Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light but no power!

• 26-01-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

My son has built his pc over the last few months. I got him a new fan for Christmas and the day after he installed it the computer died.
    I brought it into a repair shop and the guy said he ran a diagnostics check and said we needed a new motherboard.
    I bought this and it arrived yesterday however the only sign of power is an rgb decorative light. The fan does not turn on our any other sign of power going to the board.
    We have gone over all the connections and they appear to be correct.
    Any ideas before I bring it back to a pc repair shop?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If the RGB is on, then it does have power.

Is there any response to the power button at all, however brief? Have you tried removing the other components, or setting it up outside the case to test? There could be a loose screw or something causing a short.

I'd be very skeptical the board is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Spear wrote: »
    If the RGB is on, then it does have power.

Is there any response to the power button at all, however brief? Have you tried removing the other components, or setting it up outside the case to test? There could be a loose screw or something causing a short.

I'd be very skeptical the board is dead.
    There was a split second movement from the fan twice. Nothing more.
    I took the graphics card out ti get more room to check the tiny power switch connections.

My son said there was also a flash of an led on the graphics card once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

My son has built his pc over the last few months. I got him a new fan for Christmas and the day after he installed it the computer died.
    I brought it into a repair shop and the guy said he ran a diagnostics check and said we needed a new motherboard.
    I bought this and it arrived yesterday however the only sign of power is an rgb decorative light. The fan does not turn on our any other sign of power going to the board.
    We have gone over all the connections and they appear to be correct.
    Any ideas before I bring it back to a pc repair shop?

Reseat the ram or else take one stick out and vice versa (if there's two)

Kilboor wrote: »
    Reseat the ram or else take one stick out and vice versa (if there's two)

Tried that but nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Take it out of the case, put it on a box(none conductive surface), power it up.

Disconnect all the hard drives, try to start it.
    Then pull out the graphics card, try to start it.
    Ram, start it,
    CPU, start it.

Odd's are there is a short, caused when he plugged the fan it. Something is touching that is not meant to be.

I took everything out of the case and added everything one item at a time. Everything is turning on, Ied's, fans whirring etc. All was going well until we connected the monitor via hdmi and the keyboard via USB. Also there are no led's working on the case by the power button.

I think we are close but just not there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

Take out ram and if you have more then one use only one at a time.

Has you motherboard got onboard graphics? Dose you cpu have graphics as well so you can test setup without graphics card.

jhud wrote: »
    Take out ram and if you have more then one use only one at a time.

Has you motherboard got onboard graphics? Dose you cpu have graphics as well so you can test setup without graphics card.

Tried removing the ram and the fan etc came on but stopped after about 2 seconds. The led on the case also came on and went off.

Replaced the ram again and back to where we were previously.

Advertisement