you appreciate it more.

Mourning_Mrs_Brown.jpg

I would love to see a thread on the history of irish panto dames & panto but grew up in Cork but know very little. Dublin had the music halls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Karl Malden died in 2009, Oscar winning actor.

Played an Irish-American priest in On The Waterfront, great film, best B&W film I've seen anyway

Here is with Marlon Brando

waterfront_01.jpg

Check out this performance

Dave Allen (David O'Mahoney 1936-2005)

Witty, pithy, and urbane and master of modern stand-up.

Never got the welcome from RTE that he deserved and recieved in the UK, Oz and Canada.

• Advertisement

Loved Dave Allen and I was lucky enough to see him once in the Gaiety back in the late 1970s - a bit boozy and anti-church for good old RTE - ahead of his time in the latter respect. :D

I read that boozy was part of the act and that it was yusually ginger ale on the glass and a nice champagne after the show. His brother a former journalist was a down and out in London. A few modern day Irish comedians have borrowed this part of his act and it has brought them success:rolleyes:

Edward Mulhare from Cork co-starred with the Hoff in Knight Rider

c84269b95eefcaf2_landing

0000044823_20071212134208.jpg

Born in 1923 career as a leading man of stage, screen and TV spanned from the 50's until his death in 1997 with appearences on Baywatch.He started of in the Gate in Dublin and worked with Gielgud in London.

He took over his first major role from Rex Harrison on broadway in 1956 as Professor Higgins in My Fair Lady which in itself was a major accomplishment and appeared on the Ed Sullivan show -the major chat show in the USA from which both Elvis and the Beatles launched their careers -3 times in 1957.

He also appeared in movies such as Von Ryans express and was a regular guest in many TV shows.

I never knew he was a Corkman unlike his fellow corkman Daniel Carroll

Danny%20La%20Rue%20suit.jpg

Better known as Danny La Rue the British Drag Artiste

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2Vo8k8nB96hqt5K3EkiyepZRn7hhn9Bsu4okRemC_q-yLDYJ1Vw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgsFg34fsbE2HtrU64b5pug3ThwtCZ32URlgxCt4RNYq-DJFGR

Putting lions in the picture

By Richard Collins
    Monday, September 06, 2010
    IT’S believed the lion that roars at the start of Metro Goldwyn Meyer films was born in Dublin Zoo.

But is this true, and, if so, how did a Dublin lion make it to Hollywood? Historian Catherine de Courcy examines the strange claim in a piece entitled Dublin Zoo and the MGM Lion, which appears in the current edition of Zoo Matters.

There must have been more than one MGM lion. The role, like that of Tarzan and James Bond, would have been played by various ‘actors’ over the years. The first feline star was filmed in the early 1920s, in black and white. With developments in film technology, new ‘takes’ would have been needed.

Colour film, 35mm and wide-screen formats, stereo sound and digital techniques would all have rendered previous sequences redundant. The maximum average lifespan of a lion is 24 years, so half a dozen actors may have performed the role.

Until the 1920s and 30s, Dublin’s lions were housed indoors and it seems unlikely an animal could have been satisfactorily filmed, given the lighting demands of cameras then. In 1941, the zoo opened an outdoor lion facility. With a landscaped, rocky backdrop and the animals separated from the public by a moat, the cats would have been more photogenic. In 1947, a camera team filmed one named Stephen, and de Courcy says this may have inspired the MGM story. There is still a possibility, she says, that the original star did hail from Dublin. According to an entry in online encyclopaedia Wikipedia, a lion named Slats featured from 1924 to 1928. He was said to have been born in Dublin in 1919. No birth certificate for Slats could be found among the zoo’s records, but two cubs were born that year. One remained in Dublin; the other appears to have been sold. Could the exile have been Slats? Dublin was an obvious venue for lion-filming; the Irish lion industry was world famous. The zoo began breeding the cats in the 1850s, with animals brought from Africa. Between 1857 and 1876, according to Dublin Zoo, an Illustrated History, 92 cubs were born here. The animals were celebrated for their health and beauty. Former US president, Ulysses Grant, was among the celebrities who came to see them. In 1949, the zoo was asked to loan 15 lions to gobble up Christians in Mervyn Le Roy’s Quo Vadis. The request was refused.

The King of Beasts is not the largest of the cats. That distinction goes to the tiger. The lion succeeded to the throne because, to westerners, he was a relatively local species; North Africa is closer than India, the nearest home of tigers. Lions roamed Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas. The species became extinct in Europe and America at the end of the last ice age. The Biblical Lion of Judah is also gone. African populations have been decimated over the last few centuries, and lions are largely confined to reserves and national parks. Of the seven varieties that survive, the Asiatic lion is the most distinctive and most threatened. Only one population remains; 411 lions were counted at Gujarat’s Gir Forest national park, last April. A breeding programme, carried out by zoos, has produced 126 Asiatic cubs. These are distributed around wildlife parks in India and elsewhere. Ours is one of the international zoos involved in the conservation programme.

Sheila, the last representative of the Irish lion industry, is now 23. Will our great lion-breeding tradition end with her? By no means; it may soon enter its most important phase. Asiatic lion cubs are waiting in the wings. They can’t be sent to Dublin while Sheila is still there; she may be carrying residual infections. Keepers will be sad when she dies, but her demise may herald the start of a new lion-breeding era.

Dublin Zoo, an Illustrated History, by Catherine de Courcy, is published by the Collins Press. €18.99

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Monday, September 06, 2010

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/richard-collins/putting-lions-in-the-picture-129914.html#ixzz1709VrZvS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Thread has tailed off somewhat with some flimsy links to Ireland in some sort of attempt to 'claim' certain personalities. A bit like claiming John F Kennedy.
    Its more like faux genealogy rather the history of Irish people in the arts abroad. The Beatles, for example, were English. Not Irish. Their ancestors have little relevance.
    I've even heard on radio, a media 'expert' claiming Diane Keaton as Irish. This is ridiculous as an Australian station claiming the Bee Gees, who are from Manchester, regardless of spending time in Aussie.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Thread has tailed off somewhat with some flimsy links to Ireland in some sort of attempt to 'claim' certain personalities. A bit like claiming John F Kennedy.
    Its more like faux genealogy rather the history of Irish people in the arts abroad. The Beatles, for example, were English. Not Irish. Their ancestors have little relevance.

I take your point but the real relevance of the thread is that popular culture saw the Irish go abroad and foreigners come to Ireland.It is more to do with the cultural exchanges that occured to and from Ireland rather than claim people as Irish - the Farrows and the Beatles were to an extent part of the diaspora.

3 out of the 4 Beatles (the talented ones) had an Irish grandparent and they had matching suits like a showband. .

http://www.thebeatlesandireland.com/test_10.html

Now popular Irish culture was more than diddle eye di eye and Yeats poetry.

So the thread is about there was more to it than the Green Scene.

3 out of the 4 Beatles (the talented ones) had an Irish grandparent and they had matching suits like a showband. .
    Now popular Irish culture was more than diddle eye di eye and Yeats poetry.

So the thread is about there was more to it than the Green Scene.
    The only cultural exchange pertaining to The Beatles was with a range of Skiffle, American blues and 50s rock n roll. Brian Epstein came up with the suiting up. He was a Jewish north Londoner.
    Surely there's more to a so-called cultural exchange than a grandparent?
    In my opinion, there's no exchange in the case of The Beatles. Its one way and at best, incidental. Not influential.
    I just find claiming them as something Ireland somehow gave the world as feeble.
    These misnomers aside thread subject is interesting and contrary to some posts, it is relevant to the subject of history.

LOL JustinDee - its a bit of fun and anything the crossed the water and came here or crossed the water from here and went elsewhere and found fame or notreity is fair game.

Its entertainment and if its a bit low brow -well thats better.

I am missing magicians and exotic dancers :cool:

No worries. Only yapping. I could chat about music and movies all day long.

JustinDee wrote: »
    No worries. Only yapping. I could chat about music and movies all day long.

There are a lot of guys here who like the serious history and culture angle - whereas me I like my tabloids and if a former nun named Assumpta became a stripper in Las Vegas I think she should be honoured here. ;)

There must have been a lot of Irish music hall performers and musicians who made it elsewhere.

So any bits of trivia are more than welcome.

My favorite so far is Milo O'Shea going from filming James Joyce to the semi-porn Barberella. Class that.

• Advertisement

Laurel and Hardy toured Ireland in 1952 and there is a wonderful piece on it here from pages 9-12

A short extract
    Laurel and Hardy in Ireland
    On Sunday, 25th May, 1952, Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy took the overnight ferry from Liverpool to
    Dublin. The next morning, a reporter from the Irish Daily Mail noted that they both had missed breakfast
    and didn't appear until noon. The venue was the Gresham, a large five star hotel on Europe's widest
    street, O'Connell Street. This street had witnessed many events in Ireland's history, and now here was
    another, the first visit of Laurel and Hardy to Ireland.
    The newspaper reported: “Stan Laurel was first on the scene, looking every inch like that silly
    little man who was guaranteed to get his partner into every conceivable mess. Then came
    Oliver Hardy, looking even larger in life than he does on the screen, and still sporting his tiny
    moustache.” The party was quite tired, as they were exactly halfway through an eight-month tour of
    Britain and Ireland. It therefore must have come as a blessing that the opening night's performance had to
    be cancelled due to the fact that the scenery didn't make it over in time.
    Opening night began on Tuesday, 27th May and the Dublin Times reported:
    “What Laurel and Hardy have to say to each other doesn't matter. They merely have to appear
    on stage and the house rocks, shrieks and hoots with laughter. Much of the laughter came from
    children, but their parents were spellbound too.”
    The Irish Press of 28/05/52 noted : ”Mr O'Laurel and Mr O'Hardy were the latest distinguished
    visitors to Dublin. In private life they don't make you laugh ha-ha, but they do make you
    smile."
    Reporter Mac Alia was in their hotel room when the phone rang. It was somebody saying that he had
    been told to contact Laurel and Hardy and he got onto Stan. The context wasn't clear, but they were to
    get in touch with somebody. The somebody couldn't get in touch with them, because the somebody
    hadn't turned up. Chaos all around. "You should have hung up before he did," said Oliver sitting majestically
    in his chair. "I didn't know he hung up," said Stan. "I wasn't listening.".
    Mac Alia then asked them if they were going to meet anybody important while they were in Dublin.
    "Everybody is important to us" was the joint answer. Mrs Hardy went on to describe her husband as a
    great handyman around the house; just give him a paintbrush and he is happy.
    An Evening Herald reporter noted : “Personally I found them much more entertaining in person
    than in celluloid. In two short scenes they managed to convey their genius for the trade
    that has kept them in the forefront for so long.”
    Their visit to Dublin also coincided with the British and Irish release of A toll K, known as
    Robinson Crusoeland. This was playing nightly in cinemas. Dublin, it seemed, was not only the
    Irish capital but also the Laurel and Hardy capital for those two weeks.
    Laurel and Hardy took the train to Belfast in time to open on 9th June. While in Belfast, Stan was
    taken ill and was laid up for a couple of weeks in the Musgrave Clinic. Oliver and Lucille Hardy
    returned to Dublin for a short holiday while Stan recovered. After a relaxing holiday the Hardy’s
    returned to Belfast and they continued with the tour.

The full story here

http://www.laurelandhardy.ie/PDF/lh2007bookletnoshamrockdub.pdf

Here is a nice bit too of them arriving in Cobh and being treated as stars - when they hadnt really had made great movies in the US since the 30's.

I have highlighted Stan Laurels touching comments on arriving in Cobh.

Laurel & Hardy in Cobh

Posted by admin in Historical on 20 October 2009
    laurel-and-hardy.jpg
    By Adrian Patrick Gebruers KSG
    It must be recorded that the Laurel and Hardy visit to Cobh in 1953 has become the most high-profile episode involving the Cobh Carillon and has spread the fame of the instrument far and wide. Almost every book about the comedians mentions it, the event was warmly recalled in the “This Is Your Life” show the following year (1954), it has been the subject of countless radio and television features and is frequently quoted in newspaper and magazine articles.
    The story begins in the picture palaces of Antwerp back in the early 1920’s, when my father (Staf Gebruers, 1902-1970), then a impecunious young music student, earned much needed pocket money as a temporary cinema pianist and thus was planted the seed for a life-long passion for stars of the silent screen. Fast forward to Cobh some thirty years later, where news was trickling through that Laurel and Hardy had boarded the U.S. Lines liner SS “America” in New York bound for the Emerald Isle. Whereas the duo’s departure from the Big Apple had not attracted much attention, the people of Cobh were veritably tingling with excitement at the prospect of seeing them in the flesh, particularly on the part of the younger members of the population.
    If the truth were to be told, the comedians were no longer that popular in the land that made them and this European campaign was an attempt to revive their waning fortunes, with Ireland being selected as a starting point.
    On the morning in question, a little drama was unfolding at St Joseph’s Boy’s Primary School. As a ten year old pupil, I was not only a first-hand observer but very much a participant in these events. The thought that our favourite film comedians might be a stone’s throw away down town while we scholars sat in our classrooms was more than any human beings could be asked to endure. We therefore took advantage of the morning yard break to petition the school principal to allow us out to see the film stars. As at that stage the ageing Br Eugenius was probably not in the best of health, the collective pressing of hundreds of over-excited boys was probably more than he could take. Moreover, as he instinctively backed away from the onslaught we inadvertently were responsible for pressing him up against the school building, just alongside the white statue of our holy patron as it happened. In what the poor brother might well have considered to be one
    of his last breaths, he just about managed to gasp out the words we longed to hear: “Alright, you can go down to see them.”
    Housewives going about their daily shopping on The Beach, Cobh’s main thoroughfare, first thought they were detecting the sound of distant thunder, but with the addition of youngsters’
    exuberant voices it soon became obvious that the town’s schoolchildren were rushing down West View hill en route to the railway station where passengers from the liners disembarked. As my best friend was Seán O’Mahony and his parents managed the Royal Cork Yacht Club, I was able to get on to the balcony of the building, which commands a fine close-up view of the harbour. When the tender taking the passengers ashore from the liner passed we waved and shouted and
    repeatedly rang a ship’s bell in welcome, just as everyone else of the thousands lining the waterfront were similarly engaged. The two film stars were completely taken aback by the sheer ecstasy of their reception and in the years left to them never tired of reminiscing about that Wednesday, September 9 1953:
    The docks were swarming with many hundreds of people. ‘It’s strange, a strange thing,’ Stan says in recalling that day, ‘our popularity has lasted so long. Our last good pictures were made in the thirties, and you’d think people would forget, but they don’t. The love and affection we found that day at Cobh was simply unbelievable. There were hundreds of boats blowing whistles and mobs and mobs of people screaming on the docks. We just couldn’t understand what it was all about. And then something happened that I can never forget. All the church bells in Cobh started to ring out our theme song, and Babe looked at me, and we cried. Maybe people loved us and our pictures because we put so much love in them. I don’t know. I’ll never forget that day. Never”.
    When the two celebrities stepped ashore in Cobh they were immediately surrounded by good humoured milling crowds, all wishing to catch a glimpse of them or even shake their hands or get an autograph. The few local Gardaí fought a losing battle to speed them through immigration and customs formalities and out to a waiting car, and there was some considerable delay before they eventually emerged from the railway station to more cheering masses of fans. Ollie did not look
    a well man that morning, but in spite of how he might have been feeling he and Stan were insisting on personally thanking “the bell-ringers”. Like most people, they knew next to nothing about carillons and even less of how they’re played. When Seán O’Brien, manager of the U. S. Lines and a personal friend of my father’s, explained that this was an instrument played from a keyboard by one man they were even more anxious to make his acquaintance. A few minutes
    later, Seán’s car sped around Cathedral Corner followed Pied-Piper like by hundreds of screaming children. My father was at the main entrance, where I had joined him standing shyly a few steps behind. My first reaction was one of disappointment as these two elderly gentlemen dressed in modern lounge suits alighted, only vaguely resembling their far more familiar screen personae. But even worse confusion was to follow. When Ollie went to take my father’s hand to thank him the accumulated emotion of that whole morning seemed to suddenly spill over the poor man and words failed him. Tears began to roll down his cheeks as he engulfed Dad in his not inconsiderable embrace. Alarmed that my father, who in these politically-correct days would be termed vertically-challenged, might not come out intact from that massive bear hug, I was even more unnerved by Stan’s contrasting total composure as, dryeyed, he repeated polite words of appreciation. Shouldn’t he be the distraught one, wringing his hands and bawling crying as Olie yet again admonishes: “That’s another fine mess you’ve gotten us into.”, when in fact the reverse seemed to be the case! But there was no denying the sincerity of the film stars’ gratitude. Having their theme played on the Carillon and the great warmth of the welcome they’d witnessed in Cobh was a genuine public acknowledgment of the innocent fun they had given to millions which seemed to deeply touch them and was to become a landmark experience in their twilight years.
    The above story was sent to me by the author who has told me that it is only a part of what happened that day. He revealed that he alone is probably the last one to know what really happened and would probably never tell. I quizzed him for some time and tried to persuade him to part with the details one day but he was quite resigned to the fact that the story would die with him. I didn’t even get a slight clue as to what it was and I am very intrigued. Perhaps one day….

http://visitcobh.com/news/?p=82

There is even a Stan & Ollie appreciation society in Ireland

http://www.laurelandhardy.ie/

And there is more - they performed a charity show in the Olympia in 1952 and a photo of it was recovered

LAURELHARDYOLYMPIA1953.jpg
    Stan and Ollie arrived for their second visit to Ireland in 1953 (famously to the chimes of the Cobh Cathedral bells playing their theme tune). They made the way to Dublin and spent a month there, practicing their new sketch “Birds of a Feather” in the Olympia Theatre, while they sorted out a work permit for Ollie for their UK tour. As a thank you to Dublin, they appeared in a one off charity show at the Olympia, where they performed this sketch for the first time ever in front of a live audience. They started their U.K. tour the next day and, sadly, never returned to Ireland.
    Now fast forward 55 years (that’s today for those not good at maths!). Jitterbugs Ireland tent member, and professional magician, Neville Wiltshire was sorting out a big box of photo negatives he had received from fellow magician in the eighties. These photos chronicled the activities of the Society of Irish Magicians from 1947 to 1968. At that time printing off 1800 pictures would have been quite expensive but now modern technology can develop the prints digitally, at a fraction of the cost. Neville wanted to include these photos into the National Theatre Archives and began the task of cataloguing them. One set was marked “Magician, Ventriloquist etc Olympia”. Neville knew the magician well and recognised the ventriloquist as a young Eugene Lambert. Those who attended last year’s European Convention in Dublin will remember Eugene, our guest of honour, who re-created the same act that he performed on that charity show with Stan and Ollie. On the very last frame of the negative were two very familiar gents. Unbelievably, Neville had uncovered a picture of Stan and Ollie, on stage at the Olympia, performing the Worldwide Premier of the ‘Birds of a Feather’ sketch.

http://www.laurelandhardy.ie/Olympia Find.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

One of the leading producers and directors in the early years of Hollywood was the Dublin born Rex Ingram. In the 1920s he directed two enormously successful silent blockbusters, namely The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, starring Rudolf Valentino and an early version of Ben Hur.

In the smaller film industry of the time he was a hugely influential figure and was once listed as one of the four most important people in the industry alongside such early luminaries as D W Griffith and Cecil B De Mille.

As there are those who doubt the relevance of this thread to "History and Heritage" let me try and tie the two together more firmly. As I have said before, one of my favourite things about history is the number of ironies it throws up.

The most ironic thing about Ingram was that it was not his family name. His Christian names were Reginald Ingram and he was the son of a Church of Ireland vicar. His brother was a soldier in the Leinster Regiment in the First World War and published his memoirs--Stand To, A Diary of the Trenches, widely regarded as a classic--under his true family name which brother Rex had seen fit to discard when he got to Hollywood.

Perhaps he thought that Hitchcock was not a name that would amount to anything much in movies!!

Wow Snickersman - that is a gem :)

Wow Snickersman - that is a gem :)

You want trivia, just shout. :D

That's is so weird! As soon as I read that post the name triggered off something in my befuddled brain. Way back in the late 1960s I attended Aravon School in Bray and one year we had a summer fete where I bought a book - British Birds Eggs and Nests an ancient Victorian work ravaged by time and neglect - and inside there are a number of inscriptions, cartoons etc. The pics here explain better than I can. Anyway, I eventually went on to Rex Ingram's old school - St.Columba's College near Rathfarmham - and my interest in ornithology blossomed and, strangely, despite the book being in rank order and hopelessly dated it has remained in my collection ever since. So now 101 years after Rex Ingram Hitchcock signed and 'illustrated' the book, it still survives. Two questions, should I send it to Sothebys? and did Hughes ever get his skull cracked? :D

rex004l.jpg
    rex005.jpg
    rex006.jpg

You want trivia, just shout. :D

HIT ME AGAIN :D

Way back in the late 1960s I attended Aravon School in Bray and one year we had a summer fete where I bought a book - British Birds Eggs and Nests an ancient Victorian work ravaged by time and neglect - and inside there are a number of inscriptions, cartoons etc. The pics here explain better than I can. Anyway, I eventually went on to Rex Ingram's old school - St.Columba's College near Rathfarmham - and my interest in ornithology blossomed and, strangely, despite the book being in rank order and hopelessly dated it has remained in my collection ever since. So now 101 years after Rex Ingram Hitchcock signed and 'illustrated' the book, it still survives. Two questions, should I send it to Sothebys? and did Hughes ever get his skull cracked? :D

Small world! I would say hold on to it. What an heirloom.

Aravon School. Is that the one in Wicklow that looks like Hogwarts? :)

Alas poor Aravon - yes the 'new' school is the Hogwarts one now owned by Chris de Burgh but that I attended was the original one in Bray town, sandwiched between Meath Road, Novara Road and Sidmonton Square - see below.

7427_1155845630641_1662747491_383956_5708239_n.jpg

Sorry for going way off topic. :)

• Advertisement

Hey JD - it is a fantastic little story and deserves post of the day :D

Advertisement