Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorised blinds availability to Ireland?

Options
  • 15-11-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey

I'm looking for an online supplier of motorised blinds that will deliver to Ireland. Similar to https://www.poweredblinds.co.uk. Anyone know of anything?

If possible, I would like the somfy blind system, where the mechanism is build into the blind before its manufactured. I know ACME supply the motorised blinds, but I cant get much detail on price, or what exactly they supply.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Seems ACME supply Somfy - their logo is on ACME’’s website.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

440Hertz wrote: »
    Seems ACME supply Somfy - their logo is on ACME’’s website.

Thanks, I was in touch with someome from the local ACME store, since its not currently open, but they were vague on the details to say the least. I couldnt get a price off them. If I could order it online and have it delivered for me to fit myself, that would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Home focus stock them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thanks, I was in touch with someome from the local ACME store, since its not currently open, but they were vague on the details to say the least. I couldnt get a price off them. If I could order it online and have it delivered for me to fit myself, that would be ideal.

Been looking to automate my curtains and blinds for nearly 20 years nowz bit could never justify the price, literally 500 euro or even more per window.

Got some wifi controlled curtains for about 200 euro in amazon, and have to say, mightily impressed, and I went and bought 2 more sets from aliexpress at about 140 euro each. I've seen some motorised blinds that work by inserting a motor into the actual tube of the blind, so might give this a go as well.

Been looking to automate my curtains and blinds for nearly 20 years nowz bit could never justify the price, literally 500 euro or even more per window.

Got some wifi controlled curtains for about 200 euro in amazon, and have to say, mightily impressed, and I went and bought 2 more sets from aliexpress at about 140 euro each. I've seen some motorised blinds that work by inserting a motor into the actual tube of the blind, so might give this a go as well.

Any details on them ?

• Advertisement

Have a look at zemismart wifi curtains, on aliexpress or on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085VKTS4F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

€ 121,51 39%OFF | Zemismart New Design WiFi Curtain Motor Tuya Smart Life Customized Electric Curtains Track with RF Remote Alexa Echo Control
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNJKPkp

The Amazon ones were I would say slightly better quality, but happy with both

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daveq

I seen an ad for these:

https://www.electrablinds.ie/home-page

Keep us posted on how you get on, I've started to look into smart blinds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I got Somfy motors fitted inside the roller tube for blonds Castle Blinds were installing. Controlling them via Velbus relays so they integrate into my broader Velbus and OpenHab controlled home automation setup. They are fantastic, 3metre wide blinds so I was worried motors would struggle but they are flawless and I can do things like automate them coming down when the Velbus weather station I have reads above a certain lux level on a really sunny day, and vice versa on a cloudy day. Not cheap but definitely in the “once it’s there you’d miss it if it wasn’t” category.

I got Somfy motors fitted inside the roller tube for blonds Castle Blinds were installing. Controlling them via Velbus relays so they integrate into my broader Velbus and OpenHab controlled home automation setup. They are fantastic, 3metre wide blinds so I was worried motors would struggle but they are flawless and I can do things like automate them coming down when the Velbus weather station I have reads above a certain lux level on a really sunny day, and vice versa on a cloudy day. Not cheap but definitely in the “once it’s there you’d miss it if it wasn’t” category.

Ah, another velbusinian :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ah so this is where the three Irish OpenHABians hang out? lol
    I use it for TRV's, but I was looking at IKEA's smart-blinds, but they only come in +20cm steps.
    I'll have a read about Velbus to see if it's of my taste.

• Advertisement

thanks very much, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Yea, I know ppl think automated blinds are a bit gimmicky, but since working from home, I get up in the mornings, and the house is pitch dark. I think an automated routine to raise the blinds would be really useful

Does anyone know the tube size that IKEA use for their standard roller blinds.

After a bit of research I'm going with Fyrtur blinds from Ikea. On price they probably can't be beaten and I've read the firmware gets updated quite a bit

thanks very much, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Yea, I know ppl think automated blinds are a bit gimmicky, but since working from home, I get up in the mornings, and the house is pitch dark. I think an automated routine to raise the blinds would be really useful

I was thinking gimicky as well with regards curtains/blinds, but I'm a gadget freak so it didn't disuade me, cost was my main concern until recently, very affordable wifi curtains available now

Having put in smart curtains, what I would most definitely say, is they add a huge amount to the heat of the house with respect to insulation. Having the curtains closed in occupied and unnocupied rooms makes a noticable difference to the overall heat level in the house.

3 sets of curtains done, and the plan is to do the whole house in time.

After a bit of research I'm going with Fyrtur blinds from Ikea. On price they probably can't be beaten and I've read the firmware gets updated quite a bit

They’ve very limited sizes. I think 140cm is there largest.

I was thinking finicky as well with regards curtains/blinds, but I'm a gadget freak so it didn't disuade me, cost was my main concern until recently.

Having put in smart curtains, what I would most definitely say, is they add a huge amount to the heat of the house with respect to insulation. Having the curtains closed in occupied and unnocupied rooms makes a noticable difference to the overall heat level in the house.

3 sets of curtains done, and the plan is to do the whole house in time.

How finicky are they ? Was going to get the ones you linked to and some motors for blinds. Set them to open same time as the kids alarms and lights go on

ted1 wrote: »
    How finicky are they ? Was going to get the ones you linked to and some motors for blinds. Set them to open same time as the kids alarms and lights go on

Sorry, finicky was a typo, meant gimicky (as a concept, but I was saying they are not so much, for example heat retention when they close and open automatically )

. The zemismart ones I bought from Amazon are in my opinion very good quality, the ones from Aliexpress are also very good, but not quite as good quality as the zemismart ones (rail is a bit lighter for example).

That said, I will be buying more of the ones from.ali express, the difference in quality is not major, and I would be happy with either if I had bought them out of a major retail outlet, they are not "cheap Chinese crap" by any means.

Watch some installation videos on youtube, and do bear in mind, you porbably need to put a pelmut up.to hide the rail.

I'll see if I can post up some videos of mine later.

ted1 wrote: »
    They’ve very limited sizes. I think 140cm is there largest.

Yea, the definitely dont work for me. One of my windows is 190cm, far too wide.
    Also, am I missing something, they're completely non configurable, you cant cut them down to any size, so you need a window exactly the size they sell in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've ordered one for one of my windows... It's the only window in the house that matches IKEA's sizes... No fault of IKEA, houses in allot of Europe are designed with standardised window sizes...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've ordered one for one of my windows... It's the only window in the house that matches IKEA's sizes... No fault of IKEA, houses in allot of Europe are designed with standardised window sizes...

Same over here , it’s just the measuring tapes that we have not standardised ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I had motorised blinds installed by ACME last year. They weren't smart but they could be set on a timer and had a remote control. They were battery powered and only had to be charged every 5 or 6 months.

ACME installed them - they used a brand called Louvolite: https://www.louvolite.com/product-range/motorised-blinds/

The only complaint I had was that the battery in the remote control was difficult to find when it needed replacing but you can get them in Halfords.

Don't bother with the smart/internet connected side of things - it's not worth the money in my opinion and I love my gadgets.

John_Mc wrote: »
    I had motorised blinds installed by ACME last year. They weren't smart but they could be set on a timer and had a remote control. They were battery powered and only had to be charged every 5 or 6 months.

ACME installed them - they used a brand called Louvolite: https://www.louvolite.com/product-range/motorised-blinds/

The only complaint I had was that the battery in the remote control was difficult to find when it needed replacing but you can get them in Halfords.

Don't bother with the smart/internet connected side of things - it's not worth the money in my opinion and I love my gadgets.

Any guideline price ?

Any guideline price ?

Not that expensive if I remember correctly. About €200-250 on top of what the custom fitted blind cost on its own. No wires or anything so straightforward install and no additional cost.

Not that expensive if I remember correctly. About €200-250 on top of what the custom fitted blind cost on its own. No wires or an
      ything so straightforward install and no additional cost.

That's is expensive though, a set of curtains can be fully automated for about 150 euro,.integrated to google, Amazon etc and with sxhedules.

A blind could be done for about 60 to 70 euro.with the same features

That's is expensive though, a set of curtains can be fully automated for about 150 euro,.integrated to google, Amazon etc and with sxhedules.

A blind could be done for about 60 to 70 euro.with the same features

Ok, if you say so but I find it very hard to believe. I looked into this last year and couldn't find anything at that price range with that functionality.

Why don't you give the OP direct links like he/she asked for instead of criticising my contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Bluefoam wrote: »

There's videos on YouTube showing how to cut the blinds down to your specific size:

https://youtu.be/Y3wts5blIJc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ok, if you say so but I find it very hard to believe. I looked into this last year and couldn't find anything at that price range with that functionality.

Why don't you give the OP direct links like he/she asked for instead of criticising my contribution.

1) I'm not criticising your contribution, I am commenting on it, and adding my own contribution.

2) I already provided links to the op and others, including my opinion on the products I have used, a comparison,.pricing and two places they can look to purchase. I purchased one set for 119 euro in fact. Link's posted earlier.

3) don't be offended by other people.offfering a different opinion or contribution than your own.

Not that expensive if I remember correctly. About €200-250 on top of what the custom fitted blind cost on its own. No wires or anything so straightforward install and no additional cost.

That’s far more expensive that the smart ones who said don’t bother with. ( smart ones are more DIY Install)

• Advertisement

He already did.

Advertisement