Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Spanish Phraseology Online?

Options
  • 01-04-2017 2:20am
    Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭

I'm about to start learning Spanish online. Is there a learning source I could use, that breaks down the complicated nuances of how verbs are used in past/present/future tenses?

As regards learning a language, I hear a lot of people implying that if you listen to the language a lot, you'll just some how figure it out. Sounds like nonsense to me! I see others trying to learn by repeating a sentence such as "can you take me to the airport?" Seems silly, since such a sentence may translate as "can you airport take me to" and one wouldn't be aware of such. What I want to do, is to learn the nitty-gritty of the phraseology first. I think this should make things a lot clearer going forward.

So I'd like to start learning it, by comparing it to the English language, and then realise that Spanish people might phrase something like "I'm tomorrow going to town" as opposed to our way. I think it's the verbs that will be the hard part. I made an attempt at learning it two years ago with some youtube recording of a professor dishing out common phrases, and I couldn't listen without thinking "that doesn't seem to make sense"!

Come to think of it, much of the English I speak, I'm not even aware of how I know to word a sentence a particular way. So what I'm asking, is that surely that the internet is now so vast, there must be a way that suits the my style of learning, that's free!?

Thank you

Miscellaneous Thoughts

I used google translate for some common words (below), and as you can see you can understand why someone like me might be a little puzzled:

scared = asustado
    I'm scared = estoy asustado
    I am = yo soy
    I am afraid = tengo miedo
    I'm afraid = me temo que
    I fear = temo

Take these words for example:

fear = miedo
    I fear = temo

The second version for this word does not include the equivalent of the 'I'. Makes the language seems tricky!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Duolingo will do the basics

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

Duolingo will do the basics
    That was useful so far, but ta lot of the assessments that I want to do are locked! I think it forces you to complete the basic before going on... which is annoying.

Yeah, it's called 'gameafiying' learning.
    The idea being that by passing each level you get regularly get a sense of achievement as you move along.

I used to teach English and this system although very basic is very very good for moving people very quickly through the basics of a language.

Just keep doing it and working your way through it.

When you get about halfway through it you should be able to start watching movies/tv in Spanish, you still won't understand a lot of it to begin with but once you get a bit of an ear for it you'll progress quite quickly.

Edit: I also speak Spanish fluently, but I did before duolingo existed. I would have loved somerhing like this when |I was learning
    paralysed wrote: »
    That was useful so far, but ta lot of the assessments that I want to do are locked! I think it forces you to complete the basic before going on... which is annoying.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 NeverTheLess

I've tried relearning a bit recently, & I've a question:

Take "me temo que estoy equivocado" for example; why is there a 'me' at the start? With other verbs, I don't hear this. Par ejemplo, I seem to hear people say "necesito..." instead of "me yo necesito..."

Grasias

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've completed the Duolingo course and still use it daily to keep fresh. I found it excellent for learning and understanding. IF I concentrate I can follow a lot on radio/TV. However it's another step altogether to form sentences when actually speaking. As far as I can see the only way to learn speaking is to speak with someone fluent in the language.

• Advertisement

They're reflexive verbs

http://www.practicingspanish.com/grammar19.html

Take "me temo que estoy equivocado" for example; why is there a 'me' at the start? With other verbs, I don't hear this. Par ejemplo, I seem to hear people say "necesito..." instead of "me yo necesito..."

Grasias

*Por ejemplo
    *Gracias

Grasias

Advertisement