Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options
  • 23-10-2020 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Anyone using an ultra wide monitor? I am thinking of getting one but don't know if they are worth it. The option to have multiple applications open side by side would be nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I got a cheap one, second hand, on adverts about a year ago. Crossover 34U100 - 3440x1440 resolution, 100hz. One of the best tech purchases I ever made - only regret is not buying one sooner. Had been close to buying a fancy Alienware one but glad I went for the one I did. Don't need a higher resolution or faster refresh rates. 3 browser windows open side by side is fantastic. Been brilliant for working from home. Use it for the PS4 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have a Samsung 34". To be honest, only complaint I would have is that I sort of wish I'd gone curved as can be a bit of a pain for work sometimes, but other than that had no issue transitioning from 2 24" monitors and couldn't see myself going back to separate screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Have a Samsung 34". To be honest, only complaint I would have is that I sort of wish I'd gone curved as can be a bit of a pain for work sometimes, but other than that had no issue transitioning from 2 24" monitors and couldn't see myself going back to separate screens.

Yeah, mine is curved - defo an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

34" curved UW here using it for years. Great for work and play. The only issue is if you're into FPS games you can end up 'scanning' the screen as it's so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

34" curved UW here using it for years. Great for work and play. The only issue is if you're into FPS games you can end up 'scanning' the screen as it's so big.

This was my experience. It was good for work and single player games but I play a lot of competitive FPS games online and I found it pretty much useless for those as it was too big. 34" UW as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

When i was setting up a work station at home during the first lockdown i got a Dell U4919DW, 5120 x 1440 pixels, aspect ratio 32:9, to work off my work laptop over HDMI.

It is effectivly 2 monitors in one, i have the screen set up into 3 sections and with the laptop acting as the 4th for emails.
    i can have multiple applications open at the same time whike working on a spreedsheet, great for looking at multipe drawings/plans at the same time.

I was so impressed i got another one for the work office.

I have not used it yet for gaming, but did play a litte poker on it, plenty of room for loads of tables at a good size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Another ultrawide user, definitely recommend one, couldn't go back to a normal monitor now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I have a 34" Samsung for around 3 years now 1440p, 100hz curved and it is great
    as others have said I couldn't go back to a smaller screen and they are a lot cheaper now for the same or better specs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

dont listen to these fithy casuals......49'' Ultra Wide is the way to go.

20201024-150056.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Fitz II wrote: »

20201024-150056.jpg

Very tempting for my flight sim setup....I mean work....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

20201024-150056.jpg

How much?

My setup is almost identical, minus the monster :pac:

Lol same keyboard and everything.

A man of taste :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

20201024-150056.jpg

Very Nice!

tusk wrote: »
    How much?

My setup is almost identical, minus the monster :pac:

Its a samsung G9 monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Is that an Asrock mini PC on the left?

Homelander wrote: »
    Is that an Asrock mini PC on the left?

Yep a little desk mini, has a 8700k in it and does duty as a plex and Roon server. Amazing the power you can fit into a little yolk like that these days

• Registered Users Posts: 81,640 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yikes I'd kick the power cable out every other day

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

EOS Webcam beta Fitz? Doing the same, usually gets comments on Zoom/Meet.

ED E wrote: »
    EOS Webcam beta Fitz? Doing the same, usually gets comments on Zoom/Meet.

got it in one, you have to have a sharp webcam game these days, people who are using a potato dont exactly ooze professionalism. It works very well, would be great if they could get the audio through the camera too as I have some decent mics for the cannon, but for the moment have to stick with the snowball which IMHO is not that great. Working on a more elegant mounting solution for the camera and some fill lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lighting is my gripe, colour on the 27" makes me look like the incredible hulk. Got a headset (modmic) for audio.

Anyways, dragging the poor OP off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

20201024-150056.jpg

I managed to get the same monitor for a really good price from Amazon.fr on Prime day - 20% off :)

It's unreal. Have it vesa mounted and it's really tidy.

It's brilliant for work too. So much space.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I managed to get the same monitor for a really good price from Amazon.fr on Prime day - 20% off :)

A G9? Mine was on pre order for months. Is yours a CHg90?

G9 , 5140 x 1440 120hz. No way I'd buy the 1080p one.

Thank god, I waited months if I though I could have gotten one in a prime day sale if would push me over the edge. Yep they are lovely monitors yours going well?

Thank god, I waited months if I though I could have gotten one in a prime day sale if would push me over the edge. Yep they are lovely monitors yours going well?

Just have it the week. It was 'used like new' so that's how I got 20% off. Delivery was late too so they refunded me that as well :) it's unreal, I'll have this monitor for 3/4 years I'd say. Happy as well?

Gis a look at it mounted

tusk wrote: »
    Gis a look at it mounted

:)

• Advertisement

:)

Niiice.

Where would we all be without the alex drawers :pac:

Advertisement