Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview options, cancelled Sky a long time ago.

Options
  • 25-01-2021 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

So I cancelled Sky ages ago. We have been using Netflix. We don’t have an aerial. I thought I would be able to view RTÉ through the sky box. It’s an old HD box which was installed back in 2012.

What the best way to get free channels on Saorview? Do I need an aerial fitted? I have an 8 way Slx splitter in the attic and that powered a few tv points with magic eyes and we could watch Sky in most rooms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Zane97 wrote: »
    So I cancelled Sky ages ago. We have been using Netflix. We don’t have an aerial. I thought I would be able to view RTÉ through the sky box. It’s an old HD box which was installed back in 2012.

What the best way to get free channels on Saorview? Do I need an aerial fitted? I have an 8 way Slx splitter in the attic and that powered a few tv points with magic eyes and we could watch Sky in most rooms.

Unfortunately you won't be able to watch RTE without an active sky subscription using a sky box.

You can use your existing satellite for a FTA satellite or Freesat if you have a TV or get a set top box with a satellite tuner.

You will need an aerial for saorview. Most TV's released in the last 10 or so years will have a saorview tuner. You could also get a combi box that will do both satellite and terrestrial (saorview). There are plenty of recommendations on the satellite forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cortter

Just buy cheap indoor aerial to watch rte

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Right so how would I get an EPG up then as view English and Irish channels?

I have the two wires there that come into the sky box. I can see “other channels in the menu in sky.

I don’t want to use this old sky box anymore.

And is that SLX amp/ splitter in the attic no good now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Zane97 wrote: »
    Right so how would I get an EPG up then as view English and Irish channels?

I have the two wires there that come into the sky box. I can see “other channels in the menu in sky.

I don’t want to use this old sky box anymore.

And is that SLX amp/ splitter in the attic no good now?

You could maybe still use it for satellite? I'm not sure if it would be of much use. You'd have to ask someone with more knowledge.

Getting a 7 day EPG with both English and Irish channels requires a new box or TV. I'm not really sure what box would suit your needs best.

I recently bought a Sony xh90. While the Irish and UK channels are not in one line, you can flick between them easily and see what's on one while watching the other.

An indoor amplified aerial is the best place to start for RTE. If that doesn't work you may need an attic or outdoor aerial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dubrov

Post your TV model and people will be able to advise the cheapest way to get the free UK and Irish channels

• Advertisement
Advertisement