Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Trial of Sir Roger Casement - 1960 TV Drama

Options
  • 10-02-2018 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

"The Trial of Sir Roger Casement" (1960) Granada TV 'On Trial' series

I recently came across this fascinating docudrama while researching Irish movies and thought it might be of interest to some here. The courtroom format, black and white film works and it really could be footage from 1916. A fascinating and tragic tale whatever your politics.

I attended his old school in Bray fifty years after his execution - no mention was ever made of the man, no plaque and certainly no photographs.

On a lighter note actor John Barron (C J from the Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin) is on one of the legal teams!

Anyway, it is available free to view on the British Film Institute site below but I don't know how long it will be up there.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-trial-of-sir-roger-casement-1960-online

400e75c0054382c0ef69543ebbe6db20_0.jpg?itok=ZO5txdIG

Peter Wyngarde plays the lead role and is a very good likeness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "The Trial of Sir Roger Casement" (1960) Granada TV 'On Trial' series

I attended his old school in Bray fifty years after his execution - no mention was ever made of the man, no plaque and certainly no photographs.

I suppose neither his politics nor his sexuality would have found favour in Aravon in the 1960s.

However both are changing in recent years, so maybe the deficiency might yet be rectified.

A lady called into the GSI in 2016, saying that she was connected, but her parents did not like to admit it, except when having a tiff, when one would say to the other " what can one expect from somebody related to that fellow", or words to that effect.
    In 2016 the lady had discovered an interest, perhaps the school might do likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

tabbey wrote: »
    ......the lady had discovered an interest, perhaps the school might do likewise.
    Aravon is closed/gone I think? The John Scotus School from D4 are now in the Old Conna premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Thomas__.

"The Trial of Sir Roger Casement"  (1960) Granada TV 'On Trial' series

I recently came across this fascinating docudrama while researching Irish movies and thought it might be of interest to some here. The courtroom format, black and white film works and it really could be footage from 1916. A fascinating and tragic tale whatever your politics.

On a lighter note actor John Barron (C J from the Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin) is on one of the legal teams!

Anyway, it is available free to view on the British Film Institute site below but I don't know how long it will be up there.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-trial-of-sir-roger-casement-1960-online

400e75c0054382c0ef69543ebbe6db20_0.jpg?itok=ZO5txdIG

Peter Wyngarde plays the lead role and is a very good likeness.

Was trying to watch it but got the following message:

'Location not authorised
    BFI Player films cannot be played outside of the UK
    Error code: geo'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Don't know whereabouts you are but still works fine for me this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Don't know whereabouts you are but still works fine for me this morning.

I checked this, intending to try a little bit, but ended up watching all 52 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement