Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for suggestions for a laptop for MS Office, browsing and Netflix/Youtube

Options
  • 30-01-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone

I am looking for a new laptop and am hopping someone on this forum can point me towards something suitable. I've used the template on the 'How to get help on this forum' topic to show what I need it for.

Budget: Up to €700. Prepared to go over if spending a little extra would get some compelling advantage. But also don't want to spend €700 if €500 would get me something that is perfectly adequate for my needs. And of course everyone loves to get a bargain, so any pointers to current sales deals or special offers would be much appreciated.

Intended use:
    • MS Office (mainly Word, Excel, but some Project as well). Current;y mainly use the standalone version of Office tools but I expect I will shift to primarilly use Office 365 soon.
    • Watching Netflix/youtube etc. i.e. watching videos. Would like to be able to 'connect' laptop to TV for viewing on TV.
    • Internet browsing, email

Mobility: Mobility is not that important as I will be generally using it from my home office. I would prefer a decent size screen over very low weight. I'd like something that can be easily connected to an external monitor and keyboard - don't like to spend extended period working on laptop size keyboard/monitor.

Warranty: Standard warranty should be fine..

What Operating System do you use? Windows

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Comments

just spotted this the other day

15 inch,
    all-metal build
    IPS screen
    4-core i5
    8gb ram

delivered just over €460 through Europe

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/VORKE-Notebook-15-Laptop--8GB-RAM-256GB-ROM-Silver-421138.html

1 year warranty. trustworthy site

won't get anything near the specs for the money in pc world etc

extensive review

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Thanks very much Glasso.

tmh106 wrote: »
    Thanks very much Glasso.

really looks a great deal and the review doesn't throw up any red flags.

full metal build and IPS screen are outstanding features for the price. backlit keyboard also. heck you can even turn it into a macbook if you wish as the reviewer guy did.

ram and ssd fully up-gradable as well as the option to add a cheap 2.5 inch sata ssd or HDD easily are good features also.

let me know how you get on if you go for it.

Thanks glasso. Looks like a very good deal. My only concern is I don't know anything about the manufacturer (vorke) and not being an expert I'm a little uncomfortable that it is not a brand I recognise - but I guess that's why it is such a great price.

But having said all that, I probably will go for it.

Thanks again.

Thanks glasso. Looks like a very good deal. My only concern is I don't know anything about the manufacturer (vorke) and not being an expert I'm a little uncomfortable that it is not a brand I recognise - but I guess that's why it is such a great price.

But having said all that, I probably will go for it.

Thanks again.

it's true that they are not exactly that well known but they have a history of making pc's (specifically mini desktop pc's). laptops are is some ways a commodity item really these days and it's only in the case of smaller size laptops or gaming laptops where the components are more packed together or produce a lot of heat that you're likely to run into problems due to lack of effective heat dissipation. this is a 15 inch size where there is no discrete (separate) graphics card or major space constraints so heat is not a worry.

• Advertisement

You could also look into the Viglen laptop that's often for sale for £400 (~€475) (but currently for sale for £432) that is very similarly spec'd (but with a smaller screen), but also has a touchscreen, a fingerprint reader and a UK site is likely easier to deal with for warranty.

I have a similar budget to yours of 700 and this laptop for €649 is I think one of the best laptop deals I've seen in a long while, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like the Irish Lenovo site has the same deal and the Spanish site doesn't ship internationally. :(

glasso wrote: »
    ... laptops are is some ways a commodity item really these days and it's only in the case of smaller size laptops or gaming laptops where the components are more packed together or produce a lot of heat that you're likely to run into problems ...

Thanks glasso, understood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

great find on that Vorke glasso, savings of at least €200 over the main brands. The ability to add a second SSD is unreal.
    If the website is sound I'd seriously consider.

Hi Glasso, all.

One other question I thought of. Is it possible and practical to be able to connect the Vorke laptop to an external monitor (e.g. 24") and to an external wireless keyboard? I assume there is not the option of a docking station with this laptop.

Thanks.

Hi Glasso, all.

One other question I thought of. Is it possible and practical to be able to connect the Vorke laptop to an external monitor (e.g. 24") and to an external wireless keyboard? I assume there is not the option of a docking station with this laptop.

Thanks.

there would be no issue at all with that - hdmi cable out to monitor and a wireless keyboard through a usb dongle or none needed if using a bluetooth keyboard.

• Advertisement

I tried to order the Vorke from geekbuying.com but my credit card was declined - tried a couple of times to make sure it was not a data entry error on my part.

I received the following email from Geekbuying:
    "Thanks for your support to Geekbuying.com. For security purposes we have declined the transaction for Order No.5139691.
    Your payment will be returned to your account in 7-15 business days. We apologize for this inconvenience.
    If you would like to continue this order you can simply re-order the desired items using a payment method other than credit card, e.g. PayPal."

Anyone experience this before from Geekbuying.comn? I'm pretty certain the card is fine.

I tried to order the Vorke from geekbuying.com but my credit card was declined - tried a couple of times to make sure it was not a data entry error on my part.

I received the following email from Geekbuying:
    "Thanks for your support to Geekbuying.com. For security purposes we have declined the transaction for Order No.5139691.
    Your payment will be returned to your account in 7-15 business days. We apologize for this inconvenience.
    If you would like to continue this order you can simply re-order the desired items using a payment method other than credit card, e.g. PayPal."

Anyone experience this before from Geekbuying.comn? I'm pretty certain the card is fine.

never had a problem like that and I've bought a number of things from them.

maybe try their live chat

https://www.geekbuying.com/help/about/address/

I talked to Geekshipping and they said my bank refused to honour the card. Sure enough I got a text from the bank saying that Geekshipping was trying to put a charge on this and if it was OK. I replied that it was. Retried ordering this morning and it went through OK.
    Should arrive in 2-10 days.

I talked to Geekshipping and they said my bank refused to honour the card. Sure enough I got a text from the bank saying that Geekshipping was trying to put a charge on this and if it was OK. I replied that it was. Retried ordering this morning and it went through OK.
    Should arrive in 2-10 days.

looks a good item from the specs and comprehensive youtube review but let us know your impressions when you get it.

looks a good item from the specs and comprehensive youtube review but let us know your impressions when you get it.

Will do Glasso. Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Anyone bought that Vorke yet? I'm seriously considering it, looking for a review or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anyone bought that Vorke yet? I'm seriously considering it, looking for a review or two!

thinking of going for 1 as well, my trusty 9 year old hp is struggling big time , can't complain that machine has serious hours/work done

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Mask 13

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-cf1502sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10193348-pdt.html

Am I missing something or is this a pretty good deal? €759
    i7 processor
    512 ssd
    8g ram
    Type c port
    Ips screen
    Miracast
    Hdmi
    Sd card reader

There are similar options but they seem to be at least €200 dearer. Eg hp pavillion, envy etc. Is there something I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-cf1502sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10193348-pdt.html

Am I missing something or is this a pretty good deal? €759
    i7 processor
    512 ssd
    8g ram
    Type c port
    Ips screen
    Miracast
    Hdmi
    Sd card reader

There are similar options but they seem to be at least €200 dearer. Eg hp pavillion, envy etc. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm getting tempted by the Vorke, very curious to hear the OPs feedback.

Glasso, which would you think between the Vorke, and dell
    I just saw on the main laptop thread?

Vorke has

4-core i5 vs 2-core sub i3
    8gb ram vs 4gb
    all-metal build vs plastic
    bigger ssd drive
    ips screen vs tn panel

no contest really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

just spotted this the other day

15 inch,
    all-metal build
    IPS screen
    4-core i5
    8gb ram

delivered just over €460 through Europe

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/VORKE-Notebook-15-Laptop--8GB-RAM-256GB-ROM-Silver-421138.html

1 year warranty. trustworthy site

won't get anything near the specs for the money in pc world etc

extensive review

Cheaper through Spain

torrevieja wrote: »
    Cheaper through Spain

it's not.

not for the model that is worth buying - the 4-core i5 8250u cpu model

the i7 is an old 2-core model cpu from 2013 that's only half the power which you don't want to buy.

Only available from China now, does that make any difference? Bit cheaper too.

Don't want to get caught paying a big customs bill or something.

Only available from China now, does that make any difference? Bit cheaper too.

Don't want to get caught paying a big customs bill or something.

if you order from China you do risk customs.

I've heard that the "EU priority line" shipping option avoids this by delivering into a point in Europe and on from there to the destination but I'm not guaranteeing this!

maybe set up an "in-stock" email alert to see if it comes back into stock in the Europe, Spain etc warehouses.

if you order from China you do risk customs.

I've heard that the "EU priority line" shipping option avoids this by delivering into a point in Europe and on from there to the destination but I'm not guaranteeing this!

maybe set up an "in-stock" email alert to see if it comes back into stock in the Europe, Spain etc warehouses.
    Will do, but I've got a small window to get it there cause I don't actually live in Europe either!

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

I can see this is still available in Europe ?

Just want to make sure it the right one before o buy

degzs wrote: »
    I can see this is still available in Europe ?

Just want to make sure it the right one before o buy

yes

has anybody received this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

has anybody received this yet?

Pulled the trigger this morning. Maybe next week hopefully.

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger this morning. Maybe next week hopefully.

do come back with a report.

the first guy who bought it never did.

Advertisement