Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 153: Please post questions here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jimpchannel

Is there any news re Discovery and National Geographic availability on FTA ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Welcome to boards .Please post this on a different thread, this thread is only for questions specifically related to the Ariva 153 receiver model. Yours is a more general broadcasting question.

Is there any news re Discovery and National Geographic availability on FTA ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Having problems with some of the Irish channels. How can I rescan or retune these channels? I assume its necessary to update frequencies occasionally.

Its not necessary at all to retune Irish Saorview channels. If you have lost the channels completely its more likely to point to a problem with your aerial. What kind of problems are you having ?

Having problems with some of the Irish channels. How can I rescan or retune these channels? I assume its necessary to update frequencies occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Several of the Irish Channels are scrambled. Not all the time but most of the time. I had it installed earlier this year, they worked perfectly up til about 2 weeks ago. No one touched the aerial so I don't know why this has happened.

• Advertisement

You can use the terrestrial manual scan from the set up menu to check signal quality. You can find out what channel frequency you need to set to from the coverage checker on saorview.ie https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Sounds to me like someone has some of the Irish Channels that are encrypted on Astra 28.2E mixed in their channel list causing the confusion. The word scrambled wouldn't appear otherwise would it ? If the channel has a $ sign in its name this would definitely be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

On my Ariva 153 I've received "no signal" and IIRC "scrambled" messages as a result of a loose connection or one which has fallen out entirely. I'm not sure is it just with my unit but the saorview/terrestrial antenna connection appears loose (again again i'm not sure if its on the box side of things or the coax end point) and though we move the TV a bit (spinning it around for viewing when sitting at a table), it falls out from time to time. The satellite [F] connection is screw on so that's not a problem. Might be as basic as that.

New Firmware version 1.30 which I'm just about to test. here is the change log

"version: 1.30B7

- fixed all internet apps icons
    - improved semi-twin tuner functionality
    - removed iptv 100 channel limits
    - quick access to iptv by pressing F4 on RCU
    - fixed iptv list volume control
    - fixed online update functionality
    - fixed SCART 8-pin off in deep standby (clock off)
    - improved aerial adjustment for Combo models
    - improved audio DD & DD+ decoding
    - fixed time-shift buffer size setting failure
    - removed Picasa support (service off by Google from 1 May of 2016)
    - rebuild FastScan functionality for NL, CZ, SK, BE, LUX
    - and other minor mistakes..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

Could someone please post a channel list for v1.29b8.
    Tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Folks just bought one of these today after leaving Sky. Is it just a matter of taking the two wires out of the dish input 1 & 2 on my Sky box and putting them into LNB in & out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Folks just bought one of these today after leaving Sky. Is it just a matter of taking the two wires out of the dish input 1 & 2 on my Sky box and putting them into LNB in & out?

Just take one of the wires from the LNB inputs on your current sky box and attach to the LNB IN.

There is no real value to that LNB out connection and absolutely zero point in connecting your other LNB input to it.

If you have an aerial connection you should connect that to the "ANT In" connection

Avns1s wrote: »
    Just take one of the wires from the LNB inputs on your current sky box and attach to the LNB IN.

There is no real value to that LNB out connection and absolutely zero point in connecting your other LNB input to it.

If you have an aerial connection you should connect that to the "ANT In" connection

Did that and I'm only getting a signal intensity of 40% and signal quality of 10%. Satellite dish is fine where it is I believe because it worked with Sky for years and even when I cancelled the subscription the picture quality on the two BBC's was perfect?

Did that and I'm only getting a signal intensity of 40% and signal quality of 10%. Satellite dish is fine where it is I believe because it worked with Sky for years and even when I cancelled the subscription the picture quality on the two BBC's was perfect?

I am not at a box at the minute, but it sounds like the box is looking for the wrong satellite.

Go into the Main menu, select Satellite List and uncheck all but "Eurobird 28". You'll have a heart beside it.

Exit out of that and go to "Single Satellite Search" and set the scan type to "Blind" and press ok to do a search.

I am not at a box at the minute, but it sounds like the box is looking for the wrong satellite.

Go into the Main menu, select Satellite List and uncheck all but "Eurobird 28". You'll have a heart beside it.

Exit out of that and go to "Single Satellite Search" and set the scan type to "Blind" and press ok to do a search.

No Eurobird 28, only Eurobird 1, 9A, and 3. Tried some of them and still nothing found. I was always under the presumption that it was Astra 2A which was the one to go for?

Tried Astra as well and no joy.

No Eurobird 28, only Eurobird 1, 9A, and 3. Tried some of them and still nothing found. I was always under the presumption that it was Astra 2A which was the one to go for?

Tried Astra as well and no joy.

Sorry, as I say, not near a box so working from memory. Eurobird 1 - 28.5 is the one to go for.

Try it again. Only have the "heart" symbol beside this one.

Was the 153 not pre programmed with satellite channels ?

Probably pre-programmed with the Hotbird or Astra1 channels from the description.

Thanks. Might be easier to programme it with an astra 2 list using a USB key

Probably pre-programmed with the Hotbird or Astra1 channels from the description.

Ok Eurobird gives me a rake of English channels. However all the Irish ones are scrambled. Do I need to connect the box to my aerial on the roof in order to get the Irish channels?

• Advertisement

Ok Eurobird gives me a rake of English channels. However all the Irish ones are scrambled. Do I need to connect the box to my aerial on the roof in order to get the Irish channels?

Yes, you do. Connect the aerial and then do a "Terrestrial Scan".

You would probably have been better to scan for the FTA channels only. You wouldn't have ended up with all the clutter of the subscription channels that you cant open.

If you need an organized free channel list let me know and I can post one up here for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Could you post it up here Tony. Im having issues with my 153 where im loosing channels an they come back randomly. Mainly BBCs an ITVs. Thought it was my dish but some channels still come in.

wobbles wrote: »
    Could you post it up here Tony. Im having issues with my 153 where im loosing channels an they come back randomly. Mainly BBCs an ITVs. Thought it was my dish but some channels still come in.

It could still be your alignment or the skew of your LNB. What's your signal strength and quality like? (Press the white button towards the bottom of the remote)

If you have an alignment or other issue, a revised channel list wont sort it for you.

BBC 1 Intensity is 45% and quality only 10% gives the No signal error
    Channel 4 HD 90% and 70% and works perfect

What would cause different strengths here when its the same dish

BBC 1 Intensity is 45% and quality only 10% gives the No signal error
    Channel 4 HD 90% and 70% and works perfect

What would cause different strengths here when its the same dish

These are some things that come to mind:
    1. Dish alignment.
    2. LNB Skew.
    3. A cordless phone near the box or cable from the LNB,
    4. Poor connections (unlikely from your description.

OK so I got the English channels working no bother and I bought a cable and connected it up and did a terrestrial TV scan but cannot find any Irish channels? Anyone have an clue what the issue is?

OK so I got the English channels working no bother and I bought a cable and connected it up and did a terrestrial TV scan but cannot find any Irish channels? Anyone have an clue what the issue is?

What did u connect the cable to?

Is your tv, a saorview tv by any chance?

I'm happy to but I also agree with the guys that there's an issue other than the channel list going on . Can you go into "information" in the menu and tell me what software version you currently have ?

• Advertisement

These are some things that come to mind:
    1. Dish alignment.
    2. LNB Skew.
    3. A cordless phone near the box or cable from the LNB,
    4. Poor connections (unlikely from your description.

Think its between 1 an 2. I dont have a cordless phone, I do have a 4g modem but after unplugging that it has made no difference. Some channels are fine so connection problems are doubtful.

Last night BBC was signal intensity 45%/Quality 10%. Today its intensity is 90% but quality is changing from 50-70 with the screen freezing to 10-30% with no signal. All of these on Astra 2
    Did a new scan last night on Eurobird 1 and that has brought in ITV which seems to be working fine so far. No freezing etc when the all the ITVs from the last scan on Astra 2 are showing no signal

Tony wrote: »
    I'm happy to but I also agree with the guys that there's an issue other than the channel list going on . Can you go into "information" in the menu and tell me what software version you currently have ?

Its still on the same software version from when I got it. V1.28B1. I was hoping when I was making the last channel list myself that I delete the wrong versions of channels that they are now causing the problems but it seems to be bigger than that now

Ok heres a 1.28b6 list with freesat and three rock transmitter, just delete the terrestrial and re scan if you are not on 3 rock. Its a few weeks old so one or two channels (not the bbc's) may need to be altered. As always if you get any bin file mis match messages do not proceed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B55j4aCWyNIGRUUzUzQ1VWVIUUU/view?usp=sharing

Its still on the same software version from when I got it. V1.28B1. I was hoping when I was making the last channel list myself that I delete the wrong versions of channels that they are now causing the problems but it seems to be bigger than that now

What did u connect the cable to?

Is your tv, a saorview tv by any chance?

When I scan, DVB-T 482.00Mhz and 506.00Mhz fails.

I've also tried scanning on the TV itself but alas no channels found again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

What kind of aerial are you using?

Tony wrote: »
    Ok heres a 1.28b6 list with freesat and three rock transmitter, just delete the terrestrial and re scan if you are not on 3 rock. Its a few weeks old so one or two channels (not the bbc's) may need to be altered. As always if you get any bin file mis match messages do not proceed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B55j4aCWyNIGRUUzUzQ1VWVIUUU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks Tony.

Ive ran the new channel list earlier and it still brings up signal loss on some channels like BBCs and ITVs

Have just checked again and they are all working now. Only difference between now and then is the weather outside. Earlier it was raining and last night was showers. Right now its quite clear outside. Has to be a hardware issue Im thinking.

Would certain channels remain unaffected if it was the dish was causing the problem. Channels like Channel 4,5 music and kids channels have never been affected. Just seems to be BBC/ITV and E4 that are having the signal loss

Thurston? wrote: »
    What kind of aerial are you using?

Just the standard aerial on the roof?

• Advertisement

Just the standard aerial on the roof?

Right, so you're trying for the Castlebar transmitter? You're sure the aerial is set up for Castlebar &, if not, did you try an autoscan of all frequencies?

If the aerial is definitely on Castlebar, maybe there's something like an amplifier missing its power supply?

Thanks Tony.

Ive ran the new channel list earlier and it still brings up signal loss on some channels like BBCs and ITVs

Have just checked again and they are all working now. Only difference between now and then is the weather outside. Earlier it was raining and last night was showers. Right now its quite clear outside. Has to be a hardware issue Im thinking.

Would certain channels remain unaffected if it was the dish was causing the problem. Channels like Channel 4,5 music and kids channels have never been affected. Just seems to be BBC/ITV and E4 that are having the signal loss

Your loss of channels especially during showers is your dish, its not properly aligned. You need to tweak the dish ever so slightly.

Is this piece of cable connected to an outdoor aerial on the roof. Are you sure you connected the cable properly to the aerial. What type of cable did you use ?

Thurston? wrote: »
    Right, so you're trying for the Castlebar transmitter? You're sure the aerial is set up for Castlebar &, if not, did you try an autoscan of all frequencies?

If the aerial is definitely on Castlebar, maybe there's something like an amplifier missing its power supply?

I'm nearly sure I tried all frequencies but I'll check tomorrow and report back.
    STB. wrote: »
    Is this piece of cable connected to an outdoor aerial on the roof. Are you sure you connected the cable properly to the aerial. What type of cable did you use ?

The cable used was the standard cable you used to connect the television to the aerial to back in the analogue days; excuse my ignorance for not knowing it's correct title. I only bought the cable yesterday as well.

I have a feel the aerial is faulty or pointed in the wrong direction, we got Sky over 10 years ago so there was no need for it so maybe it was damaged/moved over the period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Anybody know if u can copy a channel list from one ariva model to another? Say a 153 to a 252?

• Advertisement

Pete2k wrote: »
    Anybody know if u can copy a channel list from one ariva model to another? Say a 153 to a 252?

Yes, it is possible BUT it is risky. I have done it successfully many times but you have a high risk of having your box come up with the "ASH" error and needing to be restored using a null modem cable. So unless you have this cable and are comfortable using it / or have someone obliging that will restore for you, I'd leave it.

The best method of having a channel list on these boxes is to scan and create your own, or alternatively, but still carrying a small risk, is to upgrade the firmware with your desired channel list embedded. This, of course, is specific to each model box and absolutely non transferrable between differing models.

Not had the time this week to check TV but now seems that ive lost all sat channels completely. Checked the box in another room where there is another cable and while they are showing there, Im getting the same issues I was having in the sitting room.

Reckon its the point where the cables are joining the dish outside. Any idea on costs of installing a new dish? Last thing I need right now as we already have builders in doing other work

... Any idea on costs of installing a new dish? Last thing I need right now as we already have builders in doing other work

Does the start of your signal problem predate the start of building work?

The builders haven't interfered with the dish, or erected anything in the signal path?

No its there before they started. And any work they have done has been no where near the cable path that is now gone. The ish doesnt seem to be 'pointed' up enough compared to those on other houses in the area, although we are in the country so its not like I can actually see another dish at the same time as my own

No its there before they started. And any work they have done has been no where near the cable path that is now gone. The ish doesnt seem to be 'pointed' up enough compared to those on other houses in the area ...

By signal path, I meant between the dish & the satellite, say if they'd put up scaffolding that was partially blocking the dish 'seeing' the relevant part of the sky. Anyhow irrelevant, as you say the trouble was already present.

As for being 'pointed up', the dishes typically used for domestic reception, when used in Ireland for the satellites at 28 degrees east, the dish face will actually be pointing down slightly, due to the geometry involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Just came across this thread and read it from start to finish, very interesting information. I posted this elsewhere but ill try get it deleted as it should be here.
    I recently purchased 2 ariva153's (Ferguson). I have the Ariel connected for Irish channels and the dish connected for UK FTA channels. The signal quality on dish is approx 90%.

Every time I turn on the box it will only display guide info for about 90% of channels. Like today, it displayed info for all channels except the Channel5/5*/5USA/Spike (all on same transponder).

I rebooted the box then those channels displayed guide info but then I lost it for yesterday,really,drama etc.

I rebooted device again and it worked for those channels but I lost it for the ITV's. Its a constant problem. I know I have the right frequencies because ALL channels display the programme info, just they wont all work together.

Anyone else have this issue? I know the saorview displays 7 days EPG and the FTA should display now&next.

Thanks

FTA will only display Now and Next info for the channels on transponders on which you have tuned into a channel very recently. It won't display all Now and Next info on the "guide" for all channels, just those recently visited and others on the same transponder. A sky box uses a different method to populate the Programme info.

If you flick down through your channel list one at a time, it should display now and next info after a brief delay on all channels. It will then hold this info until it expires timewise.

I don't think I made a good job of explaining it but I hope it helps.

FTA will only display Now and Next info for the channels on transponders on which you have tuned into a channel very recently. It won't display all Now and Next info on the "guide" for all channels, just those recently visited and others on the same transponder. A sky box uses a different method to populate the Programme info.

If you flick down through your channel list one at a time, it should display now and next info after a brief delay on all channels. It will then hold this info until it expires timewise.

I don't think I made a good job of explaining it but I hope it helps.

Thanks very much for the reply and yes you made a great job. But its when I am going through channels one by one, its then that some channels just say "No information". Like with Channel 5 yesterday, I stayed on the channel 2+hours and it still never appeared. When you press the "info" button it didnt even have the EPG logo.
    But when I rebooted the box it worked but then other transponders didnt.
    I dont know if I'm making much sense now.

Yes, I have seen this to happen but a reboot of the box usually sorts it.

By the way, by reboot, I mean switch off at the back of the box or at the wall socket for a few seconds and hen back on again. Switching off with the remote and on again, won't do it!

Yes, I have seen this to happen but a reboot of the box usually sorts it.

By the way, by reboot, I mean switch off at the back of the box or at the wall socket for a few seconds and hen back on again. Switching off with the remote and on again, won't do it!

I feel like a mumpty. I have only been switching on/off via the remote. But I was counting to 10 :pac::pac::pac: I will do what you suggested :) Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement